Mt Beauty Fires (Buller shown too)

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Is there anyone on here from Mt Beauty that can tell us if the DH track is burnt out? It looks pretty bad according to this map from the CFA website:
(Mt Beauty is located top right of the map)

PyletSnviper

Likes Dirt
i hate to kill your asking for a update...but i think people living there might have other things to worry about at the moment rather than their beloved track... like their HOMES AND LIVES :eek:

|Matt|

Banned
i hate to kill your asking for a update...but i think people living there might have other things to worry about at the moment rather than their beloved track... like their HOMES AND LIVES :eek:
Says the man who wanted to let the fires burn themselves out...

I'd like to know how much of Beauty is burnt, I have friends who live there and they haven't been answering their phones.

demo man

Used to be cool.
Looks like Buller is fine, Beauty however...

Wonder what would happen if that track were to disappera - our Nationals DH finals are meant to be there in Feb!

Oh - and I hope like hell no peopl eget hurt. Ideally little or no property damged either, but that one seems unlikely.

roxy12

Fat Tyre Flyers
Looks like Buller is fine, Beauty however...

Wonder what would happen if that track were to disappera - our Nationals DH finals are meant to be there in Feb!

Oh - and I hope like hell no peopl eget hurt. Ideally little or no property damged either, but that one seems unlikely.
not the first time its happened, eildon nationals 05;) beauty was schedualed for then to.

tim_69

Likes Dirt
Says the man who wanted to let the fires burn themselves out...
There is no chance of the fires being put unless we get stacks of rain so it is just going to end up the fires burning out the high country. Most firefighting will be backburning around towns and doing asset protection.

projectsplat

The film guy
Out of interest, where on the CFA website did you find that map? I have been hunting on there for the last hour and cannot find any kind of fire coverage map.

We have got photography shoots planned for the next two weeks, and this could really stuff us up.

Cheers

Al

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tracks will be fine, remember in 2003 when the fires ripped through there. That was the reason the nationals were postponed that year. The bush regenerates relatively quickly so by september when the nationals were on it was fine for riding.

Our house up there was waterbombed on Tuesday so it must be pretty close.

gravity

Likes Dirt
The fire at Mt Beauty has come across over the top of Big Hill above Mt Beauty. I'm not sure how far down towards the town the fire has burnt (ie- the trails of the Big Hill MTB Park) but it definately burnt over the top of Big Hill itself. Must be close to if not already taken out the top of the Big Hill DH trail. Been speaking to someone at Mt Beauty this week...all he wants is to see some clean fresh air !! Fingers crossed the damage is minimal.

ferg

Likes Dirt
does anyone know what happens if the dh track is burnt out and the national race is unable to take place in beauty is there a back up location or will the round be postponed or just cancelled.

thanks ferg

gravity

Likes Dirt
does anyone know what happens if the dh track is burnt out and the national race is unable to take place in beauty is there a back up location or will the round be postponed or just cancelled.

thanks ferg
It has only burnt near the top of the long course BIG HILL DH trail as far as I know. The DH and XC trails below the mountain Mt Beauty itself are ok (at this stage) where the Nats round is being held. I've spoken to one of the organisers of the race and he doesn't seem too concerned with the fires at present.

gravity

Likes Dirt
Just saw this today on the CFA fire update website-

Crews continue to work hard on containment with backburning being undertaken along the Old Big Hill Cattle Track to Crankie Charlie to strengthen containment lines south east of Mt Beauty.

Interpret what u like from it ??

ContactJT

diddlee dee.... po-TAY-toes
Buller not open till Jan

Just got a call from Club spurs (buller lift) saying they are not opening till Jan.

I was comin down to VIC to ride buller 26 till 28th.

Where else will I find DH in Vic? I need to try to rescue the holiday and get some riding in.

Any help or advise is much appreciated.

Thanks,

JT

gnarly_rider

Likes Dirt
Big Hill, but likely to be even more affected bby fires than Buller.

Mt Stanley, talk to the Beechworth Chain Gang

Barjarg, not far from Mansfield http://www.smbp.com.au/

You Yangs, but not worth coming all the way down from NSW for.

Apollo Bay, fun, but a hell of a long way from NE Vic

gravity

Likes Dirt
Yeah, u could ride Australia's longest DH trail at Mt Stanley. Our club http://www.beechworthchaingang.com runs shuttles on demand if u r keen (contact me by PM or my e-mail is on the club website). There's also the mtb park near town with jumps, short course DH + freeride + XC trails. Cheers, Paul

p.s.- just confirmed, the top of the short course DH trail has been burnt (below big hill) will still be ready and ok for the national round. It isn't burning lsuper hot and intense like it did in 2003

Just got a call from Club spurs (buller lift) saying they are not opening till Jan.

I was comin down to VIC to ride buller 26 till 28th.

Where else will I find DH in Vic? I need to try to rescue the holiday and get some riding in.

Any help or advise is much appreciated.

Thanks,

JT