Moving to Perth/ should I bring my Freeride bike?

nitrotech

Cannon Fodder
Hello everyone. I'm moving to Perth from Seattle Washington in February while my much better-lookin half attends Curtin College for the next 2 years. I ride the North Shore and Whistler often. So I'm used to riding skinnies, jump trails, gaps, drops, and all sorts of tech stuff. I have a 6" freeride bike but I also ride a BMX bike: street, park, and dirt jumping (my first love in regards to biking) Scanning the threads I get the idea that there are some good trails, but not finding good descriptions (I realize I might not be searching well enough) of the trails themselves. What should I expect from the trails in WA? I don't expect a mirror image of Whistler Mountain bike park and I don't need a chair lift to ride. But are there trails with skinnies, gaps, and drops in WA? Whats the average elevation change on the trails in WA? I've found stuff on DH race courses and those types of trails. I don't race, I don't have to hit every trail going mock-nipple fast. I just like to have fun and laugh at myself when I do something stupid. Of most the threads I've read so far, people are riding the trails on single-speed hardtails (again I realize I have more to search and read). And then there is the polar opposite where people are blazin DH bikes and racing. Where I'm going with all this is, I'm bringing my BMX bike cause it fits in my checked luggage and a fixed gear for a commuter. Should I bring my Freeride bike or just leave it home?

just a side note: I'm not the type to ride a trail and not offer to swing a shovel and contribute to the maintenance and building of new trails.

How's the BMX (not BMX race tracks, everything else) scene in Perth? It sounds like there are some good spots around the area to ride. I may post a thread in the BMX area for this question but wanted to give it a shot here while I was at it: How's the street scene? Are most spots a bust (getting kicked out by authorities) conflicts with skaters? Or does everyone get along well? Anyway, nice to meet you and thanks in advance for any input you can offer.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you wont find much in the way of shore and decent sized drops over here, theres a few trails with pretty good jumps and gaps and drops but they are race trails, you dont have to ride full on down them though

TheBofh

Likes Dirt
Curtin itself has a lot to offer the street BMXer, as long as you can avoid the security monkeys. Manning skatepark is 5 minutes down the road, it's not bad. There's a very healthy BMX scene in Perth, the skateparks aren't all that good compared to over East though but the locals seem to make the most of them. Most of the MTB scene is downhill but there's very little freeride as such. What there is is mostly in Gunjin. Check out the WA Freeride link in my sig; there's regular shuttled group rides organised.

koo

Likes Bikes
i would say that its worth bringing your freeride bike. i manage to have plenty of fun on mine!

nitrotech

Cannon Fodder
Hi folks, after more research and some good advice I decided to leave the junkie commuter home and bring the Freeride bike. It'll cost to much money to bring both on the plane. I can't wait to get down there. Thanks again for the all the info.

Brufafa

Likes Bikes
Was it worth it?

Hi

It looks like I might be moving from sunny London. I currently ride FR/DH.

I am keen to know if it was worth bringing your fr bike?

Hope it was. It seems mad to turn down a job based on my hobby

ovadahill

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi folks, after more research and some good advice I decided to leave the junkie commuter home and bring the Freeride bike. It'll cost to much money to bring both on the plane. I can't wait to get down there. Thanks again for the all the info.
Save your baggage allowance for other stuff. I would pack all three bikes in a hard box and have them shipped over. Perth has got some of the best connected commuter pathways in the country. The Bullcreek and Cockburn BMX tracks are not too far and are usually open at all times for practice runs.