Moving the post up/down with internal routed dropper posts?

badtreefrog

Likes Bikes
I'm looking at getting an internal dropper post but only have a 27.2 DIA seatpost. The 100-120mm travel available on these posts is not really enough for me to go from climbing to super steep descents or jumping where I usually just slam my seatpost all the way down. I reckon I need to put the post down another 50mm from where I have it for climbs and moderate descents.

My questions is this - can you move the posts up and down in the seat tube easy enough, what happens to the cable? Does it just slide in and out of the holes in the frame?

moorey

call me Mia
Depends a lot on the frame in my experience. Some will tolerate an inch or so bunching up in the seat tube, others will play up at the slightest move.
Yes, you can pull a bit out of the hole, or feed some in if needed.

Shredden

Knows his goats
My questions is this - can you move the posts up and down in the seat tube easy enough, what happens to the cable? Does it just slide in and out of the holes in the frame?
You usually can move them up and down, so long as there's clearance in the frame (i.e. no bottle cage bolts) because you have to keep in mind a dropper will be a fair bit longer than your existing post.

However, the inside of the frame often has sharp edges and corners which will wear out the outer cable really quickly if you're pushing it up and down heaps. The cable won't exactly slide in and out of the holes in the frame, you usually have to jiggle and pull it a bit too.

Overall - probably not going to work well, unless you're looking to put it up and down only once a ride or so.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Also depends on whether there is a suspension pivot on the seat tube... Most droppers will have the cable feed offset from centre so you need to think about which side of the pivot bolt inside the seat tube the cable should be.

My Trance for example was sensitive to this, and the cable routing had to be right or else it jams and binds the cable... If you're moving it down, it might not be able to accommodate what was previously an ok bend in the cable if its jamming up against the pivot.

badtreefrog

Likes Bikes
Thanks guys, it’s a hardtail (probably should have mentioned that) with no bottle mounts on the seat tube.
That said, it sounds like pulling the cable out through the hole would be a bit of a PIA.
Now my dilemma is if the cable routing on the seat clamp (like on the KS Lev) will impact my ability to put the seatpost all the way down (i.e. will it foul on the clamp?).

EDIT:
Looks like its a maybe, with a thin enough seat clamp. PNW post shown.

Attachments

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
I always had the same problem with 27.2. Only 5” model was the Thomson elite. Nice post, but I’d like more drop.
That said, mine is non remote model (by choice). Easy to undo collar and raise/drop quickly if needed.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
KS external cable port cleared my last seat post clamp fine. I think it's designed that way for that reason.

Shredden

Knows his goats
What about a seat-lever version? If you're already gonna be stopping to lower it, doesn't really matter that you don't have a remote right?

badtreefrog

Likes Bikes
What about a seat-lever version? If you're already gonna be stopping to lower it, doesn't really matter that you don't have a remote right?

I have an old xfusion one (where the cable attaches under the seat) already that’s just about reached its end of life. I use it all the time on XC trails and for moderate descents, it’s only when I know I’m going down for a long time with really steep sections and no climbs that I slam the saddle to get it right out of the way.

It looks like the externally routed ones like the KS are the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Like @Shredden said, and I mentioned earlier, the seat lever might just be the best solution. I still use them on a couple of bikes other than the 27.2 in an old orange. I hate crap on my bars...it was only when I started doing more gravity enduro racing on unfamiliar tracks that I folded and started using a couple of remote droppers on bikes.