Moved from stupid Q thread. SRAM/shimano compatibility.

moorey

call me Mia
PHP:
Guess it was too stupid a Q to get a response in that thread, so here goes....

Just bought my first ever SRAM product (don't make me regret it :shakes fist:), S/H 2x10 X9 cranks (ok, they were cheap, and I had a weak ebay moment). Website says they are 9 and 10 speed compatible. Rest of the running gear I have bought for bike build is new shimano (chain, shifters, cassette, but using spare good XT rear derailleur, awaiting frame to arrive to check front derailleur needs, website doesn't specify).
1.Cranks have plastered on 'ONLY use with SRAM chain'....I generally never believe this stuff, unless i know that shifter ratios (1:1 or 1:2 are different), or derailleur is 'x' speed specific. Theres going to be no compatibility problem with shimano chain/SRAM cranks? (I can't fathom that there would be, knowing mates that have swapped between SRAM/shimano cassettes and derailleurs)
2. Front derailleur shouldn't NEED to be 2 or 3 specific in the short term as long as I set my high/low adjustors accordingly? I imagine that specific 2 speed fronts have a different 'cage' as they don't need such a wide range to accommodate 22t ring up to 44t ring? I also imagine that a 3sp might have the potential to drop the chain more on a 2sp setup, but I'll be getting a 2sp when I work out what type of derailleur I will need.

* This really seems like stupid questions for a guy who's been riding and maintaining bikes for 15 years, and thinks he knows everything bout everything....​

I've got a X7 2x10 crank, running 9spd KMC and YBN chains, old shimano deore LX everything else. No probs whatsoever. Front derailler is 9-speed deore LX run off deore 3sp shifters and the shifting is way better now than with the 3x9 crank i had before. Used to drop chains on the inside with the 3x as well. Hasn't dropped once with the X7. I never had a SRAM product either till i got this crank. Out of the saddle, full gas and the front shifts without a hiccup everytime. The front shifting seems to be easier on chains too.

Last edited:

Sammy86

Squid
No problems, I run the opposite with shimano cranks and rings with sram chain, cassette and derailleurs with no problems.

Running a 3 speed front derailleur on 2 rings isn't an issue either, I just had to change my bottom limit screw and it works fine. I haven't dropped the chain at all since I set it up properly.

moorey

call me Mia
Cheers guys. Thought so. It runs a shimano E type 3 triple front derailleur, but I'll be running 2 rings, and setting high/lows to suit. If suitable, (haven't seen the frame in person yet), ill put a new 2 speed top swing on when finances allow. i can't find any reason why it HAS to run an E type, based on pics.
I think i'll chuck the cranks on the rag buff and polish the X9 off, so i can continue to to pretend i never run SRAM ;)

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
Srammy clickness

Hey,
I just upgraded my mtb road hardtail drivetrain. I went from crummy Shimano crankset, crummy Shimano chain, deore FD, deore RD, deore 9 sp cassette and deore trigger shifters to SLX crankset, XT high mount FD, Sram XO RD, Shimano XT 9 sp cassette and Sram X0 trigger shifters. I did a little research and the interwebz said that everything is compatible except for RD and trigger because of the length of cable that is pulled. Otherwise you can swap everything all over the place. I went XT cassette because they have much lower weight than Sram for the price (about 240g not including locknut for the 11-32, and $65), XTR chain ended up being 292g for 114 links and $35 (I removed about 5 links), and the FD I needed a high mount and got it on here from a fellow burner. I went with the X0 triggers and RD because I briefly rode a mates bike that had them and they felt pretty good. Had my first decent ride last night and they were absolutely flawless. Sram just feel so good, so clicky, neat shifting. You probably didn't need to know all that.

So I'm guessing that I can put any Shimano or Sram 9 speed road cassette on without any problems as well?