Mountain bike tourism success story

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
It's great to see Australia doing what the rest of the world started doing in 1990.......................
I'm keen to get down there to ride, well worth a visit I've been told.

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
Its really great to see the area seeing the benefits - they really need it!

Its also great that we're getting more and more examples of success stories to use as ammunition against those who still only see the "perceived" negatives of mtb development (i.e. hooligans, environmental damage, change, etc.). The more examples of positive outcomes we have, the easier it will be for future development in other regions...

I can vouch for the trails there - absolutely mind blowingly awesome!

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Tathra is a another ex-sleepy hollow that is really embracing mtb.

Used to camp there years ago for the fishing and surf and the place was deserted... now it's alive and humming.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
ive been looking at the calendar for a while looking for a time to get down to launy again to hit up the local trails. not sure about riding in july/august in tassie though! I might be a bit soft!

floody

Wheel size expert
ive been looking at the calendar for a while looking for a time to get down to launy again to hit up the local trails. not sure about riding in july/august in tassie though! I might be a bit soft!

Nah...climate is pretty mild all year round really.

willsy01

Eats Squid
Having just returned from a 2.5 week trip to Tassie (no riding i'm afraid), i'll be back there in a heartbeat to hit the trails. The north east has quite a mild and dry climate......the west is where it gets a bit wild.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I raced in the 70km Marathon on Saturday and although it was tough the trails were great fun. The Dam Busters trail really needs a summer to harden it up as it got a bit boggy on a few of the climbs but the descents were awesome! I am hoping the momentum keeps up and it does show a measurable improvement to Derby and surrounding towns as this will provide the evidence that can be used for other projects. World Trail are working on another trail system near my stomping ground not far from Devonport so fingers crossed that gets the go ahead. :dance:

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yeah its amazing how long it takes to build momentum to get tracks going in Australia it seems Whistler has been going more than 20 yrs.
Possibly to do with being a nanny state [ compare w NZ ]+ litigation worries for Shire Councils + Dept of Name Changing currently DWPI or ?.
Previously the tracks were unofficial but now they are being approved !
I think it is accelerating cos of generational change in these organizations w younger mtbikers + outdoor types replacing the lazy old fossils, + the Baby boomers wanting exercise.
Anyway it has made a huge difference to business esp coffee shops , accomodation, bakeries + bike shops throughout NE Vic where I live eg Bright, Yackandandah, Mt Beauty, Beechworth, now Mt Buller + even Falls Creek one day.
Having seen places like Fruita Colorado in the middle of nowhere flourish, I think mtbiking has potential to transform anywhere with interesting terrain regardless of climate eg Melrose/ Flinders Ranges , Alice Springs, Tathra .
Its a bit build it + they will come.
Surfing has done the same to Noosa, Margaret River,Torquay, Byron Bay, parts of Indonesia, NW Australia though some may not approve of the crowds + hoopla.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nah...climate is pretty mild all year round really.
Maybe by world standards, but having lived in Launceston for 3 years I can say that summer or autumn are the best times to be there. Winter, and to some extent spring, can be pretty wet and miserable. I remember some very muddy rides.

Don't be fooled by the weather forecasts. When they say the maximum in Launie is 15 that means it will be 8 degrees minus windchill factor for most of the day, then a brief period in the afternoon when it rockets up to 15 and then plummets back to 8 a few minutes later.

Sappa

Likes Dirt
That and when they say it is going to rain it does for a week non stop.
My memories of winter in Launceston is every thing is damp. The sun is out for a day and the grass is still wet.
But then again it just trapped everything in the tamar valley.

North East is dryer. Never remember wind chill being an issue. But then again I was a child that used to swim in the creek at the bottom of the hill when it flooded as it was fun and foamy. Or fall into the damn trying to break the ice.

Hang on, yes it gets cold. I had a thermometer in my bed room one night at it was -3.
Hence why I now only visit in summer.

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
That and when they say it is going to rain it does for a week non stop.
My memories of winter in Launceston is every thing is damp. The sun is out for a day and the grass is still wet.
But then again it just trapped everything in the tamar valley.

North East is dryer. Never remember wind chill being an issue. But then again I was a child that used to swim in the creek at the bottom of the hill when it flooded as it was fun and foamy. Or fall into the damn trying to break the ice.

Hang on, yes it gets cold. I had a thermometer in my bed room one night at it was -3.
Hence why I now only visit in summer.
Emm Launceston/ Tamar valley is in the North east. Due to global warming Tassie is well now not that cold and wet.

floody

Wheel size expert
Winter is of course Winter; wouldn't bother coming down in late winter particularly as the trails quite likely will be shut. Early spring can be wet, but it's usually tolerable. Either way, on balance, the climate is pretty mild all year round, Spring, Summer, Autumn is all pretty much somewhere 15-25° with mostly only light and sporadic rains. For the last 23 days in Scottsdale (not far from Derby) the high temp recorded was 17.3° (mean max 14°), while they did get circa 20mm of rain a couple of times it's only rained on 6 of those 23 days, and winds have mostly been between calm and 17km/h. Good odds of basically perfect bike weather in my book.