Mountain Bike Safety Survey

snowy92

Likes Dirt
Finished your survey Julian.
I noticed a few of the questions are identical to ones that I'm using for my survey. I don't have a problem with you using them, but just for future reference, it's probably better to be on the safe side and ask for the author's permission.
All the best with it mate!

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Anyone else carry a compression bandage for snake bites?

Never used it for a snake bite but it has come in handy as a sling for clavicles.

Cypher

Likes Dirt
Finished your survey Julian.
I noticed a few of the questions are identical to ones that I'm using for my survey. I don't have a problem with you using them, but just for future reference, it's probably better to be on the safe side and ask for the author's permission.
All the best with it mate!
And you have both asked similar questions to what I did - 2 years ago. What of it? There is no copyright on questions. It shows an inability to do background research to ensure your research is unique and builds on other's work - rather than duplicating existing work. This is forgivable in a high school student, however your game needs to step up when you are at uni.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
done

Hi Julian,

Welcome to the world of research :) I hope you have fun. The first job in any research project is to come up with a good question: your job is done.

The second part is to see if anyone else has done the work before: yes, but not comprehensively. You may want to check out these threads...

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?218921-Help-the-MTB-Community-ride-more

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?223692-Rider-survey-3-month-results

I published a paper on mountain bike injuries on the Cycling Research International journal (Leslie, J (2011) Rates of injuries from mountain biking: a longitudinal study of all mountain bike disciplines) - I will see if the publisher will allow me to send you the paper. It is pretty basic (because I am weak at statistics) so you shouldn't have trouble understanding it....
Unless you assigned your copyright over to the publisher under a contract the copyright remains with you as the author, or unless you were an employee of the publisher at the time, in which case the publisher owns the copyright. If you still hold the copyright you are free to distribute it. In any case under the fair dealing exceptions, one of which is for the purpose of study or research, it can be copied.

And you have both asked similar questions to what I did - 2 years ago. What of it? There is no copyright on questions. ...
That is far too broad a statement to make! Though in this instance and these limited circumstances, as I said, under the fair dealing exceptions of the Copyright Act copying would not constitute a breach. Let's say a question was used to great literary effect in a work such that it was of critical importance to the work, a court could well say copyright had been breached if such a question had been copied without permission.

Plagiarism is another matter.

snowy92

Likes Dirt
And you have both asked similar questions to what I did - 2 years ago. What of it? There is no copyright on questions. It shows an inability to do background research to ensure your research is unique and builds on other's work - rather than duplicating existing work. This is forgivable in a high school student, however your game needs to step up when you are at uni.
So you're suggesting that before I started reading through the 3 inch-thick wad of peer-assessed research papers currently residing beside my computer (ranging from injury reports to environmental degradation analysis, psychological studies and motivations for mountain biking in Norway - just to be thorough) none of which mention questions even remotely similar to mine, I should have trawled through years-old threads on Rotorburn (or Farkin, as it was back then) to check if a user might have already posted a similar survey? It might be just my opinion, but usually academic sources take precedence over forums.

wombat

Lives in a hole
So you're suggesting that before I started reading through the 3 inch-thick wad of peer-assessed research papers currently residing beside my computer (ranging from injury reports to environmental degradation analysis, psychological studies and motivations for mountain biking in Norway - just to be thorough) none of which mention questions even remotely similar to mine, I should have trawled through years-old threads on Rotorburn (or Farkin, as it was back then) to check if a user might have already posted a similar survey? It might be just my opinion, but usually academic sources take precedence over forums.
I think the point was more that it's probably a bit rough to suggest that someone else should have asked your permission for using questions like yours, when you yourself were doing roughly the same thing.
Pot, kettle, that kinda thing.

snowy92

Likes Dirt
I think the point was more that it's probably a bit rough to suggest that someone else should have asked your permission for using questions like yours, when you yourself were doing roughly the same thing.
Pot, kettle, that kinda thing.
Though it wasn't just they were like mine, they're word for word copy-pasted, I do agree, and I'm now regretting ever piping up in the first place.
I just took a little offence to the inference that I don't know how to research correctly and that I just duplicated the questions of existing studies.

rone

Eats Squid
Though it wasn't just they were like mine, they're word for word copy-pasted, I do agree, and I'm now regretting ever piping up in the first place.
I just took a little offence to the inference that I don't know how to research correctly and that I just duplicated the questions of existing studies.
I'm trying to give a shit. I really am.