Most overated bike products

Jervis

Likes Dirt
and maxle (here comes the abuse)
ABUSE! ABUSE! ABUSE! ABUSE! ABUSE! ABUSE! ABUSE! ABUSE!

I love the Maxle! I've ran Pike 409, Argyle 302, Pargyle 426/302 and now Argyle 318s. All with maxle, best invention ever. Particulary for a DJ rider like me where trails are far apart and only way to get there (without riding for ages) is in a car. Car too small? Just take front wheel off! Only takes a second cause of the maxle.

However, rear wheel maxles? Seems like a good idea but is it really necessary? They are only on DH bikes that normally get transported on bike racks or in back of utes etc. There is no great need to quickly take the rear wheel off DH bikes IMO.

Iron Horse bikes...... now there's an over rated product.

Dons flame suit, sits and waits for Sam Hill fan bois to jump on spanky's neck.
Who's Sam Hill?

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
why is that... i never knew...

also 15mm axels:confused:

and maxle (here comes the abuse)
DOT fluids are hygroscopic meaning they absorb water. When they absorb water their high boiling point reduces. Hence they require regular replacement of fluids to maintain their high performance. Plus DOT fluids are highly corrsive and strip paint of your parts

Mineral Oil isnt hygroscopic hence it will never absorb water from the system meaning its perfomance remains consistent throughout its life therefore not requiring as regular bleeding when compared to DOT. It also has a high enough boiling point for bicycle brake applications.

Toxicity

one of those boys your mother warned you about
RevellBikes...dont believe spec and bike in general is worth it, much better value out there..

i say this as there is a RevellBikes Shifter 26 in my room...feels heavy and slugish

framd0

Likes Dirt
the kona shonky
you have to pay about $1400 for a bike with rigids and v brakes. the spec isnt even that good

my_bike

Likes Dirt
Kona for sure. They are way over priced and they come with crappy parts. They have Kona bars on the Cowan and the Shonky, that is just a rip off.

Gamut is over priced just for a bit of plastic and metal. But they look soo good.

Cedel

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Kona for sure. They are way over priced and they come with crappy parts. They have Kona bars on the Cowan and the Shonky, that is just a rip off.

Gamut is over priced just for a bit of plastic and metal. But they look soo good.
This kid owns both a Kona and a Gamut guide! <3

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Iron Horse bikes...... now there's an over rated product.
I concur. Its funny what good marketing can do for a brand! Sam would have won on ANY world cup race bike but the marketing dept tells you that its all thanks to a system that looks remarkably like every other "virtual maestro" system.

Staying with Sam Hill, MONSTER ENERGY DRINK. It isnt sold here in aus yet i've noticed local kids with monster stickers on their bikes (thanks sam) and it tastes like arse. Not only that but after the brief 5 minute sugar buzz, you end up with a good half hour or more of feeling like you've been using a coal truck as a bucket bong. This was evidenced by the general ill-feeling in the lift line after lunch at crankworks each day where they were handing out truck loads of the excrement.

I'm going to add Chris King headsets* to the list with a * that indicates the fine print "check back with me in 5 years. If my cane creek designed Crank Bros is still going strong then Chris King is overpriced for equivalent quality. If not then the King remains just that.

downhiller_1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Care to share?

Would love to hear why.
when i rode a mates... set up for him (pretty much them same weight) i found them to be too soft and have to much rebound to them... found the to be flexy and weak, like some of the bad stories on here... then i got on some gold labels and so much better... stiff, strong and so much smoother

im not really a fan after the pikes were stopped being made...

downhiller_1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Curious, why the Ironhorse overrated sentiment?
my thoery is: every rode them because Sam Hill did... now i havent see one for a awhile... people will say they werent good bikes to start with... Sam pretty much sold them to every wanna be kid out there

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
my thoery is: every rode them because Sam Hill did... now i havent see one for a awhile... people will say they werent good bikes to start with... Sam pretty much sold them to every wanna be kid out there
+1...

if Iron horse bikes WERE so good, why werent the top 10 positions all Iron Horse Bikes? Maybe its the 90% Rider, 10% bike.....

s

Kezza dawG

Likes Dirt
i personally like the tinponys.
you seem to stand on them and let the bike do the work which is good for a lazy f@#k like me.

glory = cheap shit equivelent to a cell bike. i cracked mine after a season.
first 08 model in australia. found crack when i was at the tassie national round.

the bike shop thing... anyone who knows me knows exactly which shop im talking about......grrrrrrrr.:mad:

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
RevellBikes...dont believe spec and bike in general is worth it, much better value out there..

i say this as there is a RevellBikes Shifter 26 in my room...feels heavy and slugish
interesting: I found them to be quiet responsive and a great all round bike, would consider getting myself, loved the 24" shifter for Street style playing about.

S.

ex offender
Maxxis have comparatively weaker sidewalls and beads.
The also cost $120 rrp or something like that for dual compound

Kenda: Pick a tread design, and then pick between dual/single compound, dual/single ply and then size. Contrary to popular belief, Kenda DH tyres arent crap.

Intense: Dont need to say much...I find the have way more agressive tread patterns, which roll faster and bite down harder when braking.

Michelin: Compound goes somewhere between the maxxis 42a and the 60a, but has way stronger sidewalls, and all tyres are tubeless ready.
Kenda: pick everything you want and you'll still have a tyre that goes flat every 5 minutes, because their sidewalls are made of paper. I've tried these numerous times and they just don't grip that well.

Intense: haven't tried these for a couple of years, but the ones I did try were heavy as all hell (esp the 4-ply ones!) and not actually that grippy. Things might have changed but they're still twice the price of Maxxis, and nobody carries them.

Michelin: again, flat easily, the sidewalls are way too thin. The grip is not bad though, I quite like the compound, but you don't get any choice in compounds. They're also expensive and I don't know anyone near me who stocks them.

If you think Maxxis suffer from a weak sidewall, I think you're either using their single ply casings or smoking something you shouldn't be. There might well be better tyres out there than Minion DHFs but if there are, they're not being sold for even close to the same price (Maxxis RRP $60 or so in most shops for the DH tyres, Michies are about $90+ and the Intenses last time I checked were well over $100!), and so from my point of view, who cares?

The best thing about most of Maxxis' range is that there is no fatal flaw like most tyres have... they may not be perfect but there is no one thing that makes you go "well bugger this, I'm getting something else", price included. They're hard to flat, they're grippy and predictable, there's a range of compounds, tread patterns and sizes, everyone has them and they're CHEAP. The only thing I'd particularly like to improve is to make them last longer... but I could just buy the 60a instead of the 40a if it actually mattered to me.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Oversize bars.
DH single crown forks.
Aluminum DH frames.
These all have a purpose, I just think they're over rated.