More epic all mountain races?

Jona

Squid
I would like to start by saying that in no way do I intend to affend any of the Australian all mountain race industry. You guys and girls do an excellent job :)

But I was wondering if there are any all mountain races in Australia that are A tad more "epic"? I.e have stages/multiple days? Or a track that you would not do on a dh bike or a hard tail 29er? Haha much like the trans Provence and other European enduro racing??

Also if you think this sort of race wouldn't or would work in aus for any reason please let me know? I.e flat landscape or too small population in this sport..

Any info or conversation would be very interesting and appreciated.
Cheers

haltz

Likes Dirt
not a fan of all mountain in any way but can probably answer that with we ive in australia and are lacking epic hills haha

Jona

Squid
I do agree with you to an extent. But Tasmania has some decent enough areas? Even south nsw and Vic..

dl79

Likes Dirt
I think it will happen as the events gain popularity and big race promoters come on board to run events that are more "epic". Looking forward to seeing how this style of racing develops in Aus.

dl79

Likes Dirt
not a fan of all mountain in any way but can probably answer that with we ive in australia and are lacking epic hills haha
So you don't like riding down or up?? Plenty of big hills around for that style of race but gaining access would be the hardest part for race organisers.

Yarrahappinni

Likes Dirt
Jona, no not all is lost, there are (not Swiss Alp stuff) fair rides all over, here is my epic trail on the Mid North Coast of NSW, beach one side, Pacific HIghway the other. With a little bit of exploring I nutted out this course which is mostly old & new fire roads but still 1000m up equals a 1000m down and pushes my Reign (and its rider) to its limits, but the best part I haven't explored all the tracks yet. Where there's a tower there's a track.

http://connect.garmin.com/course/2192757

horsey

Likes Dirt
the problem with aussie attempt at Enduro racing is that they have copied the american 'lycra' enduro racing format. if you are able to ride the course on an XC bike, then it isn't Enduro!

If the pro/serious guys show up on XC bikes because thats the fastest option then it defeats the point of the racing format.

The size of the mountains is not an issue in Australia. You don't need a massive mountain to make a technically and physically demanding 4-5 minute stage.