More bang for your buck

Stacksy

Squid
At the risk of this sounding like a really stupid question I'll ask anyway. I'm fairly new to MTB and enjoying it far more than I thought I would. I'm finding my bike too heavy but rather than upgrading parts, would rather put the money towards a new bike next year. So my question is what brand gives you more bang for your buck? I have a Specialized and know the brand so my next bike would most probably be a Stumjumper if I stick with Specialized. But that's got me wondering if I had about $5k to spend - I like the look of the Santa Cruz Bronson carbon (the one Danny Macaskill rides in his new video), the Giant Trance and the Trek Remedy but open to other suggestions also. I haven't test ridden any yet, just doing preliminary homework first. Will be used mainly for trail riding with the odd xc race thrown in here and there.

Edit- sorry I think I put in wrong section

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
As value is subjective, how are you defining it? The 4 bikes you specify are all quite different...the trance will probably have the best parts mix for its price point, but if you want a premium carbon number the Bronson is in a league of its own. Many variables to consider...do you value the group set or the suspension more? Or the wheels...

Personally I find giant bikes winning most of their price points on their parts mix. I recently purchased a giant glory because no other bike came close to the quality of parts it had for the price. I then sold most of the parts and customized it. I now have a fairly nice free ride bike that didn't cost much at all.

So let us know what you place most value on with a bike and it will be easier to help out. Or sell a kidney and buy the Santa Cruz. They are awesome bikes.

Stacksy

Squid
For me probably suspension and wheels as they are what make my current ride so heavy but after an overall package that wouldn't require customising to get a good bike.
Thanks for the comments re the Giant's they're the sort of comments I'm after as I wouldn't know that sort of stuff re parts/price

Last edited:

wavike

Likes Dirt
There's some good 120mm travel bikes around too, don't discount them, 650B and 29er. 140+ travel are great if you're riding rough technical steeper trail, but if it's more mundane and wanting to XC or longer enduro races them might be a bit of overkill. Check out the Rocky mountain / Trek / norco 120mm offerings too. Santa cruz 5010 is sweet also for bling.

T-Rex

Template denier
It's not a stupid question at all, it's actually quite tricky.

At that price point, the Trance does look a bit better spec'ed than the Remedy as the Poodle says, albeit with Avids. Having said that, I have not tried that particular model, and being 4 piston they should have more stopping power than the Shimanos on the Remedy, but the Remedy is $300 less.

But.... the FSR suspension on the Stumpy is the best pedalling rear suspension system out there, in my humble experience. It could even go some way towards making up for the weight penalty of a trail bike when you turn up to a XC race.

driftking

Wheel size expert
You mention weight but want bang for buck. I guess it comes down to what weight you find acceptable. As mentioned earlier you need to define what you want. Are you more concerned about weight and less about top end suspension, or do you want top suspension and take that with some heavier parts. Personally I like to choose a bike by the frame first and foremost, its the main thing you are buying and its the core of the ride.

You will be happier on a good frame with average parts and an average frame with good parts.

There is always the option of buying a frame and building it up with second hand or on sale items. It might be hard though and time consuming to get what you want. But it might be worth having a look around, given new bikes have just hit and Christmas is coming second hand kit should be hitting the forums.

For your cash focus on the major factors frame, suspension, brakes and wheels.

Group sets and all that are factors but much less so, they also get replaced more often due to wear and tear so you can always upgrade them at that point in time.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Fun times

You're in for some fun times - definitely need to ride a few to see how they feel. It's all well and good getting the best deal on paper but if it doesn't feel right then there is not point.

The stumpy is a solid bike but try the camber as well. It is probably more suited to what riding you describe.

Consider waiting a couple of months as all 2014 bikes will be in run out with good deals as the new 2015 bikes come in.

Giant are always good value but also consider things like Avanti and polygon

GazzaPops

Likes Bikes
Bike Exchange

Get on to Bike exchange and see what deals are going. I've seen some great prices on some Avanti's and Scott's.

Puddleduck

Likes Dirt
Check out some of the Banshee frames. There is two distributors in AUS. Good value and you'll have a bike brand thats unique.

Stacksy

Squid
Thanks for all the great replies, giving me plenty to think about. I'll mainly be riding the trails in Wooroi (Tewantin) and hope to try out the new MTB park in Tassie eventually

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
If you're looking for best value spec wise take a look at Polygon, Canyon, YT and to some degree Giant. That way you'll get the best components for your dollar in a complete.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Bang for buck components wise, Focus also seem alright.
If you like Specializeds suspension, their strangle hold on the Horst Link design is now over as the patent is up, so there's many bikes using it to now choose from. Not that they'll all ride the same.
Seems most new "Enduro" bikes have Horst Links now.