Monaro Cloudride 1000

It's been a while in the planning folks but here it is... and yes I know it is a date clash with the Nat 24Hr Solo Champs [no course or venue announced] but you could always do both...:thumb:

http://www.cloudride1000.com/

The Monaro Cloudride 1000 is a mountain bike endurance ride that traverses the ridgetops of the Great Dividing Range through the Monaro region of south east Australia. Constantly challenging the skills of the rider with the demands of speed, climbing, descending, endurance and bike handling skills – add the demands of navigation, limited resupply along the route, long hours in the saddle and you introduce the companions of the long distance rider, mental fatigue, loneliness and the mirror of self.
With 24,000 metres of vertical climbing over 1000 kilometres across the rooftop of Australia, riders will experience breathtaking wilderness areas of our national parks,*vistas that go forever and the*solitude and beauty of our high country plains. The Monaro Cloudride 1000 will demand extraordinary determination and also an acceptance that the elements can and will sometimes prevail and reshape your journey. Those who finish can cherish and remember their time on the Monaro Cloudride 1000 as a lifetime achievement.
*The route for this event has been chosen to provide a demanding mix of mountain biking skills with a constant overlay of endurance and speed intensity. Slow grinding rubble strewn sections are constantly interchanged with fast flowing forest roads and open hard packed shire roads where, if favourable conditions prevail, high end average speeds can recover time lost on the more difficult sections. Challenge yourself ...

dottyman

Likes Dirt
Awesome event

It's about time Australia had such an event. I loved reading the website and was super keen to have a go until I checked my (inflexible) work calendar. I reckon it would take me much longer than a week to do. Sounds like a torturefest but also an amazing life challenge. What's the xpected eta for the winner?
I have always thought such an event from Canberra to sydney or Newcastle through the southern highlands, then yerranderrie and Wollemi NP would be totally awesome too.
Hope it goes well for organisers, competitors and best of luck with the weather gods!

Thanks Dottyman. You're right, plenty of nice country out there.

So far a very positive response with some interesting entries. A few past Tour Divide riders and a few who have entered TDR for 2014.

Five days or a bit less seems to be the best guess from those who have put their hand up so far. I figured if you went very light, had the legs and used commercial accommodation .... MAYBE Nimmitabell [240k] Jindabyne [300k] Tumut [220k] Canberra [170k] could get you home in three and a bit days. Water shouldn’t be too much of a problem but getting a feed could be tricky with limited options and reduced trading hours over Easter.

Plenty of Bikepacking stuff here for those looking for tips and gear ideas…. Martin, the guy pulling the Webzine together is a very passionate bikepacker and keen to expand his readership…

http://trails-tours.com

cloudrider - is your website down today?
All seems well now ... I'm unaware of any problems yesterday.

The Kiwi Great Southern Brevet should find a winner tomorrow. Matty Graham from Dunedin put a gap on them all on the first day and hasn't looked back since.

A few Aussie 24Hr racers over there enjoying the scenery ... Jason McAvoy and David Rae [both top 10 finishers @ WEMBO] are up with the chase group but doing fairly civilised hours.

http://trackleaders.com/gsb14

Some nice pic's on the blogspot

http://greatsouthernbrevet.blogspot.com.au

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
The Kiwi Great Southern Brevet + Tour Divide - I see your 2014 and 2015 race calendar getting fuller by the day :)

Cloudride Start List

Rider List and extended profiles up on our website

www.cloudride1000.com

Starts 8:00am Easter Saturday

The Cyclery
5 Lonsdale St
BRADDON

All welcome!

Arran Pearson has been a late scratching ...

Ross Hamilton M 26 Melbourne Bike: GT Zaskar 29r HT
Alistar Cowan M 27 Melbourne Bike: Niner MCR 29er HT
Ollie Whalley [NZ] M 28 Sydney Bike: Lynskey Ridgeline SL 29er Rohlff Rigid
Jackie Bernadi F 34 Melbourne Bike: Specalised Epic 26 Dual
Nathan Mawkes [NZ] M 37 Auckland Bike: Santa Cruz Highball Carbon 29er Rigid
Matt de Belin M 40 Sydney Bike: Niner S•I•R 9 29er Steel Rigid
Scott Robinson M 43 Wilberforce Bike: Giant XTC 29er HT
Nijat Imin M 44 Canberra Bike: GT Zaskar 26 HT
Neil Cowan M 56 Melbourne Bike: Salsa Fargo 2 29er Rigid
Steve Watson M 60+ Canberra Bike: Kona King Kahuna Carbon 29er HT

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I'm going to try to make it to the start to see the guys off tomorrow.

Unfortunately I have a race in NZ next week....... hopefully you run it again next year as I am keen!

FatGuts

Likes Dirt
Well, Ollie seems to have landed back into Lonsdale St, 5 days, 1000km and 25000m of climbing........man, what an effort!

wokka

Squid
What a ride!!

That looks fantastic! Only just found this page. A few years ago we did some riding in the area, we were advised Mt Tingiringa would be a nightmare, so we took the "flat" way around. How was it? Was the crossing back onto Barry Way OK? Any photo's , blogs etc. I can understand the riders need a bit of recovery after that epic. Just interested in how it all went.