Mitch Delfs, Kyle Strait and Will Rischbieth on Pivot for 2010

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
Those frames looks pretty generic and plain/boring in my opinion. Never the less, I'm sure Mitch and Will are going to excel even further, Kyles Strait will not be as strong as those two I think.

fleshbone

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Morewood was not good enough?Any Morewood team this year? Like to see Style Trait hitting some slopestyle and rampage on it.

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
Those frames looks pretty generic and plain/boring in my opinion. Never the less, I'm sure Mitch and Will are going to excel even further, Kyles Strait will not be as strong as those two I think.
Kyle Strait is a regular top 20 rider. He placed 15th at the World Champs. If anything its the exact opposite of what you suggest.

MacNamara22

Likes Dirt
thats is a sick line up of riders, good to see they have a solid backing for 2010. but i do think that it will be a step down for delfs (bike wise) morewoods are a pretty amazing bike. but i hope they smash it this year!!!

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hmmm I'm really not really convinced that these bikes will fulfill expectations. The bike they are running at the moment is a 6.5" trail/all-mountain bike with a 67.2degree headangle, an unbelievably skinny rear triangle and many other geometry wise spec that seems a bit odd for a bike which is going to be riden down world cup downhill courses. Also after reading a few reviews it seems that every second review I read on them someone says the bottom link breaks.

Pivot Cycles say they have "big plans for the team with the development of their new downhill bike." Note the "big plans", that says to me it's still in the drawing board stages and they will be riding the "Firebird" for this season. Have fun on that at tracks like Champery (well not anymore but you get the idea).

Also picked up a few things in the parts on the bike. First off all they said the parts were "demanded for by name". Who on earth chooses Truvativ? Also noticed that E Thirteen have given them the older style chainguide...Hmmmm. Rest of the spec looks nice though.

Sorry for being negative and I really do hope that they have the new downhill frame ready for the worldcups and I'm sure no matter what bike their running they will still get solid results but if someone was to give me Mitch Delfs last season Morewood or the Firebird I know what I'd be choosing.

Go ahead I've got my flame suit on.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wonder how long it will take for the DH bike to appear ?

It wouldnt be beneficial for Pivot to take a 'toothpick to a gunfight" !

Quote from Chris Cocalis

World Cup Downhill Racing is a great place to showcase the innovative dw-link technology and Pivot’s design and manufacturing expertise. The team will truly have a technological advantage with a very light bike that soaks up massive hits, is fully active and pedals like nothing else on the World Cup circuit”

That comment makes it sound like they will use the firebird ? Assuming "technical advantage......light bikes" means less travel !!!
For a newish bike manufacturer, they have gained a good rep for their shorter travel enduro style bikes, lets hope that follows them into the world of DH.. :confused:

Hmmm I'm really not really convinced that these bikes will fulfill expectations. The bike they are running at the moment is a 6.5" trail/all-mountain bike with a 67.2degree headangle, an unbelievably skinny rear triangle and many other geometry wise spec that seems a bit odd for a bike which is going to be riden down world cup downhill courses. Also after reading a few reviews it seems that every second review I read on them someone says the bottom link breaks.

Pivot Cycles say they have "big plans for the team with the development of their new downhill bike." Note the "big plans", that says to me it's still in the drawing board stages and they will be riding the "Firebird" for this season. Have fun on that at tracks like Champery (well not anymore but you get the idea).

Also picked up a few things in the parts on the bike. First off all they said the parts were "demanded for by name". Who on earth chooses Truvativ? Also noticed that E Thirteen have given them the older style chainguide...Hmmmm. Rest of the spec looks nice though.

Sorry for being negative and I really do hope that they have the new downhill frame ready for the worldcups and I'm sure no matter what bike their running they will still get solid results but if someone was to give me Mitch Delfs last season Morewood or the Firebird I know what I'd be choosing.

Go ahead I've got my flame suit on.
I think you guys should all chill out a bit, there is some big race on this weekend in the US called the Desert Beaver classic or something similar and the DH course there is pretty flat, that bike of Strait's might just be for that hey...

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt

The Firebird has a stiff enough rear triangle and easily fits a 2.4" Rubber Queen. I agree the head angle is too steep, but it should get a bit slacker with big forks on it. Probably not enough hough. The top rocker link issue has apparently been resolved and there is now a beefier carbon rocker as well as an aluminium rocker. I haven't heard of any problems with the bottom link. It would be nice if they upgraded owners of the old rocker to the new carbon rocker (which i think is cheaper than the aluminium rocker) but they aren't.

Being the riders that they are they'll probably do well enough on the Firebird until they get a real DH bike.

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I see what your saying and I noticed that you own a Pivot Firebird aswell. Don't get me wrong, they are a great bike for what they are...an All Mountain do it all bike. Even on the Pivot website they describe it as an all mountain bike.

I also never said that they would not succeed on their new bikes but they would not be ideal for the world cup tracks. Amiel Cavalier won an Australian National round last year on a similar style bike and last year at the World Champs a lot of people were running those style of bikes and they seemed to go alright aswell. Admitted though the tracks the bikes were raced on were fairly flat and pedally wand this years worldcup tracks are just about the opposite to it.

I'm sure Pivot will produce a nice Downhill bike soon enough.

Dante666

Likes Dirt
It's discussed in the comments that it's Kyle's bike for Sea Otter and they will have a proper dh bike before the season starts