Minion DHR 2s: Front & Rear??

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey folks!

Anyone running these front and rear?
Just got one to try as a front, and if it fails i was always going to use it on the rear anyway.
The tread design looks pretty good for either end really.

I know the logical choice would be a DHF for the front, but they are nearly 2x the cost of DHR 2s in 650b at the moment.

Looking for a solid AM tyre for the Trance SX to take to Canada in August.

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey folks!

Anyone running these front and rear?
Just got one to try as a front, and if it fails i was always going to use it on the rear anyway.
The tread design looks pretty good for either end really.

I know the logical choice would be a DHF for the front, but they are nearly 2x the cost of DHR 2s in 650b at the moment.

Looking for a solid AM tyre for the Trance SX to take to Canada in August.
What width?
I was running 2.5 DHR's F&R on my AM bike. I found them too heavy and the rolling resistance was not fantastic.
I switched to a 2.35 High roller for the front and a 2.4 DHR II for the rear. I found this combo had better rolling resistance and a lil lighter.

Last edited:

Hools

Likes Dirt
What about High Rollers? They start at $36 at Pushys. Im running one on the front of my Burner and love it.

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So i have a 2.3 Minion DHR 2 that im going to initially try on the front, and if it sucks ill swith to the rear.
This is primarily going to be used for Squamish, Pemberton steep gnarly AM, so weight isnt as much of a concern.
I may even give her a run on some of the tamer trails in whistler haha.

I have never really liked high rollers, and didnt think the new one looked that great. Also seems a lot heavier than the minion.

HR2s good?

Hools

Likes Dirt
I've never used minions, but went from a 2.4 Ardent to a 2.3 HRii 3C EXO TR on the front and its plenty of tyre for me. Rolls well, I dont notice the weight and theres much more grip than the Ardent in corners. Still running an Ardent on the back, until it wears out anyway.

Nerdbox

Likes Dirt
I've got three of these in 2.3 exo tr 3c on their way and from what I've read it's an awesome aggressive combo.

Will post my thoughts here once I get some time on them

BKMad

Likes Dirt
I've put a Minion DHF II on the front recently and based on the two rides I've had on it I like it a lot. I was coming from a nobby nic and it has so much more grip it isn't funny. Much more stable and predictable too.

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've put a Minion DHF II on the front recently and based on the two rides I've had on it I like it a lot. I was coming from a nobby nic and it has so much more grip it isn't funny. Much more stable and predictable too.
Sorry DHR 2 or DHF?

Im going to mount it up this weekend on the front and see what its like. Will post up my findings!

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ah good to hear!!
Keen to try. Its a weapon of a tyre sititng on my desk at work.
Might be slight overkill for my usual trail riding hhahahah

VEX33D

Likes Dirt
I've been running a DHR II in 650b 2.3 width for months now on the front of my Remedy.

Great tyre that was a massive step up in outright grip then the Bontrager XR3 that was fitted standard. Both setup tubelessly.

I've been happy with both it's cornering and braking grip, often riding loose over hard surfaces across the local DH trails, XC loop and AM trails with only a slight 100 odd grams weight penalty over the XR3's, next to no difference in rolling resistance but bags more grip.

Would buy again!

John Muldoon

Likes Bikes
I had the DHF II on the front and the DHR II on the rear and found it was like I was dragging an anchor, especially uphill. This was on my AM bike. I've since changed the rear to a 2.4 Larson (keeping the DHF II on the front) and it's so much faster rolling but super grippy on the front. Previous setup was with Nobby Nics front and rear, which had me eating dirt many times in corners.

Having said that I have the DHF II/DHR II combo on my downhill bike and it's perfect.

Big Tim

Likes Dirt
Yes the resistance is high. But they stick to everything at this time of the year in Melbourne. Yarra trails are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk