NSW Mill Creek Conservation Park (Menai) - MTB Trail building Thread

my02

Likes Dirt
What's the plan this month ?
Methane Alley Pt 1 needs re-working. Some rollers need to be smoothed or removed.

Pt 2 could also benefit from a catch berm in the first right hander. Here's also a tree that comes up quickly near the double.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
We will be working on the stray bullets side. Dan has scoped out some changes.

There is enough work for 2 build days ... So call your crews we need diggers

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
Hey willsy good to see you'll be back on board. ...
Do you know if Mark is in the country ?
Al, we still need to sort out the start of three eye fish (the new section cut in 2build days ago)
as the last bit doesn't work (to many corners)so I'll be at my Annoying best to get something
happening :argue:... You may want to give Dan the heads up. .:phone:....:heh:

markb84

Likes Dirt
I'm in the country finally and I'll be at the build on Sunday
Looking forward to it, been way too long.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Saturday ...

Grant have a chat with him ... When we walk past the place ... Show him what you want to do and do it. I'm happy to ride it a few times to find best / flowiest line.

If we can hook into 3 eyed fish without pedalling I'm in :llama:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Next build this Saturday 12th Sep
7.45am at the gate as usual

plan is for a kids day and BBQ. Dan is scoping out some bits on the other side of the creek, we will be doing some rehab of trails near the new section we built last month.

There will be a photog for a couple of pics, so wear your trail building bests.

dane83

Squid
Signage

Just a thought on raising awareness re. build days - would it be possible to have a sign on the fence at the trail head or even fixed to the bottom of the council sign saying something along the lines of "Regular trail building days held every month, go to [Rotorburn] [Facebook] for info on the next build day or email [email address] to sign up for trail building notifications"

If the sign was lower down, you could have a QR code with the links, but this would be more prone to vandalism as seen with the ones in RNP.

I figure that if it's only on facebook or this thread, we're hitting the same audience over and over & not really catching many new people. At least if there's a sign at the trail head, the idea of turning up to a build day gets to everyone who rides the trail.

Not everyone who rides the trail is going to go looking for the trail building thread on RB or look up the facebook page, so we could be missing a lot of potential trail builders.

shore_2

Likes Dirt
Awesome work again guys. Some real progress getting made last few build days.
Is anything ever going to get done re parking? It's really impractical to try and cross that road during peak hour. Or when you have kids with you.

The Menai trails are awesome but I've never been able to (or anyone I know of) been able to link the two loops together without having to walk up the two way section where the big rock roll down is. I know along the creek run, towards the start you can branch out to the right and link back up with the upper loop. I know the two way section can't really be improved, but what about making another way up from the bottom to top loop?

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
image.jpg

image.jpg

Next build day is slated for the 10th Oct 2015 ... Same time ... Same place.

We have a virgin bit of quality descending trail to build and make that climb out of the creek well worth the pedals.

Lots of rock to shift even before we start benching in and armouring up the key features.

This is a big bit of trail likely to span several build days, so we need both experienced and also enthusiastic volleys to work with our regular crew and get a good start on this puppy.

putting the call out early so hopefully we get a good turn out.

Any questions hit up the Facebook page.

P.s message to Jared ... Pm me please

Last edited:

dane83

Squid
WOOT!! More new trail!

The Menai trails are awesome but I've never been able to (or anyone I know of) been able to link the two loops together without having to walk up the two way section where the big rock roll down is. I know along the creek run, towards the start you can branch out to the right and link back up with the upper loop. I know the two way section can't really be improved, but what about making another way up from the bottom to top loop?
However, I agree with this^^^ We need to sort this out at some stage as it's the only bit that really kills the loop as a whole.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
That two way bit will be closed and rehab'd at some point soonish ... we are just trying to find the best way back up

willsy01

Eats Squid
Diggin' Day this Saturday the 10th peeps. Just to follow up what Al has mentioned above, we have a biiiig section of shiny new trail flagged out (Thx to Dan) and we need many many hands to start getting it cut in.....so if you regularly indulge in a lap out there, come and have a dig! Makes the riding experience that much more rewarding when you're rolling over your own work.

More info on Shareworld.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Menai-MTB-Park/304943189532262?sk=wall