MET Parachute?

749dark

Likes Dirt
Hi all,
Just wondering where I can buy the MET Parachute helmet online or in person?
Would anyone be able to help.
Thanks

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pretty sure it's unavailable in OZ. It's not listed in the online catalogue for the importer.

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Neither does the Giro Xen (not a full facer, though).
Point is, the Aussie test includes a penetration test, which both helmets fail due to vent placement, although both these helmets will no doubt offer impact resistance. They pass the Euro/US tests, and are made the same way as their other helmets (which pass the tests).
Either way, you have a serious accident in one and you'll have trouble with everyone afterwards if you're found not to have been wearing an AS certified lid, even if it passes every other international test...

Trevor_S

Likes Dirt
Either way, you have a serious accident in one and you'll have trouble with everyone afterwards if you're found not to have been wearing an AS certified lid, even if it passes every other international test...
1. Who is this "everyone"
2. What sort of serious trouble ? Only thing I can see is possible fine for not wearing an approved helmet.

or do you mean at a race event ?
If so, what happens if an international competitor comes over and races an event with the same helmet, as it is approved in their home country ? Do they also get in trouble from "everyone" if they crash ? What if they don't crash, is there trouble then ?

Seems to me the non approved helmet malarkey is mostly hyperbole from local importers and/or retailers trying to dissuade locals from importing for private use.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm sure we debated this subject ad nauseum a couple of months ago.

Bottom line, road rules state that you need to be wearing an Australian Standards approved helmet when riding on the road. Not "Australian Standards and helmets bought from other countries that look like Australian Standards approved helmets but actually aren't".

So, if you're riding on the road, you need to wear an AS approved helmet. Riding in an event that takes in public roads, you need to wear an AS approved helmet.

I'm not even getting into MTBA etc rules at the moment, this is Road Rules 101, people.

Now, luckily I haven't had an incident where I've been hit by a car and had to claim against their insurance (yet). However I have had multiple dealings with insurance companies (professionally), and I am comfortable enough to say that they will try their absolute hardest to weasel out of a claim if there is any possible way of them doing it.

So, if you had an accident that resulted in injury with a motor vehicle, and attempted to claim against their compulsary 3rd party insurance, and you weren't wearing an AS approved helmet, I am of the opinion that a substantial proportion of your claim, if not the whole claim, would be wiped out.

Like it or lump it, these are the rules, not loose guidelines, and they are there to be followed.

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
AFAIK, you don't need an approved helmet for racing (I could be wrong). But if you had a head injury while wearing one and got hit by a car on the road your/their insurance "probably" won't pay up if you don't have an approved helmet.

We all know that they will look for any excuse not to pay.

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If so, what happens if an international competitor comes over and races an event with the same helmet, as it is approved in their home country ? Do they also get in trouble from "everyone" if they crash ? What if they don't crash, is there trouble then ?
Which discipline? Events held on open roads in Australia (eg many cross country events and most marathon and road events) need to comply with the road rules, which means Aus certified helmets. MTBA accepts a few equivalent international standards, but only for races which don't use any public road - and that includes most fire trails. You'd probably be OK in DH.

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
1. Who is this "everyone"
2. What sort of serious trouble ? Only thing I can see is possible fine for not wearing an approved helmet.

or do you mean at a race event ?

Seems to me the non approved helmet malarkey is mostly hyperbole from local importers and/or retailers trying to dissuade locals from importing for private use.
I'm pretty sure this has now been answered above.
Sure, God himself isn't going to point a finger and go 'tut tut', but it should be pretty clear that insurance (both medical and financial) have due reason to give you grief if you suffer injuries and it's established your helmet doesn't carry the AS certification/compliance sticker inside.
So it's not hyperbole at all, it's a legal thing for good reason.
Helmets are one of the few things I won't buy from OS sources for that reason.
As stated above by others, racing is a different kettle of fish, with different rules and insurance terms. But you are safer to ALWAYS ride with an AS approved helmet.
Sorry, next time I will be more specific to avoid silly arguments...

'Ross

Eats Squid
They look like a joke helmet made for little kiddies whos bikes also have motorbike style fenders:rolleyes: Would the chin attachment even do anything in a crash besides snap off and stab you in the eye? I say get a real helmet or get a full face, no half stepping hybrid trash.

749dark

Likes Dirt
Would the chin attachment even do anything in a crash besides snap off and stab you in the eye? I say get a real helmet or get a full face, no half stepping hybrid trash.
After doing more research, this is what a few others have also said. Also i'm mindful from a legal perspective if in the unfortunate event of an accident that results in litigation, the wearer may not be entitled to their/any claim if the helmet doesn't meet Australian Standards.

So for XC and trail riding, can anyone recommend a full-faced helmet that is light and breathable. This is for a female.

Thanks

Trevor_S

Likes Dirt
I'm pretty sure this has now been answered above.
Not to my satisfaction.

So it's not hyperbole at all, it's a legal thing for good reason.
Sure it is, you (and others) don't seem to have offered any "proof" here, just FUD on your part and on the part of others ?

If strict compliance with the law is your aim, I can only assume then that you have the little reflectors still on your wheels, on your pedals and the bell on the front, if not that simply screams hypocrisy. Or do you just ignore those parts of the road rules and think that "insurance companies" will be pedantic about helmets alone but not reflectors or bells for example ?

Helmets are one of the few things I won't buy from OS sources for that reason.
and that's fine but I think the "reasoning" is unsound. I have one of each BTW. Maybe I will just take the AS sticker from an old K-Mart helmet and put it on the Bell I imported from OS.

As stated above by others, racing is a different kettle of fish, with different rules and insurance terms. But you are safer to ALWAYS ride with an AS approved helmet.
Safer ! That's one of the points of the debate, I doubt that it's safer at all, do you think the AS sticker provides a magic shield ? If so, then why not just buy a helmet from K-Mart ? I doubt our approval standards are that much higher then most of the rest of the World. That it is illegal to ride on the road is not debatable but rarely is their a bike on the road that complies strictly with the law.

Sorry, next time I will be more specific to avoid silly arguments...
Always the best practice :)

Sure, if someone asks about riding with a helmet with no AS sticker, it's quite sensible to point out that you will be breaking the road rules and if it is for racing to probably check what the rules are for the discipline you undertake but it is also disingenuous to spread FUD and perhaps not point out that it is also illegal to ride on the road with-out a bell and reflectors.

Last edited:

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mate, if you must pick apart every sentence in an attempt to prove the superiority of your position, at least don't lead others astray by counter-arguing what is quite simply the law in this country. It isn't a debate.
It is fact. You MUST wear an AS standard helmet at all times while cycling. End of discussion.
Your point about 'switching labels' highlights your ignorance.
They are coded to match the helmet... They're a little smarter than that, obviously.
And yes, according to the standards, your K-Mart helmet is just as good as your $300 top-end lid.
It's probably less efficient at cooling, but offers no less protection according to the standards testing procedure.
Go look it up on Google to see what they do.
Our standards go beyond other standards testing, and we've led the world in compulsory helmet wearing as a result of those tests.
Read this for a bit of info, too.

http://www.bicyclingaustralia.com/bicycling-news.php?id=66

Finally, on bells and reflectors, why not also point out all the other road rules NOT part of the discussion about helmets and do a proper job of making a pointless argument.

Last edited:

'Ross

Eats Squid
Don't the stickers change colour when you take them off? Or do something that lets you know that they have been removed?

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't the stickers change colour when you take them off? Or do something that lets you know that they have been removed?
The label has 2 layers, and the silver backing breaks away from the clear front (where the type is printed). At least it did on the last Giro E2 I destroyed...
It's a type of security sticker.

JKWITS

Squid
After doing more research, this is what a few others have also said. Also i'm mindful from a legal perspective if in the unfortunate event of an accident that results in litigation, the wearer may not be entitled to their/any claim if the helmet doesn't meet Australian Standards.

So for XC and trail riding, can anyone recommend a full-faced helmet that is light and breathable. This is for a female.

Thanks
I researched this a while back and came to a similar conclusion. In the end the riding I was doing was more suited to a standard xc.

From other forums I have read that the specialized deviant is a light well ventilated helmet. Try searching for full face and AM or all mountain in the MTBR.com forums, there are some threads there.

JK

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Re: compliance with the law. Vic road rules require a solid or flashing white light that can be seen from 200 metres away on the front of the bike, a red reflector that is visible from 50 metres by a vehicle on low beam, a solid or flashing red light to the rear that is visible from 200 metres. And a bell.

Yes, I do comply with all of these conditions. Except the bell.

Trevor, if you choose to ride with a non-AS approved helmet, that's fine, that's your decision. However I think it is irresponsible to encourage other people to do it.

gnarly_rider

Likes Dirt
I researched this a while back and came to a similar conclusion. In the end the riding I was doing was more suited to a standard xc.

From other forums I have read that the specialized deviant is a light well ventilated helmet. Try searching for full face and AM or all mountain in the MTBR.com forums, there are some threads there.

JK
I own a deviant (for DH work), and while it is a light well-ventilated helmet, this in comparison to DH helmets. Compared to XC lids it is still heavy and poorly ventilated IMO. You will rapidly fry your brains riding in one of these XC uphills...