Merri Creek Trails?

Mafra

Likes Bikes
Having just moved to Fawkner (Outer Coburg?), I'm wondering if anyone knows of any single track that people make use of along the Merri Creek?

I haven't had a good explore yet, keen to know if it's worth me looking, or sticking to using the creek trail for commuting and trying to encourage wifey to get out and ride her bike more.

Cheers in advance

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Having just moved to Fawkner (Outer Coburg?), I'm wondering if anyone knows of any single track that people make use of along the Merri Creek?

I haven't had a good explore yet, keen to know if it's worth me looking, or sticking to using the creek trail for commuting and trying to encourage wifey to get out and ride her bike more.

Cheers in advance
mate there is alittle - just explore - yarra has heaps

ndc

Likes Bikes
There's a bit of dirt on the Western creek bank between Moreland Rd/Normanby Ave and the bridge crossing at Harding St. Fun to break up a commute.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's a bit of dirt on the Western creek bank between Moreland Rd/Normanby Ave and the bridge crossing at Harding St. Fun to break up a commute.
there aren't much more single track apart from that section above, also good part up around old Kodak site, near coburg lake behind athletic track 4-5ks (cash reserve), some steep stuff. I've used it as a training loop and it was used a few years ago as a cx course, also used for xc fun runs.

there's huge potential along the merri creek, on drive in side there's some bit and pieces of single track behind factories. you can also go north up to edwards lake if you start at athletic track.

merri creek is more bike path and a good way to access yarra trails going toward city or Plenty Gorge going north to ring road.

Last edited:

martinpb

Likes Dirt
I often use the main creek path as an extended commute to work (from Mill Park to Parkville). Not much dirt, but the way the track it built makes it a bit like mountain biking on concrete :)

ndc

Likes Bikes
...also good part up around old Kodak site, near coburg lake behind athletic track 4-5ks (cash reserve), some steep stuff.

there's huge potential along the merri creek, on drive in side there's some bit and pieces of single track behind factories. you can also go north up to edwards lake if you start at athletic track...
I've always been meaning to check out this area for a quick and time-poor dirt fix. Thanks for the tip!

Mafra

Likes Bikes
Thanks everyone - Sounds like what i expected but as you've all suggested there's probably enough to break up the commute from Fawkner to Parkville.

Will check it out on the CX bike.