Membership of MTBA/CA/Bicycle NSW

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have decided that it is about time that I join one or more of the various bodies that represent mtb/cycling, partially for the insurance coverage and partially to support the groups that should be representing our interests.

So which way(s) to go?

I haven't to date raced any MTBA events, but this might change this year, but the savings on 2-3 day licenses won't cover the cost alone.

I like the idea of having some insurance coverage while riding (both on road and off road).

And I don't race at all on the road - is this what CA membership is all about?

I have also heard that you can get membership to IMBA, but is this really worth it?

So, who here is a member of one or more of these and why?

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Correct me if I'm wrong, but club/MTBA membership does not cover you for anything unless you are competing in an event that comes under the auspices of MTBA? Club races and so forth... It doesn't cover you for a ride out with your mates and all that.

I'm a member of the local club 'cos they're grouse, they do grouse advocacy work, hold grouse events and I like having a card in my wallet that reminds me of riding when I'm not riding :)

frensham

Likes Dirt
I think MTBA membership insurance covers you for training too. Either way if you don't already have ambulance cover it's well worth it to be a member.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
I'm a member of bicycle NSW. I wanted the insurance cover when I was commuting (both for myself and in case I did something stupid and caused someone else to have an accident) and I like the idea of giving some money to a group like that so they can do some advocacy stuff.

Cypher

Likes Dirt
I'm a member of bicycle NSW. I wanted the insurance cover when I was commuting (both for myself and in case I did something stupid and caused someone else to have an accident) and I like the idea of giving some money to a group like that so they can do some advocacy stuff.
And you get a subscription to Australian Cyclist magazine, which has improved in quality considerably over the past few years (they no longer do articles solely on bike tourers)

dcrofty

Eats Squid
And you get a subscription to Australian Cyclist magazine, which has improved in quality considerably over the past few years (they no longer do articles solely on bike tourers)
True, I throw it on the magazine pile in the toilet and when I've read all the MTB ones it gets a run. Not bad at all.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Word in our club is that the MTBA insurance applies to formal club outings - eg Saturday club rides, ?trail maintenance and social days, but not to every trip you do on the bike. I only have a social rather than racing membership, so cannot comment on race training etc, but I bet it is similar.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Word in our club is that the MTBA insurance applies to formal club outings - eg Saturday club rides, ?trail maintenance and social days, but not to every trip you do on the bike. I only have a social rather than racing membership, so cannot comment on race training etc, but I bet it is similar.
I would assume that the BNSW would cover for offroad riding as well?

Is there any benefit to CA membership?Or is this just for road racing?