Mechanical doping - available publicly?

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure if everyone has heard about the mechanical doping conspiracy theories that are going on at the moment in the road racing world?

In essence, an electric motor is inserted into the seat tube that can then drive the bottom bracket providing extra power, while being a relatively stealth system and still allowing the bike to function properly.

I don't want to get into a debate about whether or not it is happening, I am wondering whether or not this technology is available publicly? I think it would be an awesome system for a commuter bike, giving extra speed or extra help on the uphill sections, while still retaining the look and functionality of a normal bike.

I don't like the other electric bikes or motors than some bikes have as it totally takes away from the nice look of a bike.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Stealthy, except for the mysterious big red button on the handlebars and the strange whinning noise coming from the BB... ;)
well yes, except for that. At least the general public won't see me on a geeky looking old mountain bike witha a lawnmower attachment on the back - and the cops won't be able to ping me for riding a 'motorised' bike.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just found the below after searching for gruber assist. Seems a little pricey, might just have to pedal faster.

GRUBER Assist is a ultra-light drive for mountain bikes, trekking cycles and tour cycles, suitable for later installation. The skilfully conceived Gruber motor is invisibly built into the bicycle (seat tube with an inner diameter of 31.6mm required) and scores especially highly on account of its light weight (900 g).
A touch of the Turbo button at the bar end – and the burning sensation in your thighs disappears – the healthy perspiration, however, remains. The auxiliary drive, with its 200 watt of additional power, promises a performance increase of up to 100% - for up to 1.5 hours. When the drive is switched off, you continue cycling as normal. GRUBER Assist guarantees pleasurable cycling without a red face!
Product attributes
• The electric motor is very light
• The propelling assistance is invisible• Cycling becomes fitness cycling and is thereby healthier
• Thanks to its retrofit kit, it is almost irrelevant what brand of bike you have
• The pedal assistance brings speed on flat and power going uphill

Gruber assist kit- £1800
Installation £100
Li-ion manganese Battery £280
Extra Li-ion charger £129
Li-ion car charger £139