Maxxis tyre question

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I'm wanting a Maxxis DHR in DH casing (wirebead) that is harder wearing than the 'super tacky' compound that I'm currently running. I managed to pretty much shred one in only one day at Bright, which is an expensive exercise. I'm looking at the '3C' version, but annoyingly sellers aren't giving any detailed info on which variant of 3C I'm getting.

As I understand it, 3C is triple compound, where the centre knobs are harder wearing, as is the underneath layer (why this a factor I don't know). Then there is 'Maxx Grip' or 'Maxx Terra', the former being a softer compound than the latter. Whether this applies to the centre tread or side knobs (or both) I don't know.

Is the most durable DHR going to be the 3C Maxx Terra?

Is there anything else on the market that offers the same level of grip and robustness (I'm talking sidewall slashes, not tread wear) as the DHR? I like the DH version of the Magic Mary, but it rolls a little slowly for my taste and may wear very quickly unless it was the cheap 'bike park' version.

This is all for the rear, I've got the front sorted with a Magic Mary Addix.

Attachments

Z

Zaf

Tried the dual compound version of the same tyre? They're usually much longer wearing.

Z

Zaf

Max terra lasts longer
Are all tyres available in the different 3C compounds though? I was under the impression the Maxx Terra's were only available for the XC tread patterns and the AM/DH style treads were always in the Maxx Gripp compounds. Or has that just been luck of the draw with my purchasing of them?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Na you can get Maxx Grip or Maxx Terra in DHRII or DHF 3C

For the rear, Dual Compound is good enough for me. I want more grip up front.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zaf

teK--

Eats Squid
Are all tyres available in the different 3C compounds though? I was under the impression the Maxx Terra's were only available for the XC tread patterns and the AM/DH style treads were always in the Maxx Gripp compounds. Or has that just been luck of the draw with my purchasing of them?
I've always run DHR2 on the rear in 3C Max Terra, and never had any issue finding them in stock. I know dual compound would last longer but since I run a 2.3 on a wide rim which squares the tyre off, I want a slightly softer compound to make up for the reduced cornering grip.

Even then I still get a good 6 months out of one rear tyre before it is chopped up enough to warrant changing over. For Rob's reference, one of them lasted me 2 weekends at Bright and 5 months of general riding before it reached that point.

Reactions: Zaf

Nautonier

Eats Squid
It seems the dual compound is only in foldable and they only do Maxx Grip in 3C or super tacky for wirebead. I want a full DH tyre, I've tried Double Down and whilst it held up better than EXO, it ultimately failed. Only comes in 2.3 anyway, I want 2.4WT.