Mavic XC 717 Disc

Whiper11

Likes Bikes
I am looking at getting another pair of wheels for my Trance x1. The stock XT's are a little flexy for my liking (being a bigger rider over 120kg's)

The latest What Mountain Bike had a wheel test and the Mavic XC 717 Disc with Hope hubs came up tops and said it was a robust bomb proof wheel set with a good weight, which seemed to fit my bill.

Looking at CRC it says the rims are EU only so it doesnt look like i could get a set here.

I did the wheel build thingy on CRC and they come in at under $500 for the pair which seems like an acceptable price to me.

What are the similar options for me to the XC 717 rims?

Also anybody have any experience with the CRC wheel building service and delivery??

regards

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Whiper11 I have these rims from CRC with hope pro 2 hubs on my xc/trail bike for almost 2 years now with the exception that I got the non-disc version which a little bit more side wall (for v-brakes) and offer a bit more strength over the dics only version.

I have done lots of riding and they have been basically maintanence free, I don't even remember having to re-tension the spokes and I tend to ride my XC bike like its my DH bike and give it a hard time, I highly recommend them.

when new

on the bike

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I havent personally ridden these rims, but if your weight is over 120kg (most riders would be around 50-80kg).. it may be worth getting a more "enduro" wheel set for piece of mind.

The Mavic 521 or DT 5.1d's are both relatively light and are plenty strong. That way the wheelset will both last alot longer, with having to true it less often, and basically just more bombproof if you decide to take the more "rockier" way down the trail.

Whiper11

Likes Bikes
I just ordered a set of these last week. Exciting!

I hear theyre brilliant by all reports.
Where did you get yours from and roughly how much did you pay? (unless thats a rude question)

On CRC they say they are EU only, did you have any troubles getting them with that restriction?

regards

lounge lizard

Likes Bikes
I've got two sets of these rims (from CRC) laced to xt hubs on my dually and my SSer.

They've had a fair bit of abuse over he last two years and have held up pretty well, a couple of tweeks here and there but no major injuries.

And I'm on the wrong side of 90kgs....

plum163

Likes Dirt
If your over 90kg i really wouldn't bother with a set of 717. They are cross county rim. For your weight i would be looking at something like a DT 5.1, Sun SOS or mavic 721 or something like that. If your ride a bit rough 717's will last about two rides with your weight. I have had a pair of 717 and although they are a good light rim when built well, for you weight i think that they would be a waste of your money. I upgraded my 717's to a set of DT 5.1's and they are great. Although a little bit heavier they are a lot stronger.

Whiper11

Likes Bikes
If your over 90kg i really wouldn't bother with a set of 717. They are cross county rim. For your weight i would be looking at something like a DT 5.1, Sun SOS or mavic 721 or something like that. If your ride a bit rough 717's will last about two rides with your weight. I have had a pair of 717 and although they are a good light rim when built well, for you weight i think that they would be a waste of your money. I upgraded my 717's to a set of DT 5.1's and they are great. Although a little bit heavier they are a lot stronger.
Do you reckon all three of those would be a better bet for me than XT's? If they wold be similar or only marginally better then it wouldnt be worth it.

fooch

Likes Bikes
Could you not get your hubs rebuilt with the rims suggested? If you went for 2 or 3 cross lacing with good double butted spokes and brass nipples it should make for a solid wheel, but only if the spoke count is more than 28.

sidathensgold

Likes Dirt
They arrived during the week. With alloy nips and competition spokes they were 430, but would be less now cos the dollar keeps getting better. No hassles with getting them into the country as long as your total order is less than $1000 as far as I know.

Lash out, they're sweet wheels!

Where did you get yours from and roughly how much did you pay? (unless thats a rude question)

On CRC they say they are EU only, did you have any troubles getting them with that restriction?

regards