Mavic CrossMax XL... or SX?

Matt H

Eats Squid
So I'm looking to buy some new wheels for my Enduro soon, and I've heard some pretty good stuff about CrossMax XL for trail and All-Mountain stuff. I'm not the smoothest rider out there and at the moment I weigh 65kg.

They'll be used for All-Mountain but I want to venture into some more hard-hitting freeride kind of stuff and even a bit of downhill.
So I was thinking maybe spend a bit more cash and get the SX.

If anyone here has personally used, know of, or read from any reliable sources about the XL or SX - Could you please discuss the wheels and whether I should get the SX or will the XL tough it?

Cheers
Matt

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have you considered a more traditional style wheelset?

I looked at Mavics but ended up with DT Swiss 5.1ds laced to Hope Pro IIs - light, strong, reliable and a big saving to boot....thought it might be worth mentioning.

Matt H

Eats Squid
Have you considered a more traditional style wheelset?

I looked at Mavics but ended up with DT Swiss 5.1ds laced to Hope Pro IIs - light, strong, reliable and a big saving to boot....thought it might be worth mentioning.
I have... but I've ridden SLR's before and was amazed at the stiffness of them.

Plus I mean, not many people have them - think of the wank factor :p

Z0MGilles ill b lyke teh totle non-conformist

topher

Likes Dirt
Dirt mag rates the SX over the SL's as more durable even with the slight weight penalty.
So they should be as sl's were designed as an xc race wheel? Slrs are also xc race wheels.

So if your looking to venture into light freeride slight dh, id steer well clear of the slrs unless youve got money to burn!

For the same money as the xl or sx you could build up a good set of hubs 240's or 340's to 819s or dt swiss 5.1's. The wheelset would cost around the same as xl or slrs. However you get more easily service able wheel. You dont have to worry about paying a small fortune for the spokes the mavic wheels require.

Last edited:

gravelclimber

Likes Dirt
I've got SX's, but have only had them for a month so can't say too much. They seem very stiff for their weight, and look the goods. Skewers have a cheap feel though, which is a little disappointing. Since they are designed specifically for AM, they're the ones I'd be going for.

Mavic reckon:

29% stiffer than the Crossmax XL Disc (redesigned hub geometry, oversized hubs, wider dish, wider bearing spacing, 26 mm external rim width for tires up to 2,5 inches, beefy round, straight pull spokes for sharper riding ability and more power off corners and berms. Shorter spokes to reduce tension cycles, balance spoke tensions from side to side, reduce material fatigue and improve the endurance of the wheel.