Mavic crossmax enduro wheelset .

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't have any specific advice on this wheelset, but it is a lot of $ for a (albeit blingy) ally wheelset. Crossmax are good wheels, but replacement spokes are exxy and can be hard to find, and with a 24 count on an enduro wheel you might need them.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I had a set of Crossmax SL on my Trance, awesome wheels, light, strong, spun well and look the mutts with the low chunky spoke count.

Then I built a set of LB rims on Hope Pro II 650b for my Banshee. I have to say i prefer these to the Mavics, peace of mind of being able to get spokes easily, Hope's excellent sapres availablity and being able to repair and rebuild myself with no funky nipples or wierd tools required.

They also wernt as expensive as the Enduro Mavics, (although still pricey) I still had to buy tyres and set up tubeless, where as the Mavics come set up with tyres. Saying that, you dont have the choice of tyre on the mavic Enduros, theyre sold with the Mavic branded tyres and that mightnt suit you.

mongoosemichael

Likes Dirt
I don't have any specific advice on this wheelset, but it is a lot of $ for a (albeit blingy) ally wheelset. Crossmax are good wheels, but replacement spokes are exxy and can be hard to find, and with a 24 count on an enduro wheel you might need them.
Thanks the parts were one of my concerns but the shop I'm getting them from says thats not an issue.

mongoosemichael

Likes Dirt
I had a set of Crossmax SL on my Trance, awesome wheels, light, strong, spun well and look the mutts with the low chunky spoke count.

Then I built a set of LB rims on Hope Pro II 650b for my Banshee. I have to say i prefer these to the Mavics, peace of mind of being able to get spokes easily, Hope's excellent sapres availablity and being able to repair and rebuild myself with no funky nipples or wierd tools required.

They also wernt as expensive as the Enduro Mavics, (although still pricey) I still had to buy tyres and set up tubeless, where as the Mavics come set up with tyres. Saying that, you dont have the choice of tyre on the mavic Enduros, theyre sold with the Mavic branded tyres and that mightnt suit you.
Yeah i got quoted up some custom built wheels with pro evo 2 hubs. I wanted the hope tech enduro rims but not available in Australia . The guy in the bike shop went above and beyond and found that they are a mavic rim so that is also an option. I'm thinking the mavic enduro may be a touch to much yellow on my bike also . ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408672069.359696.jpg

slowmick

38-39"
Being able to get parts from the shop is cool but they probably won't stock them. i have Roval wheels with straight pull spokes. i have a handful of spares as almost no one keeps straight pull pokes on the shelf and some bike shops can't even source them. I wouldn't buy another set of wheel with straight pull spokes - not worth the hassle.

If you can get something with standard J spokes - then you can get the wheel fixed pretty much anywhere. If not buy spares to keep in your kit - nothing worse than being off the bike for a few poxy spokes.

Puddleduck

Likes Dirt

Hey JT, what are "LB" rims?

I've been looking on CRC for some new nice rims and hubs. Hope hubs get a lot of positive reviews so I've been trying to work out what hope hub to get and what are some great quality rims. About time to upgrade to something more nice and shiny and ohhhhhhh. :spy:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Hey JT, what are "LB" rims?

I've been looking on CRC for some new nice rims and hubs. Hope hubs get a lot of positive reviews so I've been trying to work out what hope hub to get and what are some great quality rims. About time to upgrade to something more nice and shiny and ohhhhhhh. :spy:
LB are Light Bicycle Carbon rims from China, there's a huge thread on them on Rotorburn. You can buy rims alone and get the wheels built, or LB will build wheels for you. I even think that they do builds on Hope Hubs now too.

http://www.light-bicycle.com/carbon-mountain-bike/carbon-mountain-bike-wheels

As for hubs, the Hope Evo Pro II are so versitile as you can get conversions for nearly every axel configuration.
Bearings are easy to get and relatively easy to change, build quiality is awesome and the make that funky clicky noise that from the free hub!

Attachments

Last edited:

DJR

Likes Dirt
LB = Light Bicycle

I have custom wheels on my trance, stans flow EX 650B + DT competition spokes + TWE hubs, they have been great, easy to set up tubeless, super strong and pretty light all up (whole wheelset probably around 1700-1800g excl cassette).

I am not sure about the mavics, but mine were less half the price of them, have easily replaceable spokes, can take adaptors between various axle standards and have been quite good so far, definitely an improvement over the p-xc2's my trance came with.

You could do worse to get some cheap good carbon rims (e.g. the LB ones) or stans flow EX laced to hope pro 2's with some quality spokes. Hard to beat the value there

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Hi
I'm thinking of buying a MAVIC CROSSMAX ENDURO WHEELSET for my trance.

Just looking for some real life reviews are they worth the $1600 they will cost?
For that sort of cash I'd be looking at White Industries Mi6 hubs and some Zelvy carbon rims held to together with plain jane Sapim spokes...they'd probably outlast the next bike you get, let alone the Trance.

mongoosemichael

Likes Dirt
LB = Light Bicycle

I have custom wheels on my trance, stans flow EX 650B + DT competition spokes + TWE hubs, they have been great, easy to set up tubeless, super strong and pretty light all up (whole wheelset probably around 1700-1800g excl cassette).

I am not sure about the mavics, but mine were less half the price of them, have easily replaceable spokes, can take adaptors between various axle standards and have been quite good so far, definitely an improvement over the p-xc2's my trance came with.

You could do worse to get some cheap good carbon rims (e.g. the LB ones) or stans flow EX laced to hope pro 2's with some quality spokes. Hard to beat the value there
Yeah i wanted some ZTR flow rims but on back order I'm told. I have the the hope pro evo 2 and flow rims on my old bike i cant complain. As for carbon rims I have a carbon bike but as for carbon rims never happen i will die. Lol

BKMad

Likes Dirt
The other thing to consider is rim width. Mavics come up very narrow compared with most other rims these days. If you want to spend that much you can probably get some syntace wheels which will be much wider and a similar weight.