Marzocchi 888 problem

cvbass

Likes Dirt
Hi all, I'm having a problem with my 2007 888 RC2X WC Forks where the rebound is super slow. It happened half way down a run the other day. I've since had them serviced (Oil change) but still have the same problem. The external adjusters don't help at all.
Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Thanks

F1234K

Likes Dirt
I had a similar problem with some 05 888 RC's where it was fast and I couldn't get it to slow down using the external adjustment.

I tried various oils (thicker, brands) and none seemed to really help, although the thicker oil did slow it down a bit.

During one of the various rebuilds I did the adjustment suddenly started working again and I was stoked! I wanted to make sure it was fixed and turned the rebound all the way fast, and then all the way slow again and after making the adjustments the rebound was stuck on fast again :(

I eventually gave up and replaced the internal cartridge and now it's all good again.

The fact that it did come right after one rebuild tells me it might be something that is just slightly off on the inside of the cartridge. You cannot open them up to fiddle on the inside so you might be out of luck and need to replace it, or you could keep fiddling and it might fix itself.

Another tip might be to use lighter oil which should flow quicker and might speed it up enough so you can use it...

cvbass

Likes Dirt
Turns out the adjuster rod for the rebound knob was stripped. Just thought I'd post in case anyone else has the same problem!

????

i am having problems with my 888 they are 7 months old have been rebuilt once already ,and keep bottoming out from minor drops , also problems with fast rocky downhill sections ????????

DJR

Likes Dirt
i am having problems with my 888 they are 7 months old have been rebuilt once already ,and keep bottoming out from minor drops , also problems with fast rocky downhill sections ????????
Could be any number of things, cartridge could have blown etc... if it's bottoming out check oil levels (may be too low - a higher oil level will prevent bottom out)

F1234K

Likes Dirt
Turns out the adjuster rod for the rebound knob was stripped. Just thought I'd post in case anyone else has the same problem!
Do you mean inside the cartridge or do you mean at the top so the rebound knob was just spinning without actually turning the inside shaft?

Glad you found the problem, did you have to replace it or was there some sort of fix?