Marzocchi 66RC2X sounds rough and dry

nathanm

Eats Squid
And no one should like it rough and/or dry.
Forks came on a Giant AC2 so must have been an upgrade at some stage. Forks look almost mint though and the bike doesn't appear to have much use.
Drop the oil which looked brand new and was most likely factory stuff. Pistons and springs looked perfect and even after replacing with Motorex 7.5wt 190cc/ml per leg it still sounds exactly the same.
Best I can describe is the noise sounds like the springs rubbing on the inside of the legs?

moorey

call me Mia
Ps, not being a dick. My old Zocci coil forks always did that. Are the springs sleeved/coated?

Last edited:

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
Ps, not being a dick. My old coil forks always did that. Are the springs sleeved/coated?
My old 888's and 66's (04/05 ish) used to do that, I was advised to put some heat shrink tubing over the middle of the spring and it helped quieten them. My 02 Shiver DC used to make a really loud almost like cracking sound on heavy landings and the heat shrink combined with some heavy weight motorbike fork oil helped that.

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Like other have already said, is the heat shrink still on the coil springs?
Marzocchi used this funny clear heat shrink that is THINNER than what you will find from an electrical seller or bunnings.
You can get away with using regular electrical heat shrink, though it does come loose and migrate up or down eventually.
just use more shorter pieces. (3 or 4 per spring ~15-20MM each piece)

Also, DONT fill the space between oil seal and dust wiper with grease, it just attracts more dust behind the wiper seal.