marzocchi 55 problem

joshbb

Likes Dirt
so i bought these 08 55 ata 2's second hand a few months ago. then i wanted to adjust the rebound so i took off the cap and turned this little bolt instead of turning the bolt surrounding it with the cap still on. when i did this all the oil came out. biggest downer moment ever. anyway. i then rode them for the next week or so, just commuting the took them off and started using my old forks.since then i still havent been able to use them. i took them to ivanhow cycles and got the oil put back in and they are still resting at about 70mm instead of 160mm. ivanhoe then told me i should send them to south australia where the marzocchi importer will fix them. is there any other way around this. some guy told me his mate rebuilds at home. any help would be great. most shops only do fox and rock shox.
cheers

josh

Sketchl

Likes Bikes
S.C.V. Imports

I suggest that you take your Bomber forks to you preferred LBS and ask them to forward to S.C.V. Imports who will repair and service your Bomber fork back to life.....no bullsh#t!:cool:

Last edited:

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Sounds like rather than adjusting the rebound control, you've undone the footbolt. It's also likely some damage was sustained during the week of commuting.

With regeards to the travel, is this resting at 70mm or you can only achieve 70mm out of 160mm of travel? Or are they 'winding themselves down' as such?

Marz are strong supporters of their registered service centers - part of the reason why they don't publish service guides online or anything. SCV will be your best bet, as stated above.

joshbb

Likes Dirt
theyre locked on 70mm. i think ill take them to bsc and get them to send them off. any ideas on price?

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
The ata unit has died. They will want to replace it. best bet is to swap it for a non ata unit as its fairly common problem.

4dabush

Likes Dirt
SCV fixed mine 2 times, and quickly. ATA died x 2 and has now been replaced with a non ATA unit so the forks are fixed at 160mm travel. They have been plush and reliable since. I miss the ATA, but I prefer reliability. I understand SCV can set the forks at different heights, so if you are more XC oriented, maybe set them at lower travel.

goodluck.

norco_123

Likes Bikes
the 2008 marzocchi 55 range was just a joke. i have 55 tst2 ata. ive had them fixed 4 times now with the same problem you have. and now they just look like this. i just ended up buying a pair of 2009 55 rc3 brand new through s.c.v imports. and they are amazing.
Old
IMG_0432.jpg

New
IMG_0437.jpg

joshbb

Likes Dirt
thanks for your help guys. i might just get them set at 160mm for max travel for dh. any hints on how much it costs?