AM Marketing Hype Box Ticking

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
I've gotten on well with my 2x EXT's so far. My brother likes his Hover. Did take him a few weeks to setup with varying pressures and volume spacers. Closest thing to a coil I've had a spin on.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The other option is the Push 11-6. It’s quite a bit heavier though and it’s just a generic tune to suit the Druid. They won’t customise to suit the Cascade Link. They’re on sale at the moment and quite a bit cheaper (at least compared to the EXT). NSR will custom tune it to suit.

Have thought about the Fast Fenix but really don’t know much about it, or alternatively EXT Aria. I suspect the Aria won’t fit the Druid though with the valve in the side of the air can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
The other option is the Push 11-6. It’s quite a bit heavier though and it’s just a generic tune to suit the Druid. They won’t customise to suit the Cascade Link. They’re on sale at the moment and quite a bit cheaper (at least compared to the EXT). NSR will custom tune it to suit.
The Push has been really good in some aspects on my Dreadnought (mainly responsiveness) but I'm miles away from the recommended factory settings now and still thinking I need a lighter spring which I apparently shouldn't for my weight.

Also I'll be in Frankfurt from tomorrow and shouldn't be that much of an issue storing an Intend shock in some luggage if that's any use....

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Push has been really good in some aspects on my Dreadnought (mainly responsiveness) but I'm miles away from the recommended factory settings now and still thinking I need a lighter spring which I apparently shouldn't for my weight.

Also I'll be in Frankfurt from tomorrow and shouldn't be that much of an issue storing an Intend shock in some luggage if that's any use....
Cheers - appreciate the offer. Postage actually isnt too expensive and seems like most Intend stuff slips on through customs.

I'm leaning towards the EXT in any event. I had the DHX2 in a pretty good place and I like the feel of the coil on it. Only downside of the DHX2 was the lack of bottom out control.

EXT now have a dealer in Vic - MTB Suspension Works in Bayswater North. Has anyone had any dealings with them? They've been working on a tune for the Druid and will customise to suit the cascade link.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Cheers - appreciate the offer. Postage actually isnt too expensive and seems like most Intend stuff slips on through customs.

I'm leaning towards the EXT in any event. I had the DHX2 in a pretty good place and I like the feel of the coil on it. Only downside of the DHX2 was the lack of bottom out control.

EXT now have a dealer in Vic - MTB Suspension Works in Bayswater North. Has anyone had any dealings with them? They've been working on a tune for the Druid and will customise to suit the cascade link.
I’ve had a great experience with my Storia and I’ve used Trav at suspension works to service it and my Era fork. Good bloke and knows his stuff. Always up for a chat and just loves bikes so I would recommend him.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’ve had a great experience with my Storia and I’ve used Trav at suspension works to service it and my Era fork. Good bloke and knows his stuff. Always up for a chat and just loves bikes so I would recommend him.
That’s good to know. Unfortunately I spent last night watching videos of the noise the EXT makes and I think I’ve swing back the other way in favour of the Hover…

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
That’s good to know. Unfortunately I spent last night watching videos of the noise the EXT makes and I think I’ve swing back the other way in favour of the Hover…

Fair enough. They undoubtedly make noise but I can honestly tell you that I never notice it on the trail

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Fair enough. They undoubtedly make noise but I can honestly tell you that I never notice it on the trail
Agreed. Once I go above walking pace I don’t hear it. I’ve tuned it out as an accepted noise of something working as it should, like hearing the rebound swoosh of your fork. In fact when it didn’t make noise that alerted me to the fact that the IFP chamber was losing its pressure.

Last edited:

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In a mark of my indecision I’ve flipped back and ordered an EXT.

What tipped me over the line is that it can be reconfigured to different strokes and lengths. There’ll inevitably be a be a new frame in the next year or two and if I’m dropping this much cash on it, I’d rather be able to hang on to it.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Update time. The drivetrain finally gave out - the cassette after some long hard service across two bikes - which kickstarted a bit of a refresh.

I tried to take some of the resistance out of the high pivot drivetrain. Alongside the new chain, cassette and chainring, I fitted a Garbaruk oversized cage and pulleys, MRP MXg chainguide and a new idler pulley. There’s a few factors, but in combination there’s significantly less resistance in the drivetrain and it spins pretty freely. I think it’s primarily MXg which swaps a pulley and bearing, for a rubber wheel in the stock eThirteen.

The big ticket item was the EXT Storia shock. TL;DR it’s damn nice. Fitted with needle bearings at the bottom end, 475lb spring (up 25lbs), Slik decals, and Pinner Machine Shop spacer (so the coil clears the Cascade Components link).

I’ve had two pretty solid rides so far and haven’t touched the dials on the shock yet, so the tune seems pretty spot on.

The DHX on it before felt plush, but you were very aware that you were riding a relatively short travel bike, and it would blast through the travel and bottom out fairly harshly. I’m not sure whether it’s the hydraulically bottom out or the heavier spring, but I could tell you if bottomed out the EXT yet.

Much like the fork, the shock it almost unnoticeable - it just gets on with the job and you don’t notice it, which is probably the best compliment you can give a shock. The clicking on the switch from rebound to compression is a little annoying but not too bad. I don’t mind hearing it working as it compresses.

Also downsized to a 180mm rotor on the back. Maybe it was the smaller wheel, but the braking power just felt a bit unbalanced with 200/200 front and rear.

Other upgrades were an X01 shifter to replace the GX, and a Wolftooth Pro dropper lever.

At the moment it feels like I’ve hit the absolute sweet spot. It just feels perfect to ride.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How’s the 180 rotor out back going? I just got my hands on a Druid and am having issues with braking the rear. Great for skids, but bad for stopping on steep tech.

I thought it might be an adjustment after coming off the e-bike, but maybe a 180 rotor out back might work to counteract this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How’s the 180 rotor out back going? I just got my hands on a Druid and am having issues with braking the rear. Great for skids, but bad for stopping on steep tech.

I thought it might be an adjustment after coming off the e-bike, but maybe a 180 rotor out back might work to counteract this.

It’s fine. i think it balances out the braking a bit better. Are you running a mulet setup?

I had Hope Tech 3s on it before which had noticeably less power than the Tech 4s. I feel like with the extra grab theres a bit more leeway to give up some on the rear in pursuit of balance.

That said, on the longer braking heavy descents at Bright the rear cooked itself before the front did.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It’s fine. i think it balances out the braking a bit better. Are you running a mulet setup?

I had Hope Tech 3s on it before which had noticeably less power than the Tech 4s. I feel like with the extra grab theres a bit more leeway to give up some on the rear in pursuit of balance.

That said, on the longer braking heavy descents at Bright the rear cooked itself before the front did.
Yeah running the mullet with the Ziggy link.
I just replaced the Code R with RSCs and I feel it has improved a little, but might do a rotor upgrade and go the 200/180 option.