Manly Dam - more MTB restrictions announced

Kitoff

Flow Mountain Bike
Apologies if this has been posted already. I just received a press release that outlines more areas of Manly Dam which mountain bikes are to be prohibited from, most notably the golf course single track running parallel to the Wakehurst Parkway.

Release below:

Warringah Council puts safety first!

Warringah Council has put the brakes on bike riding for safety reasons around parts of Manly Warringah War Memorial Park.

Please find attached the Manly Dam Bike Access media release and map. For more information visit www.warringah.nsw.gov.au, call 9942 2111 or email council@warringah.nsw.gov.au

Kind regards,

Simonne Savic | Media and Communications Assistant | Warringah Council

Attachments

DHdreamer

Likes Bikes
Unfortunate

This was not what I wanted to read when I received the Council email earlier this afternoon. Humph. Considering the numbers of incidents (guessing it would be a tiny number) vis-a-vis the number of users, it seems a bit of an overreaction.

Sydney needs more bush singletrack, as opposed to boring firetrails. Hopefully it's not a long running disruption.

On a side note, defo worth getting behind efforts to ensure mountain biking is incorporated in the Hornsby Shire's Old Mans Valley recreation plan.

Kitoff

Flow Mountain Bike
This was not what I wanted to read when I received the Council email earlier this afternoon. Humph. Considering the numbers of incidents (guessing it would be a tiny number) vis-a-vis the number of users, it seems a bit of an overreaction..

There has been ONE, that's right, ONE incident reported...and it wasn't even a collision, it was a "near miss"....

DHdreamer

Likes Bikes
There has been ONE, that's right, ONE incident reported...and it wasn't even a collision, it was a "near miss"....
One...sometimes one's enough...isn't that lame? Let's hope rational and considered feedback to Council wins the day.

rangie

Likes Dirt
result ?

Looks promising based on an email I received from a crl, however best to attend meeting in numbers just to be sure :)

-----------
Thank you for your email. I fully understand your objections and concerns to the closure of the track sections at Manly Dam.

What many people don't realise is that the elected Council had nothing to do with the decision. I personally brought the issue up at last Tuesday's Council meeting. The safety board working on all areas of the community made the decision based on safety, liability and the law.

Moving forward, after much researching and communicating, it looks as though we may have found a way to reverse this decision at the Council meeting on the 23rd of February in favour of all mountain bikers!

I ask you to remain patient until then.

Kind regards,
-----------