Manitou Swinger Coil X4 - Any users?

bumpygreen

Rate Cool
Hi All,

Im just chasing some feedback on the Coil X4. If your using one can you let me know how your getting on with it and which bike your using it on?

Cheers,

BG.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
STAY AWAY FROM THE SWINGERS!

they are absolute crap and it will break, much better off getting a fox.

Robb

Likes Dirt
Ah, just saw you post this over on the intense forum on MTBR for a Tracer.
I'm in the same situation as you, I feel I either have it set with a nice amount of sag and it blows through the travel with the RP23 and 36 Talas up front.

Considering either the ISX-6 (it seems to be rated highly on the intense forum?) or DHX air / 5 coil.... Its hard, as its an expensive part to change with unkown results. Let me know how you get on

bumpygreen

Rate Cool
Robb...

Yeah - Its a costly swap out. I would have gone for a CCDB but its a cost I cant justify.

It looks as if a coil may work better with the VP design than the air does however, many of the EUR/US guys are using the ISX-6 like your looking at.

The main reason im leaning towards the coil X4 is due to the lockout.

I'll keep this thread updated as I work out more :D

Whitey89..

Have you got any other info on their crappyness? :confused:

Last edited:

.BP.

Likes Dirt
I used my isx 6 on a glory and it performed very well. Pedaling it was very good but where it realy performed was the small bumps.

I went from a dhx4 to it and can say it was a better ride with the isx 6. Another plus is the high and low speed compression damping.

Also the shock was very good with taking the big hits as well, saying that you could hardly feel the shock bottom out.

I would highly recommend this shock to anyone looking for a rear shock to anything from trail to dh.

bumpygreen

Rate Cool
Thanks .BP.

If its on a Glory im guessing there is/was no lockout option. The Manitou website is still to be updated on this...

.BP.

Likes Dirt
Thanks .BP.

If its on a Glory im guessing there is/was no lockout option. The Manitou website is still to be updated on this...

No lock out on mine. I have a feeling thought there is 2 different damping systems. Mine is the intrinsic one but i think there may have been an spv one.

The spv one may have had lock out but cant be sure.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Robb...

Yeah - Its a costly swap out. I would have gone for a CCDB but its a cost I cant justify.

It looks as if a coil may work better with the VP design than the air does however, many of the EUR/US guys are using the ISX-6 like your looking at.

The main reason im leaning towards the coil X4 is due to the lockout.

I'll keep this thread updated as I work out more :D

Whitey89..

Have you got any other info on their crappyness? :confused:
Yeah sorry to be so blunt... I have heard manitou has redesigned alot of their stuff in recent years. However I used to own a giant DH comp (06) and like many others I had a problem with the 6way. If you look at most 2nd hand DH comps, pretty much all of them will be running a fox.

The rebound went and then the compression, leaked a fair bit of oil and no one would bother touching it (only 1yr old) In the end I turned to fox and have never turned back.

Probably best to ask someone about how the 08 range was, because i think they changed managment in 08 or 09..

i run a 4way swinger on my dh bike, and ive only got it resealed once (forgot to put more air in it) abut other then that, i reckon they are fantastic shocks :p

DownhillerDeano

Doesn't want a custom title!
Although there has been numerous good posts in this thread, I thought I would also have some imput.

I owned a demo 9 many years ago and it came with a 6 way. I thought that was the ducks nuts. I, personally, loved the spv volume and pressure and it was easy for any lamen to understand the adjustments and how adjusting one would effect the others.

I then owned a GT-1 and a stab, both with DHX-5's and I felt that although the fox's 'useability' factors were greater than the manitou (larger 'clickers and knobs compared to small cap screws in the swinger), to me the swinger just seemed smoother in every way throughout it's travel.

Foxes were however easier to work on.

Perhaps it was just my liking for the spv platform? Well in the shocks anyway, never liked it in the forks.

My 2c anyway.