Manitou Swinger 4-way problems

featherplucker

Likes Bikes
hey guys,
just asking for some help with my swinger 4 way. recently it has been EXTREMELY "bobby" ( i thought this could be due to me pumping it up more than usual) so i decided to reduce back to around 90-95 psi ( for dh) yet after i pump the shock back up i release the pump valve and air comes rushing out, now normally a little is normal cause it is whats left in the pump, but when i reinstall the pump the guage registers as 0??? I'm really confused as it has never done this before.
I was wondering whether anybody knows what is wrong or how i can solve this problem??

cheers, benny!

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
First thing to check is that the internals of your valve is not loose. Get a valve key front your lbs or even a servo and tighten the internals of the valve.... Happens a bit and scares the shit out of you the first time thinking you've blown your shock but so so simple to rectify!!

S.

ex offender
Fat_Ride said:
First thing to check is that the internals of your valve is not loose. Get a valve key front your lbs or even a servo and tighten the internals of the valve.... Happens a bit and scares the shit out of you the first time thinking you've blown your shock but so so simple to rectify!!
Yeah, that or the valve core is too long (which is quite common). Extract the valve core from the shock, and trim the knob bit off the end of it (the part you usually press to release pressure, NOT the brass bit at the other end) so the rod is about 1-2mm shorter. This should fix the problem, which is caused by the pump's seals disengaging before the bit that presses on the valve fully releases.

featherplucker

Likes Bikes
ok, thanks heaps for ur help! i went out and got a valve tool and tightened the valve, but i dont think its working, after i had tightened it i pumped it up again, this time when released air still leaves, yet there is now a little bit of air left in the shock chamber ( about 20 psi of original 95). So im a bit confused as to what is going wrong, i did try this a fair few times.
I also bought some new valves so i might try to trim them down and use them, i hope it works! is there anything else that could be going wrong??
thanks heaps for your help!

cheers, benny

lotec

Banned
i would say its because the valve core is too long then.. tightening the valve would have screwed it in so its further away from the pump (hence why you still had SOME air left) but you couldn't screw it in far enough so it still leaks... file it down and you should be right. after you've done that COME FOR A RIDE :)

featherplucker

Likes Bikes
ok then thanks dude, i will try that today, i also have a few (6) spare valves so if a screw up a couple of times im o'rite. Hopefully this will work!
fingers crossed. Oh and yeh i will try to come riding, but these next couple of days r gonna be hectic cause i have to get ready for going o.s.

cheers everybody for ur help!

cheers, benny!