Man Space / Bike Shed Layout

bootsandall

Likes Dirt
Do you weld?

I was considering painting my slab till I saw a mates painted slab with weld burns all over it. Not the best look but not a deal breaker, for me was the need to just getting the space working and to be honest I don't notice it just being a slab.

Seeing as we get sub-0 temps in Canberra, I focused on insulation over paint.

NeoNasty

Likes Dirt
No insulation or ventilation. They're for pussies.
To be honest, after building the house cash was running out. So my criteria was simple, build the biggest shed for the $$$ I had. She's quite basic now but all the fluff can be added later.
Houses are expensive.
I'm going to quote floor paint tomorrow. Anyone gone all out on floor paint?
I painted my floor myself.

It was a previously owned barn and filthy! I high pressure washed it for about 6 hours and then acid scrubbed it. It came up like new.

Then 3 coats of concrete paint from bunnings with some grit thrown in.

It cost me, maybe $400 all up for 9.5*10M barn.

Looks the bees knees and helps keep dust down.

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
Then 3 coats of concrete paint from bunnings with some grit thrown in.

It cost me, maybe $400 all up for 9.5*10M barn.

Looks the bees knees and helps keep dust down.
I would be interested to know how your paving paint stands up.
I did the same in our new garage because I couldn't afford a proper epoxy kit at the time we moved in 7 years ago.
I water blasted and acid washed and then used a couple of coats of grey paving paint - I truly wished I had never touched the floor and saved for a proper epoxy kit.
As of when we moved out after 6 years in April last year I would say 20% of the paint had lifted, almost all of it where car tyres, bike tyres and moto tyres sit on it. You park the car on it, reverse out and the paint sticks to the tyres and rips off the concrete, same goes for MTB or moto tyres. It looks like shit. When you sweep out, as well as dust and dirt you get a pile of paint flakes the size of 10 cent pieces.
And yes it was properly dry - still ripping off the floor after 6 years!!
I even enquired of the manufacturer "Sorry sir, while it is concrete specific out door paving paint it is not designed for parking cars on, just foot traffic" my bad I guess but I wished I had read the can more carefully
Our new house has had the garage tiled - MUCH better idea or epoxy

Last edited:

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ontopic,
theres not good solution for floors,
I used to work in a workshop that a clean floor was a must, we repainted annually,
Unfortuantly I think its been well covered expensive floor coatings are the only way if you want a painted floor

slightly ontopic,
shed insulation, what have you guys used?
Im currently looking at options.
I have a tin shed, about to get lined with 4mm braceply on walls and plaster on roof (just cause its cheaper and white)

Has a window and a whirly bird
so air can move pretty well if needed
Im looking at 3 types of insulation before I line it
thermalbrane or simlar (silver lined foam stuff)
Thermal blanket (silver lined wool)
Spray foam insulation

From what I can tell the thermal blanket will be cheap
the thermalbrane will be easy (but dear)
The spray foam will be quick (and seal any gaps in the tin)

anyone used any of these 3 types of products in a shed.
a mate of mine has also suggested tracking down old coolroom panels and chopping them to fit in the gaps and no more gaps foam in any spaced..

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mine has none, and its an oven in warmer months. Not sure a whirlybird does anything, there's thermostat solar powered fans you can get, something like 20x more effective than a whirlybird​. The only thing I did was a coat of white (ceramic stuff) paint over the gal roof, and to be fair it dropped the temp inside by 6-7deg c in mid summer. Down to a mere 36-37.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid

Neighbor uses this stuff on his driveway and floor. The guy is super fussy and this stuff doesn't lift off with tyres parked on it.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Painted floors can come out well but needs a bit of roughness for the paint to stick and not peel off easily. A painted floor that is smooth can get pretty slippery too, well our does anyhow

----------
Sent with added typos from a tiny mobile keyboard and spellchecker that makes a mess of everything.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Neighbor uses this stuff on his driveway and floor. The guy is super fussy and this stuff doesn't lift off with tyres parked on it.
I prefer my burgers wet...

Not a driveway or garage, but high foot traffic...a few cafes I've worked in have gone for a home job polished concrete look. Rather than the $$$ of professionals in they just brought the 2 pack or water based finishes and rolled them on. One guy said never again, but he had a huge grinding job to prep a very shit house slab first. His (water based I'm pretty sure) appears to wear well with feet and furniture. There is possibly an industrial/heavy duty version of this kind of stuff if you wanted a slick rather than painted finish. Could look good with the mirror ball and big lady hoist all on action together.

NeoNasty

Likes Dirt
I would be interested to know how your paving paint stands up.
I did the same in our new garage because I couldn't afford a proper epoxy kit at the time we moved in 7 years ago.
I water blasted and acid washed and then used a couple of coats of grey paving paint - I truly wished I had never touched the floor and saved for a proper epoxy kit.
As of when we moved out after 6 years in April last year I would say 20% of the paint had lifted, almost all of it where car tyres, bike tyres and moto tyres sit on it. You park the car on it, reverse out and the paint sticks to the tyres and rips off the concrete, same goes for MTB or moto tyres. It looks like shit. When you sweep out, as well as dust and dirt you get a pile of paint flakes the size of 10 cent pieces.
And yes it was properly dry - still ripping off the floor after 6 years!!
I even enquired of the manufacturer "Sorry sir, while it is concrete specific out door paving paint it is not designed for parking cars on, just foot traffic" my bad I guess but I wished I had read the can more carefully
Our new house has had the garage tiled - MUCH better idea or epoxy
The stuff I bought was the Berger in the picture below my original post.

I've been driving on it and parking motos since day 1. As of this month is been 12 months and I've had zero lift spots. Even with spilling oils and radiator coolant on there.

I'd done a few moto wheel spins and it still didn't lift.

*shrugs*

binner

Hath shat hymself
I wish

^^^^^ thats a nice space man, looks like it could be real toastie/warm in winter. Working on yr rigs with a nice straight whiskey.....

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
We better get an invite to the shed warming?
Your name is on the door list but be warned, VB will not be served as said warming

^^^^^ thats a nice space man, looks like it could be real toastie/warm in winter. Working on yr rigs with a nice straight whiskey.....
Won't be specifically cold but it's likely not as warm as it may seem. Where I'm standing is the garage (otherwise know as a car hole) so it's a pretty large space with a concrete floor with brick walls and no ceiling. I'm considering getting some of those radiators that you see in outdoor eating areas fixed to the ceiling if it gets too cold in winter. Will have an idea on that pretty soon, I'd say!

yeah, thats a nice looking setup, is that a kitchenette in the background?
No, just cupboards. Between the left hand side of the pic and the waist high cupboards you can see there's a whole full sized double door pantry/cupboard as well. I would like hot and cold running water in there but the backyard tap is just outside the sliding door and the laundy door just up some stairs. So I don't think I'll bother with the expense of getting water and a basin in there.

The pic is a little deceptive, it's bigger than it looks. The rear wheel of the bikes are not up against the wall, there's about a foot between the wheel and the wall and the front wheel doesn't reach to where the shelves on the right start. That' should give an idea of how big the space actually is.

It will be my bike and brewing space, which I've been craving for for since 2005 (and even then, my lounge room was that space! Ah, the single life). I just have to work out how it will be laid out. Really not sure how to place things but I need a pretty decent sized workbench, something like the bench here, just a little deeper is along the lines that I'd prefer. Also need somewhere for the bike stand and the bike rack. This is the kind of bike rack I have and I'd like to mount it on a wall rather than sit the wheel in it.

Keen to hear any suggestions or thoughts on how to lay the space out.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It begins....
I hope you're keeping those flower stickers?

I'm hurt to see (or not see) your once mighty wooden palette bike stand is gone.

Pop some pulleys in thoee big expose timbers and hang the bikes.

If you're going to brew in there you'll need some Edison lights as well. And a bean bag.

stirk

Burner
My shed is ready for fitout!

First step is sealing the space between the walls and the slab to stop the bugs getting in, leaning toward silicon for this. What have others sealed the floor with?

IMG_20170529_155731721-1336x752.jpg

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Looking good, nice job. Silicon should do just fine. Do the inside and outside borders.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
silicon and expanding foam eventually led to corrosion when i was looking at options for my own garage...

this turned out to be the neatest looking option...

https://shedblog.com.au/retroseal-domestic/
That looks promising, in some photos (https://shedblog.com.au/buy-retroseal-superseal/) the part that goes in the corrugation appears to be plastic clip on, would pay to check it out. If it's run of the mill plastic my ratties would prob go through it eventually. FWIW they also come in through the gaps where the roof meets the sides.