Man Space / Bike Shed Layout

stirk

Burner
I put up a 6x3 shed the other day.

I was surprised how much the concrete slab cost. I did it myself.

I was also amazed to how thin they make the tin. It's nothing more than a shelter. I upgraded the lock, bolted it to the ground and have chained my bikes to the floor with epoxy anchors. I still don't feel great about having the bikes in there.

Best bet is my big dog to keep em safe
What brand? I'm looking at spending up to $4500 for a custom 3x5 with rolla door, access door and two windows, storm rated what ever that means, and that's just the shed, slab estimate is about $1500-$2000. Seems solid enough and no harder to break into than a house.

Cheap Bunnings job is flimsy.

dromana

Squid
What brand? I'm looking at spending up to $4500 for a custom 3x5 with rolla door, access door and two windows, storm rated what ever that means, and that's just the shed, slab estimate is about $1500-$2000. Seems solid enough and no harder to break into than a house.

Steel chief. The shed has a double door and a sky light. It cost $2200 I think. Slab cost about $1800 for the mesh, 6m of concrete, a bull float and hiring a tipper to transfer the concrete for 50m or so meters.
All the bolts do up on the outside. If you wanted to break in, you'd just need to undo the bolts. I puts some brackets one the corners to make it a little harder. Ideally I will put some mesh or rebar on the walls inside.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I got one of these http://www.spanbilt.com.au/catalogue/extra-large-garden-sheds/yardpro-eco-plus-1510 for about $1200 about 4 years ago now. Fairly easy to assemble but the instruction don't follow to the letter and what needs to be done - it gets you close. I'm very happy with it so far. I don't think it would be hard to break into any shed. A thief could easily unbolt a panel with cordless drill or unscrew the lock in record time.

I was looking at concrete slab for it too but fortunately my neighbour is concreter and it isn't worth it if the size is too small and quite a bit of work to do by hand/wheelbarrow.

We used 900mmx900mm concrete tiles and it was easy to lay and came up great. These cost about $800-ish for pallet load from memory from Simons Seconds at Smithfield - http://www.simonsseconds.com.au/ you must go here as they are quite happy to do sharp deals and have pallets of stuff on sale. Highly recommended and the dog that lays in the driveway all day there is apparently the boss and owner of the company :)

True, and they weren't a bargain when I saw them either.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I put up a 6x3 shed the other day.

I was surprised how much the concrete slab cost. I did it myself.

I was also amazed to how thin they make the tin. It's nothing more than a shelter. I upgraded the lock, bolted it to the ground and have chained my bikes to the floor with epoxy anchors. I still don't feel great about having the bikes in there.

Best bet is my big dog to keep em safe
I lived in a bad street in a rough neighborhood.
We've always had a Rottweiler in the backyard. In 10 years there nobody broke into my shed until 1 week after the dog was gone. Luckily all my gear was also gone so there wasn't anything worth stealing.
Just about everyone I knew in the street had been robbed at some stage. Some of them repeatedly.
Big angry looking dogs work.

I recommend a Tibetan Mastiff.

PS. For all those asking, I still don't have a shed. But will soon as we move into our new house next monthish.
Fucking builders.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
No bikes go in my shed.... wife won't allow it. :becky:

Wife and my MTB's are on the wall in the main bedroom. Roadies on the wall in the main hallway. Few bikes on front deck, one on back deck and BMX bikes currently in the roof (have pull down ladder access hatch thing) because it is too hot in summer to kit up for BMX.

Workstand is on the front deck but lighting in shed is better for maintenance.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

Wife and my MTB's are on the wall in the main bedroom. Roadies on the wall in the main hallway. Few bikes on front deck, one on back deck and BMX bikes currently in the roof (have pull down ladder access hatch thing) because it is too hot in summer to kit up for BMX.

How do you strap your wife to the wall? Pics please.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Wrong thread mate, this is about the man space...
Took over half ours years ago, used to be her home office, now have the whole thing...

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Wrong thread mate, this is about the man space...
Took over half ours years ago, used to be her home office, now have the whole thing...
My shit is everywhere although hanging a bike on the wall above the TV was poo pooed. I guess the study where my main PC and various bike bits and pc bits live is my manspace.

The plan if I ever raise my house is to put a proper workshop in downstairs for the bikes which I would also move PC etc. Into., but I cannot be f'd putting up with more renos.

Last edited:

Lazmo

Old and hopeless

Before we built my 6x5 workshop, we had all the bikes in one of the dining areas, and my wife who is a rider was more than happy having them inside... a constant reminder of our mtb rides.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Before we built my 6x5 workshop, we had all the bikes in one of the dining areas, and my wife who is a rider was more than happy having them inside... a constant reminder of our mtb rides.
Wonder I council would let me build a 2 story workshop/home office in backyard where my shed is. 6 x 5 or 7x5 could work.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sweet, looks nice. You've no doubt considered it, but any needs or wants for insulation/wall/concrete covering? Could be my bias, but from inheriting the existing shed I wish I'd done all three before filling it up.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Damn, that is a fine shed. I could live in there.

----------
Sent with added typos from a tiny mobile keyboard and spellchecker that makes a mess of everything.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Sweet, looks nice. You've no doubt considered it, but any needs or wants for insulation/wall/concrete covering? Could be my bias, but from inheriting the existing shed I wish I'd done all three before filling it up.
We sealed the concrete with Bondcrete before everything went in. We are planning to do wall lining and insulation at some point. It's away from the house so we're considering putting in solar, we'll have to do some sort of battery system though. If we do go that way the wall lining will be done after it all gets wired up. It's not going to get too much more full than it is at the moment to make it easy when that time comes.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Noice, I couldn't quite tell. Job well done btw.

Qn for the team, we possibly have a reno-extn on the cards, I'm prob gonna lose the shed (voluntarily as mine sucks) and am thinking of putting the residual stuff and bikes into a shared study room - anyone gone down an indoors man space path with any tips/tricks?

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My workshop corner all setup :cool:

Probably have to fix some drainage issues since some of the bricks are below ground, and I never got around to coating the walls and floor in anything, but I've got a big mat...that'll do....?!

Attachments

link1896

Mr Greenfield
My workshop corner all setup :cool:

Probably have to fix some drainage issues since some of the bricks are below ground, and I never got around to coating the walls and floor in anything, but I've got a big mat...that'll do....?!

plenty of shelving levels to move stuff up on to avoid the rising water level

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
12X6m 3m high. Just a normal tin shed. I did want it a little bigger but we're running out of money as we also built a dwelling for living in.