malvernstar triathlete. 80's roadie

06acrider

Likes Dirt
hey guys just bought myself this old roadie.

all up i have spent a hundred bucks on it and it's running sweet.

rides really nicely.

frame: mid eighties cromo malvernstar triathlete.
forks: cromo heavy arse ones. they weigh nearly as much as the frame.
drivetrain: is all shimano exage sport. with shimano biopace chainrings. there really weird to get used to.
wheels: rear mavic rim and a unknown hub it has sakae bearing covers on it.
front weinmann on the matching hub as the rear.

anyway here are some pics.

http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u61/norco_ryde/roadie/

from this:

to this:

Futile

Likes Bikes and Dirt
IT'S A MALVERN STAR FOR GOD SAKE!!!! WHY BOTHER?
Wouldn't you go and buy a new one from K-Mart instead of spending a hundred bucks getting it fixed?
Apart from that, It actually (suprisingly) looks like a decent bike. Props for bothering to do it up though. I really don't mean to be aragant...

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Wouldn't you go and buy a new one from K-Mart instead of spending a hundred bucks getting it fixed?
Apart from that, It actually (suprisingly) looks like a decent bike. Props for bothering to do it up though. I really don't mean to be aragant...
do you know anything about the history of malvern star mate?

they werent always the crud- once they were the thing to have...and if your lucky youd have one with the star embossed into the fork.

Pete J

loves his dog
Dude, just look at the frame, do you think that it is really that bad??
Just because it's a Malvern Star doesn't mean it's automatically junk.
I reckon it looks great, apart from the chain that is... Get a new one i say.
What do the stickers on the seat tube and fork leg say? Is it a Tange sticker?
Nice work anyway.

06acrider

Likes Dirt
Dude, just look at the frame, do you think that it is really that bad??
Just because it's a Malvern Star doesn't mean it's automatically junk.
I reckon it looks great, apart from the chain that is... Get a new one i say.
What do the stickers on the seat tube and fork leg say? Is it a Tange sticker?
Nice work anyway.

the chain is new it just look rusty but it is naturally that colour.

the seat stay stickers say cr-mo
chrome molydbenum
triple butted tubing.

the ones on the forks and seat tube say dynalloy

and it has a sold and serviced by ray's cycles melbourne sticker on it.

it only cost me $110 to buy the bike and all the new parts.

i got the tyres, bar tape, cables, brake pads, chain. all new for $50. the bike only cost me $60.

the reason i bought this over a hunk of shit new malvernstar is because this is actually a quality built frame that has lasted 22 years and will last a lot more to come.

and i bought it because I like it.

06acrider

Likes Dirt
It actually (suprisingly) looks like a decent bike because it was a decent bike when it was new and still is.

malvernstar were hand made here in melbourne up till the 70's at least.

only there new bikes are pieces of shit.

Customjimmy

Likes Dirt
This one was made in the period where Raleigh owned Malvern Star in the 80s before the brand ended up being owned by Pacific in the early 90s. It's not a museum piece, but it is a much better bike than Kmart has ever stocked. My BSA (same vintage, also owned by Raleigh) now owes me about the same money, and will be going strong long after many cheap bikes bought this year have gone belly-up!

birdie

Likes Dirt
Thats beautiful. Have you named it? I'd name it something wise.. like, like Noah... or Clint :cool:

06acrider

Likes Dirt
wow thats ace!
name-wise i'd call her candy
would like mint as a fixie flat bar road bike :)
not really wanting to convert to fixie as i will be riding lots of k's in hilly areas and i'm not really that fit.

and i just bought it to get fit on and run around on.

not sure what i'll name it.

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
malvern star triathlete

I borrowed my nieghbour's bike this morning - which is also a malvern star triathlete. Nice bike but steeering is very ponderous. I kinda liked it for my daily commute. The running gear is excellent condition and the brakes work better than the Tektro's on my 2005 Giant OCR.

Cool bike.