MAc Ride Early Development Childhood development

wombat

Lives in a hole
I saw this when it first popped up on kickstarter and I reckon its a fantastic idea. I haven't got kids but if I did I'd be all over this thing.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
not a parent myself... but could/would NEVER see myself letting my kid onto the bike like that.... not on an MTB

I cant guarantee not falling/hurting myself.... why risk having your child there.
if you want the kids to ride with you... stick on the foot paths with a trailer/proper seat with belts, until they are old enough to ride themselves --> progress onto the trails

IMO... its just irresponsible to let your kid saddle the TT and go MTB'ing

edit: great design/intentions... just a bad idea IMO
I can already see issues with people running dropper posts (looks like a bike rack adaptor bar design)
Realistically.. what sort of terrain WOULD you ride with the kid on the bike like that?
let us assume you reach a rock garden (entertain me) I can see issues with the wheels catching the kids foot when fork bottoms out when fork isnt straight.

another thing just occurred to me while looking at the pictures.... how do you steer? looks like handlebar movement is severely limited by the foot support?
Calm down everyone.
I personally won't be hitting up Bovine on Mt Joyce with my son on it, but even on his wee-ride we get out into the local fire trails and single track - as well as a fair bit of local road riding. We even did the Brissie to the Bay 25 on the weekend. He loves it. I don't kid myself that it is idiotproof, but I'm not an idiot about it either. I ride slower and take a lot less risks than when I am on my own.
The biggest problem (on the road) is that drivers don't know there is a kid there, and try and sneak past when they shouldn't - they look across and all of a sudden swerve away.
Dropper seatposts are better than a standard as it is easier to put your foot down in technical parts. The crown of my forks (Fox 29er on a Trek superfly) just knocks the foot peg on the way through - Have a look at how much clearance there is between a frame and fork at full compression.
And personally, I try not to move the steering wheel much past 80°, particularly at speed.
I'm not sure I will be getting one of these now, as the use may be limited - my son is over 2 now, and loves his balance bike to bits so he'll probably be out on that more once the 3mo is on the bike.
The wee-ride is great, not sure it is safer or better just because it has a seatbelt though. My 2yo has reached the design limits (foot size / weight / height) on it already.

scblack

Leucocholic
Wow, anyone who really thinks this is dangerous needs to get out more.:tsk:

Who is honestly going to EVER ride with their kid somewhere other than fire-trails, cyclepaths or smooth XC trails? Child can see ahead, you can see how the kid is coping, if you happen to fall you cradle the child, kids feet are clipped in. I see no real problem.

The only thing I would do is add some padding onto the handlebars/stem in case of face plants.

I would have used this for sure when my kids were younger.

Zubanoid

Likes Bikes
not a parent myself... but could/would NEVER see myself letting my kid onto the bike like that.... not on an MTB

I cant guarantee not falling/hurting myself.... why risk having your child there.
if you want the kids to ride with you... stick on the foot paths with a trailer/proper seat with belts, until they are old enough to ride themselves --> progress onto the trails

IMO... its just irresponsible to let your kid saddle the TT and go MTB'ing

edit: great design/intentions... just a bad idea IMO
I can already see issues with people running dropper posts (looks like a bike rack adaptor bar design)
Realistically.. what sort of terrain WOULD you ride with the kid on the bike like that?
let us assume you reach a rock garden (entertain me) I can see issues with the wheels catching the kids foot when fork bottoms out when fork isnt straight.

another thing just occurred to me while looking at the pictures.... how do you steer? looks like handlebar movement is severely limited by the foot support?
^ Wow. I wasn't expecting such a reaction! Take a look at these seats...
bike.jpg

kanga_1.jpg

These are both allowed in Australia... Tell me that having a child strapped into one of these when you crash isn't going to cause damage to a child... No matter what style of bike seat a parent should only ride one trails they are 100% certain they can ride without falling off. If you think this product/seat is implying that you should put one of these on and hurtle down a DH trail then you my friend are wrong. If you, as a parent decided to ride down a rock garden that you were likely to fall off then good luck to you. This is meant for children so they can hold on to the handlebars are experience steering and have some fun rather than looking at a parents ass or be in some capsule completely detached from the bike and the experience. I ride DH and I would not even consider going near a DH trail with my child.

I like it myself and I know my children would love it. I would feel better having them enclosed between my arms than in some capsule or behind me. This seat is also a lot lighter than others which makes it a better balance.

Thanks for your opinions guys but maybe think about it for more than a second or even try thinking at all before reacting and slagging it off. FFS we all ride down dangerous steep trails on our bikes and endanger our own safety for fun but yet you pass judgment on parents wanting to be a little adventurous with our kids! What, are we going to bubble wrap our kids? Why not let our kids experience a little of what we do and teach them how to ride properly so they can be better, safer riders and have fun while doing it!? Don't buy it if you don't think it's safe but don't just go slagging it off the first time you set eyes on it! jeeezzzzzz :/

Here's what Mac Ride have to say about safety: http://www.mac-ride.com/safety-topics/

Zubanoid

Likes Bikes
I can see issues with the wheels catching the kids foot when fork bottoms out when fork isnt straight.
^ WTF dude! When the fork bottoms out! Wow, I have been riding a long time and you have to be doing some serious trails to bottom out the fork! Fark....

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Notice how both of the images you have shown have restraints and a large secure seating platform.........

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Notice how both of the images you have shown have restraints and a large secure seating platform.........
Hmmm kid falling free from bike or being cocooned by parent in a crash, or child staying attached to bike so it's weight is multiplied ten fold resulting in a lot more impact force. At least one leg and both arms are locking the child in at any time.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
^ WTF dude! When the fork bottoms out! Wow, I have been riding a long time and you have to be doing some serious trails to bottom out the fork! Fark....
Especially bottoming out your forks when turning.

Maybe that's how Choppy broke his frame?

kbekus

Likes Dirt
I've had my children on a seat like the last one pictured, so with a bucket style seat + suitable restraint - this is good for when they unexpectedly decide to have a nap mid-ride. I'd give the Macride a go but I'd want to be sure how my child reacts and behaves on something more secure first, I think.

takai

Eats Squid
Im pretty sure Im going to back it, my little guy is 4 months old at the moment, and with a bit of care taken i dont really see it as being any more dangerous than the WeeRide thing. Sure he will probably need to be 2+yo not 1yo to aid with the balance and stuff, but thats ok, means he can come out on some easy fire trail rides as well.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Neat idea. Probably not for me though.

Nanny state comments coming from mountain bikers - fuck the irony on that!

No problems for people who say they wouldn't use it with their child but wtf are the comments with "your" child? How about none of YOUR business?

Sorry for the rant, but do gooders who want to protect others from risk are one of the most annoying aspects of modern Australia .

rone

Eats Squid

No problems for people who say they wouldn't use it with their child but wtf are the comments with "your" child? How about none of YOUR business?

Sorry for the rant, but do gooders who want to protect others from risk are one of the most annoying aspects of modern Australia .

Hear hear.

Zubanoid

Likes Bikes

Agreed!

What an interesting conversation... Really wasn't expecting all this!

DannyAwesome

Likes Bikes
[video=youtube;Qh2sWSVRrmo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2sWSVRrmo[/video]

I have two kids and I'd consider getting something like this, but they're both probably starting to get too big for one. On the other hand they cant ride a bike on their own so I'm looking for some other way to get them out riding with me.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
For those with bigger little kids(sub5),these tag along things work great.
IMG_5053.jpg Scrubs a bit on the 29er wheel over big bumps/rollovers. 26" wheels would be better. I rate the front baby seat for sub 2 year old too.