Ma Ma Creek Sun 5th Aug

Where do we want to start the ride from, how many k's do we want to ride

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SCHOEY

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For anyone that is interested, the XC guys are doing a ride through the Ma Ma creek section of the epic course this Sunday. Depending on where we start the ride will determine what time we have to leave. The plan is to finish the ride at Grantham around lunch, where the bus doing the DH shuttles will pick us up while the DH'ers have there lunch break. We have a couple of options on the ride distance/starting time/ and place of departure.

1. If we leave from the CNR of Ruthven and Nelson sts, it will make the ride approximately 60k's. This may be a little out of some peoples comfort zones. To be at Grantham around midday, i think what we would have to leave around 7am to get there comfortably allowing a little time for flats, a couple of food breaks etc.
  2. If we drive a few cars out to the start of the single track, then ride from there, it would cut approximately 20k's of bitumen out of the ride and we could start the ride a little later (8am?). The only problem i cant see with doing this is the hassle of having to go out and retrieve the cars once the ride is finished.

Your thoughts?

I probably should have a put a 3rd option in the poll for "i don't care either way" which is my thoughts in this case, although the 60k will probably hurt me due lack of time on the bike during the last few months.

So far we have a group including:
  • Ryan Myler
  • Steve Baltzer
  • Jason Scholefield (me)
  • Dave Brodribb
  • Brendan Fea
  • Luke Palmer
  • Jeremy Russ
  • Scott Fry
  • Mike
  • Aaron Haycock????
  • Grant Timms ????

Anyone else interested in coming is more than welcome. Give me a call on 0409625960 if you have any queries.

Last edited:

Luke.

Likes Dirt
Besides the car problem. How long can we have the bus for? Remembering the bus has to travel down to Grantham to pick us up then return to Toowoomba. If it then has to travel back out to the top of ma ma then back to the DH track this would probably take more then an hour. Don't want to piss any of the down hill boys off seeing they're paying the big money and are the reason we have the bus.

Or were we going to car pool the drivers of the cars back out?

SCHOEY

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Luke, I think the cnr of ruthven and nelson would be our meeting point regardless. If we were to drive out, we would only need 2 vehicles for the 8 bodies that have so far guaged interest. On the return trip the bus could drop us off at the cnr of ruthven & nelson, and we would only need to take one car out to get the 2 left out of of town. I talked to Jeremy last night and he said that distance was no issue for him, so if some wanted to ride out to the start of the single track that would be fine too. The others could just meet them there probably an hr after they left town.

v1llage1d1ot

Likes Dirt
Its a fairly easy ride back to ruthven and nelson st from the top of the range... they could just drop us there if time is an issue. I'd be more than happy to take bodies out to pick cars up... but if I need to take people and bikes out there I will only have room for 2 people and 2 bikes... inc me.

itsajoke

Likes Dirt
I've voted for the 60km. As for the car shuttles, if you need to I'll put the rack on the roof and one in the boot. Four bikes and five bodies (tight fit) including me.

Benzy

Likes Dirt
I voted for drive to Ma Ma but as Schoey said earlier, World of pain should be good for me and I figure that there would have to be more down than up on the road there? :confused: (I really have no idea... Wishful thinking?)

There's not even much point me volunteering a car as both don't fit shit.

aaron01

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm a tentative ATM, just getting over the flu & may only have the road & CX bike over the weekend assuming the other isn't finished yet, keen but may need to wait till next time.

Luke.

Likes Dirt
Scotty Fry and Mike have contacted me, they are up for the ride out. The ride out will probably start at 630 as I believe we may need this extra 30 minutes so we don't have to power out the whole way. I will be checking out how light it is tomorrow morning.

Road Rage Ryan

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Luke it is only about 15km from corner of ruthven and nelson. If we take direct road route and no big 20% grade hills we should be able to do it in 1hr comfortably.

SCHOEY

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Luke it is only about 15km from corner of ruthven and nelson. If we take direct road route and no big 20% grade hills we should be able to do it in 1hr comfortably.
Are you going to vote Ryan? it's 50/50 at the moment. Like i have said previously "it doesn't bother me either way", and so far with Lukes tag-a-longs it looks like the 60k is winning.

SCHOEY

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has anyone got a compact enough camera to bring on this mini epic of ours? Mine is too big for my camelbak.

Benzy

Likes Dirt
Im keen to ride, time to put non-smoking to the test. My camera is a chunker as well so no go on that one sorry...

SCHOEY

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get Ready For The Pain

I reckon that the 60k has won. I think if we plan to leave CNR Ruthven and Nelson @7.00am (be there around 6.45) then we will be in Grantham by around noon.

Last year we did about 60k a few times via Ma Ma. We were getting out to the start of the single track by car around 1.30, once back into Withcott by around 5.00 (which was via Grantham), and the other to the base of Flagstone Ck by 5.00-5.30 (via the Himalaya's ;)).

After talking to Mark this afternoon, i plan to get the bus drivers ph number and call when we are an hr or so away from finishing. If we have to wait for a bit for the bus to arrive, we might be albe to have a few bevvies at the Grantham, or even a feed. What do you's think?

Cost will be $10 for shuttle.

v1llage1d1ot

Likes Dirt
Sounds good to me. The Grantham Locals will be in for a bit of a shock... seeing 10 or so dirty mountain bikers in their local watering hole!