m820 saint or ZEE lever to m810 saint caliper

morticus

Likes Dirt
As the title suggests, one of my m810 levers has worn out. The lever doesn't feel smooth any more, and i am all but certain the piston has worn out / the shaft is bent. I am looking for a quick fix, but in saying that am keen to get the more ergonomic updated lever. I can get 2 new Saint levers for about $180 delivered, but then with new hoses etc, looking at probably $240 without even getting them installed or bled. I could just get the rear lever replaced, as the front is still working sweet but I think the difference in feel will do my head in. My other option is going with the ZEE levers, which I can get for $75 for both. Has any one felt the difference between the m820 and Zee levers? Are they just missing the free stroke adjuster, or the reach adjustment as well? On top of blowing out a fork seal, I'm not in a position to swap out for a whole new setup...

Any help / feedback would be greatly appreciated!

plum163

Likes Dirt
I guessing you have tried just servicing the lever? e.i. Pulling it to bits give it a good clean and putting it back together. There is not much to the levers. They are pretty easy to get back together if they are not to bent.
If you want to replace the levers, I would replace them both with the Saint Levers. You probably can save some cash and keep the same brake lines if they are in good nick.

morticus

Likes Dirt
Cheers Plum, after reading countless threads on how inconsistent the new m820 brakes are I bit the bullet and thought its worth a crack anyway. Im still certain there is a thousand avid loving trolls out there...

Aussie_Ryder

Likes Dirt
I have a brand new set of M810 levers in my spares kit that I have no use for since selling the big bike. I was going to post in the sale yard for $50 if you're interested.

morticus

Likes Dirt
I have a brand new set of M810 levers in my spares kit that I have no use for since selling the big bike. I was going to post in the sale yard for $50 if you're interested.
Cheers Aussie, but keen to get these new levers, they look and feel a lot better than the m810, lets just hope they work as well!

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
As far as i have heard all the problems with the shimano brakes have been caliper based rather than the lever. But i will second what you said, the M820 Saint levers are soooooo much more comfy than any other lever i have ever felt.

blurred

Likes Bikes
I've heard a lot about these apparent probs with the m820 saint gear, and I can't work out what they're going on about. I've got zee brakes on my dh rig and the only probs I've had were after a year on the bike, including a month at whistler, without a bleed. Had trouble getting the pistons in the rear to return inside the caliper, but once cleaned and lubed they are fine. Just for reference, the zee gear uses the same caliper and lines as saint.

All the new shimano brakes use the new high power hose, which is a larger size than the previous generations. So unfortunately m810 and m820 won't match up.

tasdisco

Likes Bikes
Hi there,
Did this exact mod a few months ago, and love it!!

However, I initially used the old brake lines, with the new silver nipple and they felt soft and mushy.
Put the new 820 brake lines on (the ones with the gold banjo thingy) and am now very happy with the results!

Let me know if I can give more info!

morticus

Likes Dirt
I will be running the m810 hose for a bit until I put another order in online and I will get new hoses then. A seasoned bike mechanic spent about an hour trying to get this rear brake feeling right, and he still wasn't happy with it when we called it quits. From what I can tell, there are a few nooks and crannies inside the m810 levers where stubborn air bubbles can hide. Everyone I personally know that runs m820 saints has been stoked with them, its only reading through a million threads that you begin to hear about inconsistent bite points / total loss of brakes sometimes. Will get it all sorted and let you guys know if I have any issues...

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Hi there,
Did this exact mod a few months ago, and love it!!

However, I initially used the old brake lines, with the new silver nipple and they felt soft and mushy.
Put the new 820 brake lines on (the ones with the gold banjo thingy) and am now very happy with the results!

Let me know if I can give more info!
Is it possible to do this with an M775 / M800 / whatever other model is the same calliper? As in M820 levers to the M775 calliper? If it is possible what parts would be needed?

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
I've got a set of 775 levers on 800 calipers. Gave a mate a set of my 785 levers to run on his 810 calipers. Both bonza, I think it's only the 820 that have different hose etc.

wkkie

I've got a set of 775 levers on 800 calipers. Gave a mate a set of my 785 levers to run on his 810 calipers. Both bonza, I think it's only the 820 that have different hose etc.
Yep, the 775 (XT) and the 800 (Saint) callipers are the same thing, just different name written on them, so I knew they would work together, I have both sets.

The only reason I asked the above is that the hoses I have on the XT set are too long and almost split. They're on the hardtail which I'm running the 9 speed clutched, so it has the SRAM shifter, and the combination of the funny long XT M775 lever and the SRAM X9 shifter, means that the shifter has to sit at a really awkward angle which makes it hard to change gears easily without almost taking my hand off the grip.

Yep, I've tried running the shifter on the inside and outside of the brake lever and the only way I can get it close is outside the lever, but it's just too awkward.

Looks to me that the design of the M775 lever is fatter near the clamp because of the way the reservoir goes out from the bars. The M820 levers look like they wouldn't be as fat near the bars, so ergonomically they'd be better for my situation. And since I need to change the hoses anyway, I thought I might give the new levers as go as well, that is if it's possible to go the new hoses with the new levers with the old calliper.....

wkkie

Yes, you're right, my mistake. They all use the same pads, that's what I was thinking.

I guess what I'd like to know is if it's possible to have the M775 caliper with the M820 lever?

moorey

call me Mia
Hose is different diameter, I believe, but I believe you just use the silver compression olives and barb instead of the brass.

Happy to to be corrected on that though.

ChopSticks

Banned
Yes, you're right, my mistake. They all use the same pads, that's what I was thinking.

I guess what I'd like to know is if it's possible to have the M775 caliper with the M820 lever?

not sure if it applies to the old xt callipers and new saint levers.....

but people have reported issues where the saint lever would push too much oil into non saint callipers due to saint callipers being 4 pot.

I run XTR trail levers to saint callipers and hoses..without any issues though.

I suggest you save the trouble and just buy new complete brakeset and sell what bits you have

morticus

Likes Dirt
so the brass olive / insert wont fit into the m820 lever? I have to buy the silver ones? Still using m810 hoses...

wkkie

took a photo of them side by side....

the 820 uses the silver 'hi-flow' insert/barb with the BH90 hose
Is that only for the lever end? Or is there a matching hi flow for the caliper end as well? And if so, is that only for the newer hoses, or specific to the caliper, if that made sense?