VIC Lysterfield Park

Timbot

Likes Dirt
I absolutely disagree and having worked with the PV people out there, proper planning makes things just as doable. Any assertion that being disallowed from operating chainsaws as an excuse for not being able to do good trailwork is a fallacy.
If there's a fallen tree that's blocking a trail, inform the guys at Trailmix; worst case, bring it up with Parks - Bree is usually out there with the chainsaw when we've had organised working bees in the past, and I know she and/or John are out there semi-regularly cutting up other fallen trees which happen quite frequently.

And as for complaints that they act as speed bumps, frankly that's actually a desired trait at Lysterfield. If you want to ride trails that allow you to bomb down them at 600km/h, please, go do it elsewhere. Lysterfield is not the venue for that kind of behavior. Controlling speed is an important aspect of trail use and development at Lysterfield.
Pfft.Its like banging your head against a brick wall talking and trying to make suggestions as to how to improve Lysterfield.While the rest of us evolve and improve our trails ,Lysty Goes to shit...Yer ,dozens of logs over the track are awesome.All you have to do to see this is ride any good bike park .(insert massive sarcastic tone)..Over and out.

steve265

Squid
All,
All who believe that they can help make Lystefield a better park to ride please become a member of LDTR and lend a hand to make this a reality.

When
Saturday 8th May 2010: 8am - 12.30pm (trail building) meet at Trailmix 8am
Please advise if you are available to lend a hand.
www.lysterfieldmtb.com

Thanks Olly ( LDTR Member)
Hey Olly,

I'd love to come out and swing on a shovel.

I'll hopefully be there at 8 to help with the trail building.

Cheers,

Steve

Derek Yates

Soul Rider
New Trail Mods

Hey,

I'm a little bummed about the removal of the little log rollover that has been on that section of trail for years. The small new rock pile doesn't do much to replace it. I am pretty happy to see the new berms so it will be cool to help out with those.

Catch you all on Sat.

Cheers,

Derek

Olly76

Likes Dirt
Lysterfield Trail Building

All

Thanks for everyones interest in our first offical Trail Building at Lysty, we will be starting around 8am at the new berms just above the Dam wall and probably finish around 2pm. We will have a BBQ lunch ( nice and simple ) around 11am.

People to come and go as time allows as we all have familys or other things to do on our weekends and appreciate any help that we can get.

I have got a mini digger organised so hopefully this will make life a little easier.

Hope to see you Sat.

Olly

Club LDTR
Building, Riding & Advocating

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
All

Thanks for everyones interest in our first offical Trail Building at Lysty, we will be starting around 8am at the new berms just above the Dam wall and probably finish around 2pm. We will have a BBQ lunch ( nice and simple ) around 11am.

Hope to see you Sat.

Olly

Club LDTR
So Olly, Is this new club now responsible for the maintenance and further development of the area? Has there been a shift in power and responsibility? What has happened to ClubFGP and or PV in this picture? Maybe this is actually really what Lysty needed. I'm pleased to hear things are progressing out there.

And as far as some of the crap being spoken about logs/trees across trails being a good thing, desired trait, learn to bunny hop etc, what a crock of shite. Some of them are fine, nothing wrong with the odd one here and there to add to the technicality but the majority are not. It's just pure laziness and poor maintenance as too why they're there, do you see that at Forrest, Wombat, Youies etc??? No, you don't. I was out there with a relatively inexperienced rider who got his timing wrong lofting his front wheel, went over the hangers, knocked himself out cold and completely lost all his confidence. They are a hazard and not a feature, clean the tracks up, there are way better methods for controlling speed and traffic.

Last edited:

OT

Likes Dirt
... learn to bunny hop etc, what a crock of shite..
What's wrong with learning to bunnyhop? It's a skill needed to get over trail obstacles cleanly. I agree you don't want logs every 10 metres but 10 or so spread out over 20ks isn't that big a deal. Lysterfield is pretty much flat with a lot of areas that don't flow well, a few logs doesn't make much of a difference. I haven't ridden at lysterfield in over a year, rather go somewhere more interesting, has there been a huge increase in fallen trees?

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What's wrong with learning to bunnyhop? It's a skill needed to get over trail obstacles cleanly. I agree you don't want logs every 10 metres but 10 or so spread out over 20ks isn't that big a deal. Lysterfield is pretty much flat with a lot of areas that don't flow well, a few logs doesn't make much of a difference. I haven't ridden at lysterfield in over a year, rather go somewhere more interesting, has there been a huge increase in fallen trees?
OT, my point is more related to the fact that when a tree falls there seems to be more enthusiasm to make an "obstacle" out of it rather than clear it completely, it's just another case of poor trail maintenance. And without sounding like a knob, the people who you're telling to learn to bunnyhop are experienced riders/racers and very competent in the art of the mono/bunny hop.

OT

Likes Dirt
Do the majority of lysterfield riders like the style of the trails there? If they didn't wouldn't they just go somewhere else? I'd rather go for a ride on my road bike than drive out to lysterfield for a xc ride, but if the majority like that style of trail is it right for me to say to change it? I don't think so. Sustainability and the way they are built is a different issue and needs addressing.

I hope the new club does well and they get to build the type of trails they like to ride.

OT

Likes Dirt
OT, my point is more related to the fact that when a tree falls there seems to be more enthusiasm to make an "obstacle" out of it rather than clear it completely, it's just another case of poor trail maintenance. And without sounding like a knob, the people who you're telling to learn to bunnyhop are experienced riders/racers and very competent in the art of the mono/bunny hop.
I wasn't implying that you personally can't bunny hop, just pointing out that it's a skill needed in many situations, not just for getting over a log, that makes riding a lot more fun. Even those who are learning and can't bunny hop are still learning how to loft there front wheel and unweight the rear to get over the logs, it gives them a better feel for the bike and weight transfer. Your right though, too many and it becomes ridiculous.

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
The idea of the new club is to get all the people who ride there to get together and create the trails that "we" want;

It would be great to get some input of what log you guys think should go!
and input on what you guys think can improve Lysty in the best way possible

LDTR (lysterfield District Trail Riders) is just a club that is about providing a group that can help unite all the riders that ride there often not to exclude anyone/or any other club

If any one has concrete and achievable idea's, they should go to lysterfieldmtb.com and discuss them. there are at this stage a small band of people that are going to start trail building this weekend. All the help that can be provided would be fantastic.

Obviously there is much to do and we have just started. It would be great to see a big turn out!

Olly76

Likes Dirt
Trailer

All,

If anyone owns a trailer coming along to Sat ( 8th May ) Trail building at Lysty can they please bring it along to shift some rock from behind the dam wall to trail we are maintaining.

Please repsond so we know that we will have at least 1 trailer.

Cheers

Olly

monc

Likes Dirt
I'll try and be there on Sat, probably a little later than 8am.

I am wondering though about how this new club is working the Trailmix people to co-ordinate trail maintenance/planning. I would hope that it is co-ordinated, and that there is a 'grand plan' as it's pretty obvious that the last thing Lysterfield needs is several groups with conflicting strategies, especially given how hard it is to get people to show up to trail maintenance days.

This may be clear to those in the know, but the rest of us its a bit of a mystery.

Olly76

Likes Dirt
I'll try and be there on Sat, probably a little later than 8am.

I am wondering though about how this new club is working the Trailmix people to co-ordinate trail maintenance/planning. I would hope that it is co-ordinated, and that there is a 'grand plan' as it's pretty obvious that the last thing Lysterfield needs is several groups with conflicting strategies, especially given how hard it is to get people to show up to trail maintenance days.

This may be clear to those in the know, but the rest of us its a bit of a mystery.
Club LDTR has taken over the full responsibility of Trail maintenance in conjuction with Parks Victoria. Trailmix and Parks Victoria are sponsors of the club and we are getting their full support to run maintenance and trail building days, big thanks to Trailmix though who are still helping out in the early stages getting things planned and showing us the way forward.

Immediate works on the trail network will be routine maintenance until a complete plan (planned for Mid Year) of the trail network is completed. Our grand plan as such is to re-build current tracks and create a more diverse trail network built to IMBA standards. The most important point is that we have the full support of Parks Vic which is supporting our plans and financing them.

Club LDTR is not a race club and is the first IMBA club that has been started to Advocate and build better Mountain bike facilities in the region. We hope to bring all local clubs together so the MTB voice can be heard as a combined voice.

If you are not a member of MTB club I urge you to join club LDTR so we can get some momentum and build some awesome trails at Lysty. All materials and tools that we are using including excavators are being donated by our current members. So the more memebers we have and come along to build days the better the trails we can build.

Cheers Olly

LDTR

Lard

Likes Dirt
Do FGP donate any money to the club? Surely some proceeds from their events should go towards maintaining the park they profit from?

TMLS1

Likes Dirt
Do FGP donate any money to the club? Surely some proceeds from their events should go towards maintaining the park they profit from?
I've thought about this before and came up with the conclusion that they (FGP), Trailmix etc are probably the only ones contributing with limited resources to the actual place. An article in one of the mags recently had the guy from the MTB show saying how everyone should be involved in trail advocacy or they are just leeches. We all have busy lives and organized, communicated building days help. I'll be there tomorrow for admittedly the first time, I like what's going on now and happy to be a part of it.

The other conclusion was that there are a lot of other groups, clubs, paid for courses running all the time out there which would need to contribute if this was the case. Now other clubs hopefully maintain their local area, so Lysterfield riders will now do the same.

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Club LDTR has taken over the full responsibility of Trail maintenance in conjuction with Parks Victoria. Trailmix and Parks Victoria are sponsors of the club and we are getting their full support to run maintenance and trail building days, big thanks to Trailmix though who are still helping out in the early stages getting things planned and showing us the way forward.

Immediate works on the trail network will be routine maintenance until a complete plan (planned for Mid Year) of the trail network is completed. Our grand plan as such is to re-build current tracks and create a more diverse trail network built to IMBA standards. The most important point is that we have the full support of Parks Vic which is supporting our plans and financing them.
Sounds like some exciting times ahead Olly. Great to hear things are moving in the right direction for the area, that joint has so much potential and really should be the jewel in the crown of MTB in Melbourne.