Lyrik Coil reducing travel by itself on bumpy rides

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
I have a new Lyrik coil fork, if I set the travel to 160mm sometimes it will wind itself down to 145-150mm travel on bumpy tracks (I.e. Thredbo in this case). Any suggestions? Generally the knob will actually turn itself a few clicks, up to one full revolution in one case, but no more. The fork is brand new, could be a case of wearing or bedding in, or should I take it back.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I had a new set of Lyrics last year and they never did anything like that. As much of a pain in the ass it will be, I'd take them back and get a new set.

rstwosix

Likes Dirt
I may have the answer to your problem. I assume you are talking U Turn. If you remove the U Turn adjuster knob you will find ball bearings sitting above little holes with springs underneath. Sometimes only 3 balls are fitted. These balls detirmine how stiff the knob is to turn. You can fit another 2 to 3 balls and springs to stop the U Turn winding too easily. You can buy these from NS Dynamics Suspension. Tell them Rodney (Moruya Bicycles) sent you!

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
I may have the answer to your problem. I assume you are talking U Turn. If you remove the U Turn adjuster knob you will find ball bearings sitting above little holes with springs underneath. Sometimes only 3 balls are fitted. These balls detirmine how stiff the knob is to turn. You can fit another 2 to 3 balls and springs to stop the U Turn winding too easily. You can buy these from NS Dynamics Suspension. Tell them Rodney (Moruya Bicycles) sent you!
Cheers mate, are they only fitted with 3 balls from RS factory, or do LBS's sometimes do this? I assume it's factory as I think it's pretty much plug and play for the LBS? Other than cutting down the steerer.

Shoryuken

Likes Dirt
I second this could be a reason for the play, tho ive rode without the knob once and it never moved itself. Maybe test this by trapping up the U-Turn knob with a crap load of gaff tape or something.

Something else you could check is the bolt at the base of the Spring leg. If its not tight it could be rotating as you ride.
This means your spring is rotating, therefore changing travel. Ive noticed that when im putting the fork back together after a rebuild if the bolt doesnt bite onto the lower leg but does with the spring, im basically just "U-Turning" the spring, except from the bottom of the fork.

If its not the upper knob, Id say its the lower bolt. If its none of them, then its internal. And take it back for a replacement (spring or whole thing). The only part left would be the spring its self. Something is wrong with it. Such as how it attaches to the knob or to the lower rod thingy. The spring is a pretty simple part, but i could imagine it becoming loose from the knob.
Saying that, i have 4 U Turn Springs (2 for a Pike) and have not experienced this. And i ride my Lyrik aggressively.
Its a Great fork!

Cheers mate, are they only fitted with 3 balls from RS factory, or do LBS's sometimes do this? I assume it's factory as I think it's pretty much plug and play for the LBS? Other than cutting down the steerer.
Ya 3 balls are factory stock. Also has 3 tiny spring under the balls.... dont let them bounce away :p

Last edited:

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had the same with my old pikes.
Just tighten up the 2.5mm screw that holds on the U-turn knob. You can get this pretty tight, and still have the knob turn and click, and it won't change height without your permission. (The inside of the top cap does wear a bit more, but I hardly used my u-turn, so didn't care)
No point adding more springs and bb's when the fix is so obvious!
*And add some locktite to the threads of said 2.5mm screw so it doesn't come undone either.

Last edited:

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Seems as though this problem is much less common than on an air fork, I will need to take it in by the looks of it... I might just keep using it for the meantime and see how it goes.