Lumbar back braces

Morgan123

Likes Dirt
Over the last few years i've hurt my lower back 5-6 times and being at the very start of hopefully a long career in Construction I thought it wise to invest in a quality back brace. Before anyone says it I know that overuse of a back brace can lead to an even weaker back/core so I'd only be using it for the extremely trying times such as carrying materials and what not. The main problem I have is that if I do injure my back I can't really afford to take extensive time off or even doing just light duties. I've tried using google but the amount of different brands and styles is endless and hoping someone might have a better idea.

While I'm not looking to spend too much I'm not after your typical $15.00 wrap. If it's going to save my back for another 10 years I'm more then happy to spend up on it.

I've heard good things about this, but other then that I've no idea.

http://www.bioskin.com/bio-skin-braces-and-supports/back-braces-and-support/baja-627.html

dontfeelcold

Likes Dirt
While I can't recommend a back brace, I will suggest a few things.

1) Don't let money dictate what you get. Price doesn't always indicate a product that will do the job properly.

2) Understand how your body is meant to move and apply it in day to day life. All the information is available on the internet, its takes a while to get all the pieces together and sieve through all the crap.

3) Yes, a weight belt/back brace is an aid, so only use it when you need to until you become strong enough not to need it. Also, you should still strive to maintain posture even while wearing the brace.

faulko

Likes Dirt
Over the last few years i've hurt my lower back 5-6 times and being at the very start of hopefully a long career in Construction I thought it wise to invest in a quality back brace. Before anyone says it I know that overuse of a back brace can lead to an even weaker back/core so I'd only be using it for the extremely trying times such as carrying materials and what not. The main problem I have is that if I do injure my back I can't really afford to take extensive time off or even doing just light duties. I've tried using google but the amount of different brands and styles is endless and hoping someone might have a better idea.

While I'm not looking to spend too much I'm not after your typical $15.00 wrap. If it's going to save my back for another 10 years I'm more then happy to spend up on it.

I've heard good things about this, but other then that I've no idea.

http://www.bioskin.com/bio-skin-braces-and-supports/back-braces-and-support/baja-627.html

Mate in all honesty get yourself looked at first, take it from me 15yrs bad back and not going anywhere, im stuck with it.

Find a decent chiro have an xray as a starting point, no point supporting or trying to support something that's already bent or misaligned.

Get straight, adjust as needed then prevent.

I never did get checked properly and i regret it almost everyday.

schwing

Likes Dirt
I really dont KNOW - but here's they way I see it.
If a brace helps initial healing, allows inflammation to subside - go for it.
I think though longterm use would see a loss of supporting functional muscle and core strength.
I've seen it with people wearing knee guards too much.
See a physio or my preference an Osteo for advice and a rehab plan

tugboat

Squid
I have been a long term sufferer of the bulged disc in my lumber and spent many sessions on the osteo table.
For the past 6 mths I have been using a Thermoskin lumber support and would recommend it when doing lifting work. My osteo (who is a genius) says it works in three ways.
1 keeps the area warm which actually prevents injury
2 makes you conscious of the muscle movement in that area of the back - this is strange but true
3 it offers a small amount of support.

learn some stretches too as this can really help.

Anyway my back has never felt better

I have been a long term sufferer of the bulged disc in my lumber and spent many sessions on the osteo table.
For the past 6 mths I have been using a Thermoskin lumber support and would recommend it when doing lifting work. My osteo (who is a genius) says it works in three ways.
1 keeps the area warm which actually prevents injury
2 makes you conscious of the muscle movement in that area of the back - this is strange but true
3 it offers a small amount of support.

learn some stretches too as this can really help.

Anyway my back has never felt better

+1 for the thermoskin. I get lower back ache from time to time. Just seems to come and go as it pleases buggered if I know the cause but I know the thermo helps getting warmed up in the morning and keeps you conscious of your posture. Coming from 20yrs as a landscaper the best advice I can give you is keep a straight back and bend your knees. Enjoy.