Low Price (or free dirt in melbourne)

Rian

Likes Dirt
Me and 4 of my mates are building dirt jumps at my joint and we have 4 jumps, but we just cbf digging because you dig about 30cm and you hit clay. Anyway, we were thinking of getting some dirt delivered to my house. My mate said something about landfill and how people try to get rid of it. So I was wondering, what would I have to do, to get some dirt delivered to my place?

Thanks Heeps :)

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And you dont want to use clay beacuse? Not sure what it's like in Melbourne , but most local papers in Sydney advertise clean fill, often for free. That or call up a big construction company...

Rian

Likes Dirt
And you dont want to use clay beacuse? Not sure what it's like in Melbourne , but most local papers in Sydney advertise clean fill, often for free. That or call up a big construction company...

Clay... Because I can't be bothered digging it.
And this clay, is mixed with rocks and roots.
It's terrible. but yeah thanks for your help about the local paper.
I'll take a look now.

STPROXPEOPLESSOX

Likes Bikes
clay is goood dont know why you wouldnt but any way, my mate just got heaps ofdirt by going up to a house block and asking if he could have the dirt out of this block and he got 10 truck loads it was a fair bt i suggest you do something down that track.......
cheers mate
Hope it works for ya:D

cameron_15

Eats Squid
its almost as good as farkin. i got 70 truckloads of dirt off it a few months back and am currently in the process of building some jumps in my backyard. i have one line, its kind of small though. a second line will be going in in a couple of weeks.

put an ad up on the site, you'll get more responses.

cheers.

Jimass

Eats Squid
SEVENTY TRUCK LOADS. Your one crazy kid. Can't wait to get up to yours at your next ride slash build day.

RONEY

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you could post something in your local paper or even flyers at your local store just saying something like, landfill wanted, delivered preferably or pick up,

jburge

Likes Bikes
People are also looking to get rid of dirt when they dig holes for inground pools.
So you could try asking one of those companies.

orsk

Squid
Just for those of you asking about why you wouldn't use the clay, Here is the answer.

I live in warrandyte which is quite close. The problem is its not actually clay. The ground is primarily made up of shale, which basically is compressed clay and mudstone, it is extremely hard to dig if you are doing it by hand, it will chip and shatter off but it takes along time and alot of hard chiseling to get into. The other problem lies in that it sits right at the surface, your usually looking at less then a foot of top soil. I own a landscaping company and its a pain in the ass if you need to dig into it by hand. My suggestion if you do want to dig is to hire a bobcat.

cameron_15

Eats Squid
Just for those of you asking about why you wouldn't use the clay, Here is the answer.

I live in warrandyte which is quite close. The problem is its not actually clay. The ground is primarily made up of shale, which basically is compressed clay and mudstone, it is extremely hard to dig if you are doing it by hand, it will chip and shatter off but it takes along time and alot of hard chiseling to get into. The other problem lies in that it sits right at the surface, your usually looking at less then a foot of top soil. I own a landscaping company and its a pain in the ass if you need to dig into it by hand. My suggestion if you do want to dig is to hire a bobcat.
yep, i live in research / north warrandyte and during my experiences of building trails i have found this out. i usually get about a foot to two feet down before it turns really hard. each hit with a matick only takes out a couple of centimeters. its real hard work. and then there are rocks...

anyway, even if you get the dirt out it is really lumpy and isn't really ideal for building trails with. you have to smash each little bit with a shovel to crush it all up.