Loose nipple in EX823

NSR

Likes Dirt
I have an EX 823 laced to a Hadley I recently got built up, but there's a loose nipple rattling around and neither I nor my mechanic can get it out, and the noise is starting to annoy me. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it out?

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have an EX 823 laced to a Hadley I recently got built up, but there's a loose nipple rattling around and neither I nor my mechanic can get it out, and the noise is starting to annoy me. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it out?
sure its a nipple??
could it just be the join in the rim/??

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Happened to an old pair of 729's. Flakes of metal started coming off and rolling around inside the rim. Got them out my rattling them down to valve hole, then gently banging it on the floor to get them to sit ontop of the valve hole then used to long-nosed pliers to pull them out.

0psi

Eats Squid
Shouldn't this thread be titled "Oh god nipple is stuck"?

Shake it down to the valve hole and use circlip pliers or a bit of blu tack on some wire to fish it out.

Otherwise try boiling water and an oxy torch. . . .

sedifus

Likes Dirt
I just keep the open valve hole at the bottom and shake. May take a while but it does work.

If you wanted to be fancy you might be able to use a magnet to pull it to the valve hole...

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Magnet wont help.
nipples are either brass alloy or Ti all are non ferrous

Best way forward would be take the tube out. shake it down to the tube hole and use a bamboo skewer with bluetack to stick it, if you cant get it to fall out.

NSR

Likes Dirt
Magnet wont help.
nipples are either brass alloy or Ti all are non ferrous

Best way forward would be take the tube out. shake it down to the tube hole and use a bamboo skewer with bluetack to stick it, if you cant get it to fall out.
For some reason, I had this silly idea that nipples were stainless.
I have moved it a little bit, but the ridges on the inside of the rim are making it very difficult to move it.

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
find where its stuck, as in which spokes its between, drop out 1 spoke and pull it through the spoke hole

charlieking97

Likes Dirt
Might sound stupid, and you probanly already thought of it. But if not, you might have to take off the rim tape, if you have any on that is. It could be stuck to the tape where the nipple holes are

Last edited:

Sam.

Eats Squid
Not sure how the wheel builder could drop a nipple into an 823 considering they're a UST rim? You thread the nipple onto the spoke and then thread the insert into the rim to build those suckers up, not drop the nipple through the top of the rim like a conventional wheel. You sure it definitely is a nipple? If it is it shouldn't be too much of a hassle, locate the nipple (or whatever else is rattling) turn it to the bottom of the wheel, unscrew the lower most insert and it should just drop out without much fuss. The holes are way bigger than a nipple so you shouldn't have any issues retrieving it.

0psi

Eats Squid
Might sound stupid, and you probanly already thought of it. But if not, you might have to take off the rim tape, if you have any on that is. It could be stuck to the tape where the nipple holes are
UST rim man, no rim tape.

Have you tried hacksawing the rim in half? But seriously, blutack.

rone

Eats Squid
I had a Mavic rim recently that had the internal strengthening sleeve that beefs up the weld come loose and start rattling around causing a similar problem. No chance you'll get it out if it's that. Locate what and where, then a couple of squirts of tarzan grip, shake and enjoy the silence. Not ideal, but should do the trick.

NSR

Likes Dirt
I had a Mavic rim recently that had the internal strengthening sleeve that beefs up the weld come loose and start rattling around causing a similar problem. No chance you'll get it out if it's that. Locate what and where, then a couple of squirts of tarzan grip, shake and enjoy the silence. Not ideal, but should do the trick.
If it comes down to it, I'll probably have to do something like this.

It's definitely a nipple guys. My mechanic must have been messing around or something, but he did drop a nipple in there (and also, the rims fairly new).

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If it comes down to it, I'll probably have to do something like this.

It's definitely a nipple guys. My mechanic must have been messing around or something, but he did drop a nipple in there (and also, the rims fairly new).
but as someone else said. if its a UST rim. how can you drop a nipple in there?