Looking into racing :P

FoxXx

Likes Bikes
Ahoy there people

Well down to business, i have been riding downhill for about a year now and im really keen on getting into racing :D in the sunshine series (being in QLD)

Except the only problem is i dont know very much about them :(

Stuff like getting race license, what to do when ur at a race what happens and so on so forth, its rather scary to me lol

So i was wondering with the mass of wisdom zooming around on farking you might be able to shed some light on the world of racing for me, so i can jump on the band wagon :D

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey mate - good move. I too had been riding for quite a while before I started racing, and it was the best change I'd had in a long time. You'll meet new people and your riding will go to the next level as well.

Two Wheel Promotions (TWP), http://www.twowheelpromotions.com.au/home/index.php, runs the organising and the timing of the Sunshine Series in conjunction with the given host club. Jump on their website and click on the link to the Sunshine Series on the left of the screen. I could go on, but basically all the info you need is on that page and contained in the links at the bottom of it; like Race Details and Entry Forms (age groups and stuff like that), Location Maps and any other important info on delays/postponements and the like.

The next race is Illinbah, Gold Coast on the 13th/14th June (Saturday practice, Sunday practice & racing). Lucky for you it's one of the best tracks in the country, so get in a race it. This race was delayed from the original date due to heavy rain, as the track is a nightmare [/fun] when wet.

Just make sure you check the dates of the races and get in a least a week early to register on the TWP site as places are limited (sometimes rego isn't open a full week ahead, but keep an eye on it).

As far as racing licence goes - you CAN get 'day licences', which you declare when you register via a tick box on the TWP website rego form. When you do this, it costs you $15 for the 2 days of practice and racing over the top of whatever the entry fee is. While it is an awesome facility to provide 'day licences', it's best that you join a club to support riding in your local area. Long story short, 'day licences' money go to MTBA which is the governing body of MTB here in Oz, but if you join a club, some of your membership fees go back into the club and the development of tracks/riders/facilities.... South side Brisbane have the 'Rats' club, there is 'Gap Creek Cycling Club' over in the west so there are plenty around... call you LBS and they will be able to recommend one to you. If you're under 18 you need you parent/guardian to sign the forms, so if they are not coming with you to the race, make sure they do it BEFORE you leave home, otherwise you probably won't be allowed to race.

Other than that - make sure you have some transport to the racing organised and be prepared to stay overnight in a tent if you have to travel far. Most venues have a caravan park nearby for showers and shit like that. There is always good food and drink available at races and practice usually gets stopped for an hour so everyone can get some food & drink in on Saturday and practice stops and hour before racing starts on Sundays for the same reason (and to check the track over). You need to get at least 1 practice run in before the race, so they latest I would suggest rocking up on a Sunday is 9am. By the time you get your shit together (10:00am, who doesn't take an hour???), shuttle up and do a run it could well be 11:00am (when practice stops usually).

If you haven't raced before, do a search on Farkin/Rotorburn for racing etiquette, as it will help you understand riding/racing with others on the day. Ahhh, stuff it, I just found it for you:

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44791&highlight=DH+etiquette

Don't take it too seriously and relax...

Last edited:

Reece.

Likes Dirt
Hey mate - good move. I too had been riding for quite a while before I started racing, and it was the best change I'd had in a long time. You'll meet new people and your riding will go to the next level as well.

Two Wheel Promotions (TWP), http://www.twowheelpromotions.com.au/home/index.php, runs the organising and the timing of the Sunshine Series in conjunction with the given host club. Jump on their website and click on the link to the Sunshine Series on the left of the screen. I could go on, but basically all the info you need is on that page and contained in the links at the bottom of it; like Race Details and Entry Forms (age groups and stuff like that), Location Maps and any other important info on delays/postponements and the like.

The next race is Illinbah, Gold Coast on the 13th/14th June (Saturday practice, Sunday practice & racing). Lucky for you it's one of the best tracks in the country, so get in a race it. This race was delayed from the original date due to heavy rain, as the track is a nightmare [/fun] when wet.

Just make sure you check the dates of the races and get in a least a week early to register on the TWP site as places are limited (sometimes rego isn't open a full week ahead, but keep an eye on it).

As far as racing licence goes - you CAN get 'day licences', which you declare when you register via a tick box on the TWP website rego form. When you do this, it costs you $15 for the 2 days of practice and racing over the top of whatever the entry fee is. While it is an awesome facility to provide 'day licences', it's best that you join a club to support riding in your local area. Long story short, 'day licences' money go to MTBA which is the governing body of MTB here in Oz, but if you join a club, some of your membership fees go back into the club and the development of tracks/riders/facilities.... South side Brisbane have the 'Rats' club, there is 'Gap Creek Cycling Club' over in the west so there are plenty around... call you LBS and they will be able to recommend one to you. If you're under 18 you need you parent/guardian to sign the forms, so if they are not coming with you to the race, make sure they do it BEFORE you leave home, otherwise you probably won't be allowed to race.

Other than that - make sure you have some transport to the racing organised and be prepared to stay overnight in a tent if you have to travel far. Most venues have a caravan park nearby for showers and shit like that. There is always good food and drink available at races and practice usually gets stopped for an hour so everyone can get some food & drink in on Saturday and practice stops and hour before racing starts on Sundays for the same reason (and to check the track over). You need to get at least 1 practice run in before the race, so they latest I would suggest rocking up on a Sunday is 9am. By the time you get your shit together (10:00am, who doesn't take an hour???), shuttle up and do a run it could well be 11:00am (when practice stops usually).

If you haven't raced before, do a search on Farkin/Rotorburn for racing etiquette, as it will help you understand riding/racing with others on the day. Ahhh, stuff it, I just found it for you:

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44791&highlight=DH+etiquette

Don't take it too seriously and relax...
Thats all you really need to know.
Everything is on TWP so go nuts on there and you will learn heaps :D
Everyone at races are nice people so dont be scared to ask someone a question if you are unsure :)
Just have fun...