looking for 2x crank recommendations

spikenet

Likes Dirt
Looking for a good 2x crank for my new bike. I got burnt by the whole FSA 386 Afterburner fiasco (you cannot get replacement rings..) so I want to be 100% sure that replacement chainrings are available now.

I've looked online at the sram x9/x0 cranks but so far I cant see anyone with chainrings and what they will cost.

any idea's?

spikenet

Likes Dirt
do you mean that you cant get aftermarket rings? I just replaced the rings on my 386's with FSA ones
really? what model are they as the only one's FSA can supply are the K-Force Lite type.
I ordered the afterburner ones and importer sent k-force. Apparently they are on "backorder" and have been since June.

Cant find them online anywhere either, only the 42t ring. Mine are the 27/40

MATTY R

Likes Dirt
I just replaced mine with 10speed specific rings so would be different stock. Do you want my 9 speed rings? they are not all that old.

Last edited:

niftydog

Likes Dirt
I fitted a X9 28/42 set on my Pivot at the recommendation of my LBS - turned out the 42 ring was too big and was contacting the chain stay. They swapped them for the smaller rings (26/39) so it seems you can get X9 rings, but I think they might only come as a 2x set. No idea on price as they did it as a favour.

MATTY R

Likes Dirt
Yep they are the 386 afterburners. They are 27/40.

I was going to hang on to them incase I ever go back to 2x9. But I can't see myself ever bothering. Pm me with an offer.

Where abouts on the coast are you?

redbruce

Eats Squid
What is the PCD of afterburner chainrings? Hard to believe no one makes non OEM rings for a main stream brand.

milux

Likes Dirt

milux

Likes Dirt
got any links to the 27, 28 or 40t rings? I've only ever seen the 42t for sale.
The same eBay seller has had the 27 and 40 listed before, when i looked last week he had 42, 40 and 27 but low stock. Just keep an eye on him and other eBay stores, i also log into the US ebay and then ask if they will post to Aus, most of the time they will.