Looking At Starting Trials

Hi All,
I am not sure if this is the right section, but i guess it is trials related, so hopefully it is. Like the thread title states, i am wanting to get into trials, especially after watching just about every youtube clip of Dan MacAskill over the last 2 days... What a machine. Anyway, i dont have a trials bike and i have been looking in the for sale section on here and have come across a cheap Borco Bigfoot. Now as i know nothing at all about trials, would this bike frame be suitable? I am wanting to buy a frame and build it up as a pet project for myself, as i like the hands on stuff.

Please dont flame me for this question, as i am new and as some may say "Use the Search Function" i have but there isnt going to be an exact answer to my question about the frame.

Anyway, hopefully i can read positive feedback shortly.

Cheers
Troy

P.S Just out of curiousity i noticed somewhere on the forum that this forum used to be called Farkin.net. Why was it changed and did that name have some sort of hidden meaning at all?

Lilley

Likes Dirt
The Norco Bigfoot isn't a trials frame so building one up won't be anything special for trials riding. However a cheap hardtail is a great place to start until you can afford a proper trials bike (or feel it is a worthwhile investment for you). A lot of people sell their second hand trials bikes in the Australian section of the OTN forum, might be worthwhile looking there as well http://www.observedtrials.net/vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=13

I guess you already Mountain Bike in some way or another, I would suggest meeting up with some of the trials riders in Brisbane for a spin. They ride in and around Brisbane City/ Southbank most Wednesday nights. Alternatively get in touch with the Queensland Bike Trials Club on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Queensland-Bike-Trials-Club/289135146951

Meeting other riders is the best way to learn about the sport and get a taste of the different styles of bikes people use.

Also feel free to drop me an email, tim@expressivebikes.com I am on the Gold Coast and might be able to point you towards a good starting bike either through my business or second hand.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Get a monty.

They start around $500.

Mention to your dealer that you 'Saw the ad in AMB' for a discount (I think 20% maybe).

will4eva7k

Likes Dirt
Definitely check out and bookmark the observedtrials forum. The majority of aussie trial riders frequent that forum, and there are usually pretty nice second hand bikes that pop up now and then.
Tim and would be helpful and able to direct you in your search for a bike.

If you're looking for more options or just like to see what other aussie dealers have, check out Trialsden.com, my store based in Melbourne.
Email me anytime at william@trialsden.com if you have any questions.

theallcreator

Likes Bikes
The guy I purchased my bike from was Johnny at Rideitall.com, he gave me a great deal on an ex demo frame, and he built it up with new parts. Great bike.
If you don't want to break the bank, have a look in Observed Trials, the australian section often has for sale ads, and is worth a look for a cheaper second hand rig.

ogjon

Likes Dirt
danny mac isn't really a trials rider even though some of his moves are trials related he is & always will be a street rider

shakes

Likes Dirt
danny mac isn't really a trials rider even though some of his moves are trials related he is & always will be a street rider

Have a dig through some of his really old videos... He definitely has a very very trials based background.

ogjon

Likes Dirt
Have a dig through some of his really old videos... He definitely has a very very trials based background.
yeah I know he started off riding a one off custom built trials bike & learning all the trials moves/skills & started riding street more & more, Danny is definitely one of my fav riders.

Lilley

Likes Dirt
Danny's riding would generally be described as street trials, a description that he and his sponsors use. It helps to distinguish his riding from other styles of street riding. I certainly still view his riding as part of the trials discipline and don't see anything unusual in the blurring of lines with other styles. Riders like Ryan Leech and Hans Rey have had great success with this in the MTB community and what Danny does takes it to the next level.

Not that what we call any style of riding really matters.

droctagon

Likes Dirt
The guy I purchased my bike from was Johnny at Rideitall.com, he gave me a great deal on an ex demo frame, and he built it up with new parts. Great bike.
If you don't want to break the bank, have a look in Observed Trials, the australian section often has for sale ads, and is worth a look for a cheaper second hand rig.
I second that!
I got a great deal from Johnny at rideitall.com, he helped me out with a custom build that I recently built.

haltz

Likes Dirt
Ay blokes, lookin at gettin a bike and came across a 26" yaabaa going really cheap (as far as I know) and about 15 minutes from home and thinkin its all fallen into place too easily to pass up. Just wanting to know if they're a half decent bike, keeping in mind I'm not looking to start killing it and winning sheep stations I more just know its a whole lot of fun and easy to jump and be riding unlike downhill with organising mates for times places and shuttles etc. any input would be great, cheers

Lilley

Likes Dirt
Ay blokes, lookin at gettin a bike and came across a 26" yaabaa going really cheap (as far as I know) and about 15 minutes from home and thinkin its all fallen into place too easily to pass up. Just wanting to know if they're a half decent bike, keeping in mind I'm not looking to start killing it and winning sheep stations I more just know its a whole lot of fun and easy to jump and be riding unlike downhill with organising mates for times places and shuttles etc. any input would be great, cheers
Which particular YaaBaa is it?

They are good bikes, especially for anyone on a budget. YaaBaa is a sub brand of Koxx, one of the biggest manufacturers of competition trials bikes.

haltz

Likes Dirt
Well it was a 26" bow but forget the whole thing, the bike had been for sale since April under my radar and sold last night god damn it! What's some other brands I could look into I don't really wanna go over 500 if that helps

droctagon

Likes Dirt
Hey haltz,

You may already know this, but if your seriously keen on getting into trials, and want advice and access to decent second hand trials bikes/parts etc, then www.observedtrials.net is the forum that you need to check out. There is an Australian section in the regional trials thread, everyone there is generally very helpful and happy to give advice and point you in the right direction.
Often there are some great second hand bikes for sale on there, and all the info you'll ever need to get you started and more.

$500.00 should be plenty to get you started if your patient, and do a little research.

Good luck!