Longer brake line for Avid Elixirs

hosssbosss

Likes Dirt
Just wondering what the best way to go about getting a longer brake line for my Avid Elixirs would be? I can install it, but just not sure of the most cost effective way of getting my hands on a longer line.

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
Most LBS's should stock hydraulic brake lines
You'll just need to bleed the brake then you'll be set, if you know how to bleed it that is.....:fat:

sedifus

Likes Dirt
I'd head to the LBS. Even if they don't have one right now they'll have one in a couple days for you with the right length. If you encounter any problems with installation too I'm sure that they'll be happy to help.

driftking

Wheel size expert
As others have said brake hose from the LBS, get something like a foot longer than you need just for adjustment wise, hook the rear up and then adjust the length at the lever, make sure you have full rotation of the bars that is needed. Double crowns are easy as you just need enough to reach lock, singles it is up to you how much you want or need.

Have a look at goodridge lines they are well known for their quality lines.

hosssbosss

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the input guys. What happens with the crimped on ends of the brake line though? Are specific tools required? I can bleed em no worries, just never had to change lines!

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
Jagwire comes with pre-crimped ends and all you have to use is the Avid ends (usually on the lever end of the hose) that seals the hose with the compression olive and barb. A spanner or shifter does an easy fix for that.

hosssbosss

Likes Dirt
Sweet, so I'll have to have a looky at Goodridge/Jagwire pre cut hoses then! Just need to measure up what length I'll need, and see who gets the closest...

Last edited:

MB

Intense Australia
All avid lines come pre-packaged with 2 metres of hose. All you need to do is ask for the line that suits your brake (there are 3 different types) and you're good to go. The three types all have the appropriate factory crimped fitting that suits different calipers. The lever end just uses a universal (avid) olive and barb, Hope this helps!

The three different lines are:

Juicy5,7,ult/XX
Code/Elixir3/Juicy3
Elixir 5/R/CR/CRMAG/X0/Elixir 7/9.

Easy.