Long XC trails / tours in Victoria

riddy

Squid
First post, hi!

Anyone have any recommendations on long trails / overnight MTB tours in Victoria? I'm talking offroad with lightweight kit. I'm thinking this may not go much further than linking a bunch of fire trails (eg Grampians), but obviously would like something a bit more off-the-track.

I'm in Melbourne, but happy to travel a bit for a good ride.

riddy

Squid
Ah yeah great dividing trail looks great, thanks. I've actually walked and run parts of the Lerderderg section before, but I didn't see bikes on it when I was there so it didn't occur to me - also didn't realize you could link all the different sections. Will defs put it on the list.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
You can also use the cross country ski trails if you like high country rides - I did a ride nearly 20 years ago around Mt St Gwinear staying 2 nights in tents.

riddy

Squid
Might look into ski trails too. I really want to ride the razorback from Mt Feathertop to Mt Hotham - would be a great ride, certainly makes a great walk/run. But I'm pretty sure it's no bikes there.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Yeah on second thought perhaps they've clamped down on bikes on the cross country trails? I don't have time to do a decent search right now but I thought there was a good trail all the way from Mt St Gwinear to Hotham, but perhaps not.

I believe they are building an XC trail for MTB from Hotham to Falls Creek, 50km one way. Not sure what the progress is on that.

There's always the rail trails too. They're not my thing but some people like them.

riddy

Squid
Yeah after a bit more than rail trails. Happy to do that with my kid on the bike seat or in the trailer on a credit-card tour. But I'm wanting just me, my bike and the bush. Alpine National Park is also a possibility - there's a lot of 4WD tracks through there that get pretty rugged and remote, so bikes must be ok.

SteveG

Likes Bikes
For a solid day ride, we often ride from Warrandyte to Kinglake on the dirt. It works out to be 80 to over 100km return depending on which tracks you take and how much of the Smiths tracks you do.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For a solid day ride, we often ride from Warrandyte to Kinglake on the dirt. It works out to be 80 to over 100km return depending on which tracks you take and how much of the Smiths tracks you do.
Hi Steve, what route do you take?

SteveG

Likes Bikes
If you search courses on Garmin connect (it's a pain of website), the courses are there named Kinglake loop and Kinglake loop reverse. My user name on Garmin id degrade. I don't use it much as it is very laggy. You can extend it by going down the downhill track along the side of Bowden spur road or or climbing the old Kinglake road after descending the Mt Jeruselem track (kinglake loop reverse). There is singletrack down from sugarloaf but alot of it is dirt road/4wd track.

monc

Likes Dirt