Lock on grips

downhiller_1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well i want some wider bars as seen in my sig... I borrowed a set of lock on's that one of my mates had because mine were shagged... When installing the grips i sat the ends about 15mm of the end of the bars... Is it safe to use lock on grips as bar wideners...? Will the grips snap if you have them sticking out too much?

im currently running hussefelt DH low riser 680mm

if you read this and have bars that are 710mm or wider please pm me:)

D

Deleted member FN2187

I did it for about 6 months on my old DH rig. I just cut 1 inch pieces from an old set of bars and slid them in as well. Worked fine for me but I have heard from a mate who tried it for a while and they snapped. But the consequences aren't terribly dramatic unless you are hanging on to that widest point. Like I said it worked fine for me and I'm 6'3" and 115 kg's.

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd say it depends more on what its made out of. EG the inside of mine are plastic, if I used them as bar wideners they'd break. If you had metal inners I'd expect youd be able to use them as long as the majority of your weight is on the bars. Then again, tip a tree or anything and say byebye grips :p Or even shuttling for that matter.

happy_heretic

Likes Dirt
Hey mate
15mm shouldn't be a problem as it isnt that big of a distance. Obviously the further out you put them the more chance of it being dangerous, as if that 15mm snaps you will still have the rest of your hand on the bars, so no biggy, but if you have half your grip off then you can guess what will happen. 15mm should be fine but personally I would not go anymore.

Sean

norco4l

Likes Dirt
i had 20mm of my odi's hanging off, came off and it broke.
i wouldnt advise doing it after what happend
but plenty of people do it, just dont crash and you'll be fine