Lightest AM wheel discussion.

Ivan

Eats Squid
This would belong in the All Mountain section if it existed, but seeing as it doesn't, I put it here.
(Edit: oops maybe this belongs in Parts n Stuff)
Whats the general consensus on light wheels for 'Do It All" use. Is a 28mm wide rim the smallest you would go? Whats the best value for money wheelset?

I have been wheel shopping lately for something light and strong and the list of options were:

Easton Haven ~1650g (when the 20mm version is released)
Sun Ringle Charger Pro ~1680g
Crank Brothers Iodine ~1865g
Hope Pro II/Dt Competition/Stan's Flow ~1800g
Mavic Crossmax SX ~1800g
DT Swiss EX1750 ~1750g
Sunline AM Wheelset ~1790g
Fulcrum Red zone ~1750g
Fulcrum Red Zone XLR ~1700g

Have I missed anything? the Hope's appear to be the best buy atm.

Last edited:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I was eyeing the hopes to eq 29 (front) and hope to eq 31 (rears) ... which I thought would build to under 1800g. (guessing I was hoping low 1700s, high 1600s) ... I think I went DT competitions as well) ... was about $A450 when the dollar/GBP was relatively high

After reading a bit I ended up compromising due to tight arsedness and getting scared off the eq31s (this wais for a DH build but bare with me) ... and building the rims to existing hubs (I haven't weighed them).

I ended up with an eq 29 (AM) and an eq 31 (DH) Fronts, an MTX 33 rear built and another MTX 33 rim waiting in limbo.

the eq29s went on to a bullit ... I still haven't built up the rear.

I'm very happy with the Eqs on front and both are solid and still straight (I inter change them depending on what I'm riding on the Bullit) ... my front end for both AM and DH rigs are noticeablly lighter then before.

Not very happy with the MTX rear ... but that could have been due to my wheel builder (first time I've used him) ... its pretty bent and dinged ... but still running and no crack *shrugs

So for my Bullit ... I think I will eventually build up the MTX 33 to Hope for the rear ... and see whether its similarly too soft for AM as it seems to be for DH.

Sumo

Likes Dirt
Have you thoght about replacing the Stan's Flow with Stan's ZTR Arch? I'm running them on my Heckler without any dramas.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Have you thoght about replacing the Stan's Flow with Stan's ZTR Arch? I'm running them on my Heckler without any dramas.
I have never smashed a rim, but do you think that a ZTR Arch would hold up to heavy abuse? it's only 24.4mm wide and 420g

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
Sweet. I assume they don't manufactur their own hubs and rims, so do you know who does?
Absolutely no idea, and I haven't even laid eyes on a set yet, but the price is good and on paper they sound decent. Wide range of axle compatibility too, 9/15/20 front, 10/12x135mm rear. Don't think they're tubeless though.

Sumo

Likes Dirt
I have never smashed a rim, but do you think that a ZTR Arch would hold up to heavy abuse?
I guess that depends on rider weight and your definition of heavy abuse. Heavy abuse suggests a flogging, so maybe stick with the Flow.

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
*cough* carbon rims *cough*

Well... You didn't give us a budget!

Edge Composites AM Series
Easton Haven Carbon
DT Swiss EXC1550

That's about your options - pretty sure you gave me one of them as well LOL!

ovadahill

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Crossmax ST 1615 - 20mm available
The DT EXC1550 also comes with a 20mm front

Haven Carbon 26" = roughly the price of a new Heckler frame.

Hey Ivan...maybe we should try to get a group buy for the Haven so that we can save on shipping.

Last edited:

Kamikazee ideki

Likes Dirt
DT Swiss EXC 1550 would definitely be my choice for a super light AM wheelset. If I had the money, I wouldn't think twice about running them, apparently one of the DT test riders raced and survived a whole DH season running one wheelset comprising of an XRC 330 rim on the front and EXC 400 on the rear...

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I guess that depends on rider weight and your definition of heavy abuse. Heavy abuse suggests a flogging, so maybe stick with the Flow.
Id stick with the flow, there only 50g per wheel more and a bit nicer profile for AM.
I cant recommend the Stans rims enough, especially if you want to run tubeless etc. There profile just works.
I run just the tape with my Stans Arch rims and that works fine.

Use some nice light hubs like Hope etc, dt revo spokes, with Stans flows and i reckon you have one of the best wheelsets out there for very little dough!!

Ivan

Eats Squid
Use some nice light hubs like Hope etc, dt revo spokes, with Stans flows and i reckon you have one of the best wheelsets out there for very little dough!!
Revo spokes? I thought they were xc only? I wish CRC would offer supercomp or some bladed spoke options.

Ovadahill said:
Hey Ivan...maybe we should try to get a group buy for the Haven so that we can save on shipping.
I need the 20mm version, and haven't seen them for sale yet....

eyes said:
Well... You didn't give us a budget!
Ah hahahaha. the only way I could afford anything you've mentioned is if I prostituted myself, and then sold all my clients copious amounts of drugs.

Last edited:

smeck

Likes Dirt
Whats the general consensus on light wheels for 'Do It All" use.
My thoughts? If you want do-it-all you need to either spend up or ride a little reserved in some areas, I spent up. My brother runs 20mm EX1750 on his Nomad, I've got 9mmQR Crossmax ST on my Blur LT, neither rim is marked or damaged by rocks and what not. Both bikes have done plenty of AM riding and also the Paluma Push and TripleR, so are both wheel sets are Bump track and +40km XC approved.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Revo spokes? I thought they were xc only? I wish CRC would offer supercomp or some bladed spoke options.
I think when they refer to that they mean not so suitable for DH. But then i’ve seen plenty of people use revolution spokes for FR and DH bikes without any troubles.

Obviously its the age old rule of getting someone decent to build your wheels. And if your going to go with more lightweight parts in your wheels you need to know how to maintain them regularly to keep them running well.

If you cant do this then i recommend getting a heavier stronger build.

JBR

Likes Dirt
If it's any indication of stans rims I run ztr 355's on pro II's on my heckler with schwalbe 2.25's. I am 90kg and ride them pretty hard, my regular riding spots are quite rocky. I have taken them off 6 foot drops, and 3-4' to flat with no dramas, they are still awesome. I think the 32 spoke and 6" of suspension are what saves them.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Obviously not the lightest, but the CB Iodines have been great on my bike. Some solid airs and really nasty trails and all is good. The rear took a huge hit from a stone probably 25x15x10cm last weekend. It took a little colour off, but nothing else. They are stiff and I am really happy with them. Was going for Stans flows, but they just never arrived so I made the change after demoing the CBs