Light Bicycle Carbon Rims/Wheels (Review Included on 1st Post))

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Nice frame. So they come with a threaded BB? Can't seem to get the 29er frame info to work. Might eventually upgrade and move my parts over also. Do you know what length the headtube is?

Ivan

Eats Squid
There are so many available you can get BSA or BB30, and a variety of geometries and weights

Quintin

Eats Squid
Haha, I suppose it's all relative! The IP-057 has a stock 69.5 deg HA, based on a 506 A2C - so, with the rigid fork (486mm) that basically equates to 70.5 HA.

Compared to my 5.7C, nah, not slack at all. But, compared to all of the other Chinese frames I was looking at that started at 71/72 on a 506 A2C (so would run at 72/73), this is almost bloody well Enduro[SUP]TM[/SUP] ;) The short stem definitely helps with the feel too ;)
thats why i went for this one too. it was supposed to be under 70 degrees which was in my brief but i think that was with a longer fork. i have a 490mm a2c and this seemed about normal with my very limited googling and geo comparisons. it all seems mostly in check with other brand names.

Ivan

Eats Squid
I'm glad you guys mentioned that, cause I didn't check the a2c on the ip-106 geometry chart

RazeR

Likes Dirt
Mine arrived in the mail today. Ordered on 14/5/2014.

The 3k matte finish is very subtle and the overall quality appears great. Off to get them laced this arvo

LB_Rim_fullshot.jpg

LB_Rim_CloseUp.jpg

edmo

Likes Bikes
Quick question, I can't find any confirmation on their site, but the valve hole is the presta diameter in both rim walls, right?
Thinking about ordering a couple of rims in the near future!

Gripo

Eats Squid
Perceptions.....funny how I look at 3k weave now and think cheap...when I was into cars 15yrs ago I would have killed for a dash panel that looked like that...

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
Perceptions.....funny how I look at 3k weave now and think cheap...when I was into cars 15yrs ago I would have killed for a dash panel that looked like that...
Ha...
Couldn't agree more. Which is why I went with the UD matt finish. There is no requirement at all re strength to have the 3k weave, its purely for cosmetic reasons. I believe the UD weave is actually stronger.
I have several friends with Specialized Roval carbon wheels, just last weekend I was thinking how they looked cheap and tacky like a fake carbon dash insert!

Catch my rims, frame, bars and cranks in the right light and I think the UD weave looks awesome - there is no mistaking it for fake carbon

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
Ha...
Couldn't agree more. Which is why I went with the UD matt finish. There is no requirement at all re strength to have the 3k weave, its purely for cosmetic reasons. I believe the UD weave is actually stronger.
I'm not a fan of the weave either but while it is a cosmetic layer, it does actually add a little strength to the rim as well, especially at the eyelets.

ChopSticks

Banned
Ha...
+2
also went with UD for this reason...
theres a reason why the bulk of the rim is made from UD.... its stronger!
its also theoretically lighter then 3k hehehe

and the joint where the 3k weave meets would simply drive me nuts (OCD) if it doesnt match.

hopefully mine arrives soon..... realised its only been 8 business days :(
fml its gonna be a long wait !

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Has anyone purchased the complete 26"/33mm wheelset with Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs from LB? I'm wondering if they do a decent job of the build as approx $800 for a carbon wheelset with decent hubs is very tempting.

Also, how are the (cheaper) Novatec hubs holding up for those who went for that option? I'm surprised to read that they're 100g lighter than Hopes, I assumed that for the price they would weigh a ton.

ChopSticks

Banned
I'll be able to tell you in hopefully a few weeks LOL

dont forget to add all the PayPal fees etc
and the quote price is in usd.... So don't expect to walk away with them for $800....

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Has anyone purchased the complete 26"/33mm wheelset with Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs from LB? I'm wondering if they do a decent job of the build as approx $800 for a carbon wheelset with decent hubs is very tempting.

Also, how are the (cheaper) Novatec hubs holding up for those who went for that option? I'm surprised to read that they're 100g lighter than Hopes, I assumed that for the price they would weigh a ton.
plenty of reviews on the novatec hubs if you hit up google. they use standard bearings, so easy to service when they do flog out unlike the bitex hubs (marginally lighter, but propriety bearings)

mine are on novatec hubs, have been fine but then are only a few months old too. spoke tension is good as well.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
plenty of reviews on the novatec hubs if you hit up google. they use standard bearings, so easy to service when they do flog out unlike the bitex hubs (marginally lighter, but propriety bearings)

mine are on novatec hubs, have been fine but then are only a few months old too. spoke tension is good as well.
I've read plenty of bad reviews, but people always like to hate on anything cheap. I wanted the RB perspective, especially from those who have had them built up by LB. Looks like they haven't made an XD driver for them yet, so I'll have to splash on out on Hopes.

Sounds like LB do a good job of their builds, which makes it all the more tempting to take the plunge.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Not much wrong with Novatec hubs except the cheap bearings and the semi disposable freehubs. My experience is that having a couple of spare freehubs is no bad thing because Novatec have had a tendency in the past to upgrade hubs and freehubs rather frequently. BDOP cycling in Taiwan have been helpful...

ChopSticks

Banned
I've read plenty of bad reviews, but people always like to hate on anything cheap. I wanted the RB perspective, especially from those who have had them built up by LB. Looks like they haven't made an XD driver for them yet, so I'll have to splash on out on Hopes.

Sounds like LB do a good job of their builds, which makes it all the more tempting to take the plunge.

looks like you HAVE to splash out :p
they (LB) DO offer builds with XD hubs LOL

I figured the chinese kids would build a fair few wheels in their 20hr shifts.
Surely they cant be that bad? given the hundreds/thousands of happy customers..... (would hear alot of disgruntle customers if they were shit)

also went with complete wheels because they offered full UST/TLR (no rim tape) at no extra cost... something I wouldve been slogged for... had i build elsewhere.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
also went with complete wheels because they offered full UST/TLR (no rim tape) at no extra cost... something I wouldve been slogged for... had i build elsewhere.
That is completely awesome, those Chinese kids obviously don't mind attaching fishing string to all the nipples and tediously pulling them through from the valve hole. It probably makes the build more interesting for them.

ChopSticks

Banned
That is completely awesome, those Chinese kids obviously don't mind attaching fishing string to all the nipples and tediously pulling them through from the valve hole. It probably makes the build more interesting for them.
haha
kids prob thoght ''fucking mofo, making me do more work... I'll build him a crap wheel"

thats assuming they understood my order and dont build me wheels that require rim tape LOL

Edit: just spoke to Nancy to check the status...
they are still 7-9 days away + 4-6 days delivery, slightly delayed due to 3 days holiday in china (31st may-2nd june)
rims are currently in the sanding process, and will take abit longer due to UST build.

Last edited: