Light Bicycle Carbon Rims/Wheels (Review Included on 1st Post))

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm sure they are getting better all the time - for the money, it is hard to justify the 'better' stuff. I wish Zelvy had something a little more XC rather than enduro...
Eyeing off a set of Zelvy 29s. Cash flow is being problematic though.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Ummm… farsports I believe. Sorry for not clarifying originally.
Yeah, as you now Andrew, one of my farsports rims got a bulge at a spoke hole. They sent 2 replacement rims. I got one rebuilt onto the wheel that got the bulge. Have given them a flogging for probably 400k since then and no more problems.

They just sit downstairs looking lonely most of the time as I have other wheels that I prefer. I do trust them now though. Probably should sell them really.

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
yeah, I'd like to move to something wider next year I think. I did ride this past summer on a front rim that was badly splitting/failing at the valve hole (i had the warranty replacement ready to go) - I just couldn't get it to fail, surprisingly.

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Rims arrived today. Damn their light. Had a good look over them. The finish is really nice. I am impressed so far.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
from what i've read, farsports rims are very sub par.
on their road clinchers the brake tracks were terribly warped from factory.
At the time, they were the most highly recommended on MTBR... Fickle things, those bike riders.

RazeR

Likes Dirt
I pulled the trigger on a set of carbon rims from LB for my 29er last week. 3k matte. Going to get them built locally using my existing Stans hubs. Hopefully the lead time is only a couple of weeks - not the 4+ as noted above.

FWIW I'm a 90kg rider and my Stans Race Gold rims (rated to 80kg riders) were not happy with me! I don't bunny hop or jump gutters, just good old XC riding.
ordered mine on the 14th of May. Got an email today saying that they had been dispatched. 2 weeks not bad. Now in the hands of the courier company....

RazeR

Likes Dirt
Any recommendations for a wheel builder in Melbourne for when my rims arrive?

I'll be reusing my Stan's Hubs but likely need new spokes.

Preferably eastern suburbs.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Dan at Shifter Bikes
What sort of money would he charge if all the parts were provided?

I'm pretty confident building alloy wheels, but I'm not sure I want to risk building up the carbon rims I am considering purchasing.

ADD

Likes Dirt
What sort of money would he charge if all the parts were provided?

I'm pretty confident building alloy wheels, but I'm not sure I want to risk building up the carbon rims I am considering purchasing.
Not sure if prices have changed but I think it's about $55 a wheel.

MrPlow

TMBC
Think I'm going to convert my Stans Arch EX with Stans hubs to the 30mm LB version

Probably DT comp, but maybe DT supercomp spokes, alloy nipples
Don't use Alloy nipples on Carbon rims hey fellas. Galvanic corrosion, unless you want your wheel to power your lights :)

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't use Alloy nipples on Carbon rims hey fellas. Galvanic corrosion, unless you want your wheel to power your lights :)
Not sure you are correct

Stan's carbon wheels come with alloy nipples?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk