Life and TPD insurance

zeroth1000

Cannon Fodder
I have seen there are some old threads on this topic,(e.g. MTB and Life & TPD Insurance | Rotorburn ) but I'd like to get some up to date info regarding life and TPD insurance and mountain biking.

As part of a recent application for life & TPD insurance with Zurich I had to answer questions on any sports and pastimes I take part in e.g. cycling and mountain biking. They then asked if I participate in competitive cycling (no) or competitive mountain biking(yes, I have an Auscyling off road race licence and race cross country at an amateur level - C grade).

They have offered Life and TPD insurance, however there is an exclusion on mountain biking
"No benefit will be payable for any claim where the condition or event giving rise to the claim is directly or indirectly related to the practice for or participation in mountain bike racing"

I sought clarification on what exactly constitutes "practice for" racing i.e. would a recreation mtb ride be considered practice for racing OR would "practice for" only include organised training and practice sessions e.g. as sanctioned by AusCycling?
After a bit of back and forth getting non helpful answers eventually the insurer stated "Everything relating to mountain biking is excluded".

Has anyone applied for life and TPD insurance and received cover that doesn't have theses exclusions? If so who was it with?

Similarly I have applied for trauma insurance with OnePath - they have an exclusion on mountain bike racing but will cover recreational riding so long as appropriate safety equipment is used.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
I just popped on Rotorburn to try and research.

My life and TPD are through my AustralianSuper however they also asked re MTB and that activity is excluded.

I guess I'll give BT and Metlife a look over today and go from there.

If anyone else has thoughts feel free to chime in.

beezlbub

Likes Dirt
I just popped on Rotorburn to try and research.

My life and TPD are through my AustralianSuper however they also asked re MTB and that activity is excluded.

I guess I'll give BT and Metlife a look over today and go from there.

If anyone else has thoughts feel free to chime in.
Hey northvanguy was this based on verbal advice from AusSuper? Or is it in their documentation somehwere? And does it related specifically to racing or just mtb in general?

I too have my insurance with them and (at least when I set it up a few years back) I was not aware of any exclusions for mtb. Just did some googling though docs on the website and can’t find anything about it, but fully aware it could be well buried….

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Mountain biking seems to get the rough end of the stick when it comes to insurances. It's like the insurers think we are doing red bull rampage style stuff when in reality most of us are spending the bulk of the buying and selling shit. /endrant

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Mountain biking seems to get the rough end of the stick when it comes to insurances. It's like the insurers think we are doing red bull rampage style stuff when in reality most of us are spending the bulk of the buying and selling shit. /endrant
RSI and carpal tunnel are the real GravelBurn insurance issue.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Hey northvanguy was this based on verbal advice from AusSuper? Or is it in their documentation somehwere? And does it related specifically to racing or just mtb in general?

I too have my insurance with them and (at least when I set it up a few years back) I was not aware of any exclusions for mtb. Just did some googling though docs on the website and can’t find anything about it, but fully aware it could be well buried….
When i went to increase my Life and TPD through the AusSuper webportal - there is a questionaire which specifically asks about mtn biking. All mtn biking is excluded. I had follow up calls with them and they confirmed it. I'll try and dig out the emails... i believe the insurer is actually TAL.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Seeking further clarity on this

View attachment 394330
@beezlbub I spoke to TAL specifically and they confirm you are not covered fro TPD or IP for any form of riding your bike on trails. You are covered if you fall off your mtn bike riding to the shops, but not covered whatsoever for any trail riding.

I still think they have it wrong and they meant to finish the exclusion with "....any form of organised mountain bike riding" but the assure me it is written correctly.

Regardless if it's right or wrong we all know what they'll do in the event of an accident.

So really annoying as now I'll need to get Life / TPD / IP insurance outside of my superannuation.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
@beezlbub I spoke to TAL specifically and they confirm you are not covered fro TPD or IP for any form of riding your bike on trails. You are covered if you fall off your mtn bike riding to the shops, but not covered whatsoever for any trail riding.

I still think they have it wrong and they meant to finish the exclusion with "....any form of organised mountain bike riding" but the assure me it is written correctly.

Regardless if it's right or wrong we all know what they'll do in the event of an accident.

So really annoying as now I'll need to get Life / TPD / IP insurance outside of my superannuation.
It's claimable on your tax return....

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Not all accidents happen on the Red Bull cliffs of Utah, this happened at Manly Dam...a rather tame section of trails by Northern Beaches standards.