Levelling Ground

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im planning on putting in some DJ's near my place, however the ground is fairly rough and uneven due to the trucks and other heavy vehicles driving over it to dump soil. And when I bring the tractor in to build the DJ's that's going to rip up the ground even more. I'm Currently using a manual Roller (similar to the ones they use of turf cricket pitches) but in some places thats not working too well. What would be the best way to level the ground?

Last edited:

RedPill

Likes Dirt
G'day mate. First of all is that your house in the background of the 1st pic? If so your very lucky as you can look over your jumps and protect them. If their are trucks coming through wont they be in the way and get knocked down tho? If you have bompits in between each jump then you will have a smooth track and only need to level out the run in which would be easy with a shovel.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's the cabin on our property (not our actual house more of a guest house) so its still a great location for DJ's. And the only problem with using a shovel is that because im going to be building multiple lines and the long run in is about 15-20m long so thats a large area to be levelling with a shovel. The trucks have stopped coming into the area. Now its just the tractor.

FuTAnT

Likes Dirt
I'd be asking the plant operators to give you a hand and level it for you. Basically you want a small grade to let the water run off as well.

Doing it by hand it possible, but it'l take you quite a while. If so, get some pegs out and start levelling it with string line etc. It'l point out the highs and lows and give you an area to work in. Not much you can do except just start shovelling or raking etc. Using the tractor with the bucket is a much better idea!

You can also hire a wacker packer for the day to get some base level compaction happening. Nothing worse than soft mushy ground.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah i think i'll just get the tractor out and try to scrape it level. Hope the tyres don't rip up the ground too much :(

wdshiver

Likes Dirt
You Have to dig the ground up any way.... I personally wouldn't mind it ripping it up because it would make it alot easier to dig and then compact.

FuTAnT

Likes Dirt
I guess draw a track plan and figure out what you're going to put where. You really only need to worry about the area that'l have your jumps etc. In any case, unless you've got a bobcat I'd say there will be a fair bit of hand work in getting it finished. Start at the end and work your way back?

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No unfortunately i don't have a bobcat. I've got a tractor though... It's a vineyard tractor so its not massive but its got a scoop and backhoe. It's just as effective though :)